• jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Hi Folks,
    Please give me some of your wisdom.
    It has been a long, long time since I owned or used shotgun.
    Just got an 18.5" 12ga 870 Remington smoothbore.

1. What slugs would you suggest for it? (more for defense, etc, not a deer gun)

2 What load would you recommend to shoot for target/getting used to the shotgun?

3. Home defense round?

Loads? Brands? Usual cost, etc?
    Thanks

:bowdown:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I use Hornaday Critical Defense 00 Buckshot for HD in my 870. I also use that for practice at the range.

Slugs, I don't use them for HD. But I just bought whatever was on sale at Bradis.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    for HD distances, I wouldn't sweat it too much. any buck or slugs you can pick up @WM would be fine. Hornady TAP makes me feel warm and fuzzy, but I don't know that it's any better. FIOCCI makes a reduced-recoil buck.

I would add a Knoxx recoil-reducing stock, a Scattergun +2 extension, and a DMW, or Vang follower. (all available from site supporter TSG) A side-saddle is probably unnecessary bulk, as you should be able to fit enough in the gun for HD purposes. A sling also is detrimental around doorknobs, etc., in the house.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    I use Hornady Critical Defense .00 Buckshot & Brenneke Reduced Recoil Home Defense Slug in mine. It's very important to pattern different buckshot rounds, and try out different slugs, to see what works the best for your particular gun.

I keep the magazine tube full of buckshot. I have a side saddle that carries 2 slugs up front, followed by 5 rounds of buckshot.

If you can't find the Brenneke slugs, then I'd try some Remington Sluggers - they've worked well in my gun too.
    I'm also a user of the Knoxx recoil reducing stocks... It's a good product, but the forearm they ship with it in the package is pretty meaty (mine's sitting in a box).

For shooting and reloading drills - bird shot works just as good.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you find a shotgun class. These guys run an awesome program - http://www.michigantrainer.com/

Last edited:

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    It has always been my understanding that 00 buck can potentially over penetrate through walls. I Use #7 shot in mine. I have a smaller house and am not worried about the distance a slug provides. But IMO, anything will work, that's one of the many beauties of a shotgun. Good luck.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    It has always been my understanding that 00 buck can potentially over penetrate through walls. I Use #7 shot in mine. I have a smaller house and am not worried about the distance a slug provides. But IMO, anything will work, that's one of the many beauties of a shotgun. Good luck.

I would'nt bet my life on it or would'nt rely on this theroy 100% but just jacking the slide is going to make alot of intruder's flee sliding in their own s#it

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    i would not be afraid to ese bird shot for homme defense.

It has always been my understanding that 00 buck can potentially over penetrate through walls.

Anything that will penetrate though skin and vital organs will also penetrate through drywall. Its a fact of life (and ballistics).

If you are using birdshot because it won't penetrate through your drywall then guess what? It won't penetrate your intruder either.

Know your backstop, know your shooting lanes, and use something that will put a threat down as fast as possible.

just jacking the slide is going to make alot of intruder's flee sliding in their own ****

This theory is based on the assumption that you are chambering a round within earshot of the BG. I'd much rather have ammo in my gun before I get to that point. It does make for cool movie drama, however.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    :facepalm: oh dear lord, can we pleeease not have either the 'birdshot is good for home defense' or the 'racking the slide scares badguys' discussions again? Pretty please?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    :facepalm: oh dear lord, can we pleeease not have either the 'birdshot is good for home defense' or the 'racking the slide scares badguys' discussions again? Pretty please?

What about the "You don't even have to aim a shotgun. Just point it in teh general direction of a bad guy and it'll cut him in half." I mean really, we all know the standard Cyl bore 12 ga spreads out to a ten foot pattern in the distance of the average bedroom; right?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Oh yeah, shotguns are mythical and made of unicorn bone and tooth enamel. They defy the laws of physics and make the impossible possible. :rolleyes:

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What about the "You don't even have to aim a shotgun. Just point it in teh general direction of a bad guy and it'll cut him in half." I mean really, we all know the standard Cyl bore 12 ga spreads out to a ten foot pattern in the distance of the average bedroom; right?

There are a few folks on here who know, have experienced and understand the advantages and limitations of a shotgun for an offensive/defensive firearm choice. I believe you to be one of those folks and I can spot those who aren't from a mile away....it is usually good for a laugh though.:):

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    There are a few folks on here who know, have experienced and understand the advantages and limitations of a shotgun for an offensive/defensive firearm choice. I believe you to be one of those folks and I can spot those who aren't from a mile away....it is usually good for a laugh though.:):

I am NOT one of those people. I'm still learning about shotguns as I go.
    But even I know that you shouldn't use bird shot for HD, and you just can't "point and shoot".

And, I AM getting a lot better with my lil bead site :D

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I am NOT one of those people. I'm still learning about shotguns as I go.
    But even I know that you shouldn't use bird shot for HD, and you just can't "point and shoot".

And, I AM getting a lot better with my lil bead site :D

That's the important difference. You are learning while doing, not learning while reading some crap you saw posted on the internet.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I would'nt bet my life on it or would'nt rely on this theroy 100% but just jacking the slide is going to make alot of intruder's flee sliding in their own s#it

Do you have to say a tac-cool catch phase as you jack the slide? Something like: "say hello to my little friend" or "your the disease and I'm the cure"
    :D

Top Bottom