• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    There are a few folks on here who know, have experienced and understand the advantages and limitations of a shotgun for an offensive/defensive firearm choice. I believe you to be one of those folks and I can spot those who aren't from a mile away....it is usually good for a laugh though.:):

Stop it; you're making me blush! I'm not very experienced but I have at least patterned my HD gun at realistic distances and have done some practice and competition. That and I've got the Magpul video so I guess I'm close enough to an expert for the 'net!

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Hi Folks,
    Thanks for the lively responses to my thread.
    I'm looking forward to re-experienceing my use of the 870.
    The ammo question was answered, so slugs through a smooth bore are OK for non accuracy work.

My real experience goes back 33 years, when I was a police officer. We were having a rash of thefts out of the penned yards of our auto dealers. We had a sting set up. It was summer, the radio call went out and I heard a suspect coming down towards my position. I emerged from a crouch behind a car, I caught his face with the end of my Remington 870. He had the goods in his hands. I remember his eyes twitching left and right, I said to him; "Please, go ahead and run, I won't miss at this range!"
    Needless to say he layed on the ground with wet pants.

Course My heart was about to pop too.

Power of the shotgun?

It does have a decisive effect, and of course with 00, a devastating close range weapon.
    :soapbox:
    :ingo::patriot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Hi Folks,
    Thanks for the lively responses to my thread.

I realize I never actually answered your OP.

This thread might be of some help to you: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...he_pattern_of_various_brands_of_buckshot.html

Federal 00 Buck with FliteControl is gooooood stuff. :yesway:

(25 FEET!!)
    2zew4fc.jpg

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I use Winchester 3", #1 Buck (24 pellets) XB1231 in my HD shotgun.

:+1:

Excellent choice. Quoting the late three-star General, Thomas Kelly, "a sledghammer is a delightful way to kill a fly."

#1 buck can be hard to find, however, so, 3" 00 buck (15 pellets) is a great, easier to find alternative.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I use Federal Law Enforcement 00 buck as my primary HD load in my Remington 870 18.5"

For slugs I just buy the cheap Remington Slugger Rifled Slugs.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    The ammo question was answered, so slugs through a smooth bore are OK for non accuracy work.

You might be surprised at what a smooth bore shotgun can do with a good slug. Don't be afraid to practice with slugs at longer ranges (50-100 yards) and see what can happen with some different brands of slugs in your gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom