• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • papasmurf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    Indy
    Ive been looking into getting a 12 gauge pump for awhile now but one thing has me at a loss. What choke (if any) should I get with it? Is there any major differences between them? Like this is good for distance or this is better up close and personal. If it helps Im wanting to take it trap shooting with friends, some range blasting, and of course use it as a HD gun. Also would shooting a slug or two give me major problems with chokes and the barrel?

Dakota

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Hagerstown
    If you're in Indy, go out to the Indiana Gun Club just northeast of Indy and talk to Steve about it. He probably has some guns you could even go out and shoot to try.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The purpose of chokes is to restrict or "choke" the bore of the firearm to alter the pattern density of the shot. Cylinder bore chokes don't restrict the shot much while extra full tubes restrict it quite a bit, resulting in smaller, more dense patterns. Don't shoot slugs through full or extra full choke tubes and don't shoot steel shot through tubes that are not specifically labeled for steel shot.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you could only have one choke tube, a modified is a nice in-between that will work for just about all of your uses. Personally I wouldn't shoot a slug through one though, even though it might be ok. Just not worth the risk in my opinion, and extra choke tubes are cheaper than new barrels or medical bills.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    You will probably want a separate barrel for slugs than what you will use for trap. If you are getting a common make and model of shotgun then picking up extra barrels and different chokes shouldn't be too big of a problem.

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    This is probably a pretty dumb question, as I am not very familiar with shotguns. Can you use a choke on just a plain ol' smoothbore barrel? I have a Mossberg 835 if that helps.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    if the barrel is not threaded on the inside of the muzzle end (make sure it is unloaded before you look) then you can't use interchangeable chokes

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I know you're not technically supposed to push slugs through a full choke, but for what it's worth...I do and have never had a problem. That being said, I have never owned a shotgun that takes choke tubes and never will, just personal preference, I'm a bit old fashioned in that sense.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you could only have one choke tube, a modified is a nice in-between that will work for just about all of your uses. Personally I wouldn't shoot a slug through one though, even though it might be ok. Just not worth the risk in my opinion, and extra choke tubes are cheaper than new barrels or medical bills.

Wow, and to think that we used to do it all the time way back before there were changeable choke tubes :oldwise:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wow, and to think that we used to do it all the time way back before there were changeable choke tubes :oldwise:

Yes that is true. But the choke tube contracts the shot at the end of the barrel. I have seen shotguns where steel shot was shot through a full choke, and it created a bulge in the end of the barrel. Basically ruined the barrel (or at least the end of it.) This probably would not happen with a lead slug. Still not any reason to shoot a slug through a full choke. Personally I see no reason to put a slug through a modified tube. I did use to shoot slugs through a single shot with a modified barrel and no tube with no problems.

Not all chokes are the same but here is the VERT guide to chokes. Keep in mind I am not a shotgun guy, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn several years ago. Keep in mind it is common for new guns to come with 3 chokes.

Improved Cylinder - Slugs, Skeet, Upland Game < 30 yards, Steel Shot OK
    Modified - General Purpose, Waterfowl, Late Season Pheasant, Steel Shoot
    Full - Trap, Turkey, No Steel

Keep in mind there are other choices such as Cylinder (No Choke), Rifled Tubes for slugs, Extra Full for Turkey/Coyote, and every variation in between. But for general use Imp.Cyl, Mod., & Full will provide an option for most situations.

papasmurf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    Indy
    Thanks guys

This has been very informative guys thank you very much. I was especially curious about the slug part.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IIRC (from least constriction to most)

Cylinder bore is no choke.
    Then it goes skeet 1 and then Skeet 2
    Then Improved Cylinder
    Modified
    Improved Modified
    Full
    Extra full
    Superfull

Slugs shot up to Modified choke.
    Steel shot, unless specially marked choketube, also to Modified
    Lead shot only in Extrafull or Superfull (those usually for turkey)

Also, watch buying used fixed choke guns/bbls, as what the factory stamped on the barrel may not be what it now is (somebody could have had the choke opened up).

Top Bottom