• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW my buddy got better accuracy with foster slugs from his 1187 smoothbore using a Modified choke tube. Not sure what brand of slug he was running.
    He ran some experiments and that's what worked.
    I don't know if he saw a change in when to clean the barrel (which fouled more at the choke).

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Anything but a full choke. I just got an 870 tac. with a modified choke and i can fire slugs through it with no problem. I had the same question when i bought it and had the guys at gander mt. look up what chokes for slugs could be used. Im talking only cylinder chokes.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    What are you shooting Slugs at? If for defense Modified or Improved will work with the basic shotgun bead on the end of the barrel.

Accuracy wise beyond 40-50yrds you'll be a lot better off going with a slug barrel that has either rifle sights or cantilever setup with scope...

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    i just got a winchester 1300 defender, has rifle sights, but only came with the modified choke. i have slug guns but wasnt sure on the choke issue when it came to slugs!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'm a moron when it comes to chokes, this was helpful! (My shotgun I use for clays/birds has the same choke in it that the previous owner left in it) I always was afraid I'd blow a choke out of the end of my barrel if I used the wrong choke with a slug. Is there one to stay away from? Or a slug/sabot that is dangerous to use? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    It would be better to use a dedicated rifled slug barrel, Slugs have nasty habit of laving a lead trail from chamber to muzzle. A rifled barrel prevents most of this.

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    Ive had good success with my home d guns with cylinder , shooting rifled slugs, out to 50 yds with cylinder" minute of deer accuracy" any thing beyond that I'd go with a rifled barrel/ sabot slug combo if you could. Ive always used cylinder on my smoothies for slug shootin

Top Bottom