• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RealTree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you were in the market for a home defense shotgun which route would you go?

Home Defense ready from the factory (Mossberg J.I.C) or
    Buy a used 500, 870, etc and modify it with a new grip etc.

If buying used, what should I look for? Length, Make, model?

Any other suggestions?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

Any other suggestions?

If you're low on funds, buy a MAVRICK 88{it's made by MOSSBERG} If you have the money buy a BENELLI M1 SUPER 90, with an 18.5 inch barrel, rifle sights, pistol grip, extended mag tube:rockwoot:

Just4Fun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Carmel
    I purchased a Mossberg 500 from a friend at a great price, but with the 28" barrel it would be very hard to maneuver in the house. So now I will be purchasing a shorter barrel.

Barbecue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Anybody know anything about the Pardner pump shotguns? Walmart is selling one for like $160(?). I was considering it, aren't they 870 clones?

I am also considering a 870 or Moss500 as well, decisions decisions.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    One alot of people forget about is the latest series of Winchester shotguns. I just picked up a new Winchester SXP pump a couple of weeks ago. The action is smoother than my Mossberg 590a1 and I like the safety location better than the Mossberg, while the slide release is in a better location than the 870.

Fit and finish are wonderful, I was very pleased and surprised with how nice it was and how good it felt. And for $329 plus tax its competitive in price with both the Mossbergs and the Remingtons, with a noticebly smoother action. You can't go wrong!

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    One alot of people forget about is the latest series of Winchester shotguns. I just picked up a new Winchester SXP pump a couple of weeks ago. The action is smoother than my Mossberg 590a1 and I like the safety location better than the Mossberg, while the slide release is in a better location than the 870.

Fit and finish are wonderful, I was very pleased and surprised with how nice it was and how good it felt. And for $329 plus tax its competitive in price with both the Mossbergs and the Remingtons, with a noticebly smoother action. You can't go wrong!

+1. Agree 100%.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Any other suggestions?

I went through this very same scenario just a week ago, and I went the "buy a used gun and modify" path to try to save a bit of money. In retrospect, I didn't save a lot, after all was said and done, but I really enjoy "projects" like this so that has to count for something. :)

I went with a used Mossberg 500A purchased from another INGO member at a great price and added a new adjustable stock (to fit my very small wife and XXL me), a new forend and other goodies. I also completely stripped and worked over all the internals. I now know what makes it "go" and feel confident there isn't anything I can't repair should it break. Which may turn out to be a benefit at some time in the future...

There are several new guns out there that fit the HD bill, I would look for an 18 1/2" barrel to make it easy to manuever in tight spaces. A picatinny rail or some other provision for adding a light as most things go "bump in the night", therefore they need to be illuminated and identified. An adjustable stock is something I can't do without (your mileage may vary here). Additional aftermarket items, for me anyway, included a laser...there's something reassuring about an instant confirmation as to where your shot will go...

As far as make and model that is up to you, whatever feels best is the one for you...

Thats my $.02, hope it helps...

-Drew

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Why hasn't any other INGO member mention a semi-auto for HD

<cough>Saiga<cough> :D

The predominating view is to do what the military and police do. Hence the popularity of the pumps. Especially the Mossy's and the Remy's. Truth is - any RELIABLE shotgun will do well as HD. SxS, Semi, or Pump.. Length of barrel matters -for turning corner purposes. Lights, lasers MAY matter according to ones preference and training. After that - it's down to price and preference. Play with them, find what feels good to you, and what's in your price range, THEN shoot the heck out of it!

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    It all depends on what the OP wants it for, gonna test fire it and load it up and leave it in the closet just for home defense then I'd say the Maverick 88, gonna play sometimes with it the the 870 with the screw on flash hider, it also allows for interchangable chokes, gonna put 2000-3000 rounds a year through it then spend the money on the Benelli.

For my situation, bad left arm and have a hard time running a pump, want to play a little with one, I'm looking at the Mossy 930 SPX

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Right on:rockwoot:I've never shot an sxp but have handled one. Excellent control placement, very smooth, chrome lined barrel (I think) and very handy due to its lightweight construction. My favorite local shop (Dave's) has had one on the rack for months now at $300. I was ready to buy it the other night, till I saw he got a Saiga12 in- couldn't leave the store without it!

As to modifying a shotgun, it rarely pays off unless you get it dirt cheap. Sometimes guys can find good deals on guns with 28" barrels and cut them down. Outside of that, I'd say buy it the way you want it to begin with. Just about any will do well for home defense.

Top Bottom