• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am looking to accessorize my Mossberg 500 12ga.

Tactical Mod.
    I am looking to do a tactical project on a budget. I have the sling. I still need a nice red dot sight (not scope), collapsible stock, pistol grip, new fore end, 18.5 security barrel, and maybe a flash light to mount to the fore end.

Hunting Mod
    I bought the 500 field/deer combo, so I have the slug barrel but it has the scope mount built in so I just need a nice shotgun scope.

I am looking for suggestions on brands for these items listed.

I am looking at a Phoenix Tactical stock right now, an EMA tactical pump handle, and a sightmark red dot.

And for the Scope I was thinking Bushnell Banner 1-4x32 shotgun scope.

Any thoughts???

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Thinking of a similar tactical mod for a mossy 500. So, I can follow this thread, but not offer much advice! :)

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I am looking to accessorize my Mossberg 500 12ga.

Tactical Mod.
    I am looking to do a tactical project on a budget. I have the sling. I still need a nice red dot sight (not scope), collapsible stock, pistol grip, new fore end, 18.5 security barrel, and maybe a flash light to mount to the fore end.

Hunting Mod
    I bought the 500 field/deer combo, so I have the slug barrel but it has the scope mount built in so I just need a nice shotgun scope.

I am looking for suggestions on brands for these items listed.

I am looking at a Phoenix Tactical stock right now, an EMA tactical pump handle, and a sightmark red dot.

And for the Scope I was thinking Bushnell Banner 1-4x32 shotgun scope.

Any thoughts???

well, what is your budget, its hard to reccomend parts without a price point?

asquinton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    I'd put a ghost ring site on it, whack the barrel down to 18.5", put a decent light on it an run it. You'll have no issue smacking a paper plate target at 50 yds shooting 12 ga pumpkin balls all day long.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Cabela's: Mossberg Replacement Shotgun Barrels

this is an 18.5 barrel from Cabela's. around $95 plus shipping. These are OF Mossberg factory barrels I believe. For a home defense gun, this is a good first step IMO. Next would be a light, then probably a side saddle. A collapsable stock is not that much of an improvement if you ask me. Get a pistol grip if you want to be able to swing the gun without bumping things. If you are really worried about that, save your $ and get a handgun to supplement the 500 with an 18.5" barrel

Already Gone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    South Bend, In
    I like the "keep it simple" idea for most everything in life.

I would suggest going to a gun shop and handling some "tactical" shotguns. You may like some features on some and not on the others.

With the 500 having the saftey on the top, you may find it hard to get to with a pistol grip AND collapsible stock. IMO I like pistol grips/bird heads w/o stocks.

I would recommend getting a longer tube and shorter barrel for more capacity and easy to move around indoors. I think there is a 6 or 7 round tube avail for the 500. There are shorter barrels to

If its going to be a true indoor tactical gun, probably fancy scopes, dots, etc arent really needed. A side rail for a lite may be a nice add-on.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a spare 18.5" barrel if your interested. Let me know. Barrel has never had a round down it.
    I put on an ati talon with scorpion pad. I then used a hogue forend on mine.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I would be willing to bet anyone recommending a home defense shotgun with a pistol grip and no stock has never trained with one.

IT SUCKS! I hated it, but I taught myself to handle it well enough. Still train with it at least once a month. Comfortable enough with it to trust my life. But damn it, practicing with it sucks. Even light loads.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A 1-4X scope for a deer shotgun is nice. At 1X it makes close movers easy..........if the stock fits you. Cantilever bbls place the scope too high for me, even with high comb stocks, I'm looking at the end of the cantilever rail in proper form.

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I haven't posted here in a while. So here is an update. I picked up a field and stream scope for the slug barrel. it is a nice touch I believe 1-4x32. For the tactical part of the shotgun, I bought a 18.5" barrel, blackhawk stock/forend combo, tri-rail for the front of the mag tube, and a laser/flashlight combo w/ pressure switches. I am still impartial to optics on it for defense. I like the thought of it, but not necessarily the look of it.

Top Bottom