• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Since I already own a number of pistols and two rifles, I feel it's time to add a shotgun to the list. Just wanted to throw out some questions and see if anyone had some tips that might speed up the selection process. I'd mostly be using it for non-competition clay shooting and home defense. I think the biggest concern for me is I have shorter arms than the average guy and from a few of the traditionally designed pump-actions it's uncomfortable trying to work the action. I think this applies to most of the Mossberg's I've handled. Anyone else have this problem and know of some that have the action a bit closer to the trigger?

I'm sort of interested in the new Remington M887 Tactical (Remington M887 Tactical Review | GunBlog.com - Your source for all things Guns) as well, and it seems to have a lot of the bells and whistles I'd like to have. The action also looks like it might be more comfortable. Any experience with this new shotgun? And finally I guess are there just some companies or models to stay away from and other pitfalls? Like I guess it'd be best to stay away from turkey guns or expensive competition model shotguns or ones that are only expensive because you're buying the name along the side. Thanks for the help!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have a Remington Spartan O/U, its a great sporting shotgun. I use it on clay and birds alike. It appears that you are looking at more of a semi-auto. I don't have a preference in that line, or enough time behind one of them, so I can't advise.

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Well, a semi-auto would be nice, but I wouldn't feel like a man without first owning a pump-action, haha. I also found some reasonably priced pump Benelli guns on their site. I guess I'd just have to spend a weekend holding all the different ones out there. I'm not sure which would be better tho when it comes to pistol grip or traditional and if i want traditional sights or ghost rings...

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    The M887 pump seems to be a modern revision of the older 870 pump.

I have not handled or shot one. It definitely appears to be suited for HD and maybe deer hunting.

The stock rails for hunting optics and a flashlight or laser is good.

I have bought the Remington 870 Express HD for around $300 before, so $500 is more than I want to pay for a pump.

The review you posted was promising, but sometimes reviews are biased.

Good luck and please post some first hand experience, if you choose the M887.

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Hmm, I have seen a lot of people say get an 870 and use the money on after market parts to customize it. It might be between those two Remingtons, since like I said the Mossbergs seem to be built for giants in comparison to my arm reach. I'm guessing bead sights for clays since it allows you to focus on more space while ghost rings for more tightly grouped/accurate type hunting or target shooting?

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    FYI, I saw a new M887 tactical for $399 on Gunbroker. I also saw a few models of the 887 with longer barrels (different lengths), that would help with shooting clays. Prices start at $300 NIB.

I would like to handle and shoot one myself. I admire the 870, but would like to see if the modernized M887 is just as solid and reliable. I like the ported choke and stock mounting rails.

One of the significant upgrades, is that the M887 will handle up to 3-1/2 inch shells. I have read positive and negative reviews on the M887.

Last edited:

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Go for the Remington-either model will reward you with years of service-it is the best and most reliable shotgun you can get for the money.

I think that's what it might boil down to. The Benellis look a bit too futuristic with their design, and a lot of the Brownings are all too fancy or for hunting purposes. A trip to the gun shops are in order to handle some of these shotguns.

I'm interested in the 887 for the new tech and redesign and has a lot of mods already built in, but the 870 seems to be like an old reliable work horse on the cheap.

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    An 870 can be configured to do just about anything you want to be able to do with a shotgun. Additional barrels, stocks, choke tubes....endless possibilities. :rockwoot:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I had the 870 in various styles. Marine Coat, parkerized, Blued finish. Tough to beat, they are dependable. Bought a Pardner Pump 12 ga, fiber stocked, parkerized, bead sight, and it works like a Rem 870.

Slander Mountain has them on sale in ad for today for $199.99. Excellent truck gun, not bad for a tree stand, or in the home, defense gun. Will accept most aftermarket Rem 870 accessories. Surprised me for the money.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If cycling the action is difficult, it's not your arms that are the problem. The problem is the Length Of Pull (LOP) on the stock. Shotgun stocks are notoriously too long and that is problematic, as you have experienced. See if you can handle a similar shotgun with a short LOP stock or a youth stock. Those are usually better suited to most folks anyway. :twocents:

Top Bottom