• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    1. How many of you blue loctite the chokes in? I've noticed that it seems to need tightened throughout the day of shooting.

2 What chokes are used for shooting slugs through a normal barrel? I normally just swap the barrels for my other pump shotguns. I know a lot of guys shoot slugs through a normal barrel. Is someone willing to school me on this?

3. How many of you have done modifications to your own shotgun? I'm not sure if I'm ready to take a dremel to my versamax. Are there any local gunsmiths that can open the loading port/weld lifters etc.?

4. What do you all keep on the chokes to keep them from rusting? I've also seen the exposed bare metal on modified shotguns and I'm wondering how they don't rust.

Yes I'm a noob with a shotgun.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    no loctite on chokes. bad idea. Just keep them tight.

some companies make a slug choke but whatever you do don't shoot a slug without a choke in barrel. Slugs are for slug barrels.

keep the chokes clean and oiled but not too much oil. shouldn't rust that way. Chokes shouldn't rust period IME.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Imp cyl seems the most popular for shooting Foster slugs.
    Some folks do better with a Modified choke.
    They make rifled ones, that can help...........but they might lead rather quickly (hey it's easy to unscrews and clean and put back in).

Slug barrels are typically short, due to heavy recoil/slow velocity projectile (reduced shooter input).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shooting with the choke tube in..............is a good idea.
    Fine and shallow threads don't need contaminates.
    Stuck choke tubes...........suck. Removal attempts can damage the bbl.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I know to always use a choke. The last time I was shooting it was lightly raining I think that's why I'm having issues with the rust. I have a winchester 1300 with both barrels and that's what I used to deer hunt with and then I would swap out the barrel after deer season was over. I think I'll use a .308 this year.

Imp. cylinder is what my guess would have been.

Another question. Where does everyone buys slugs? I normally only used slugs for hunting and would just pick them up at rural king, but I read everyone using low recoil slugs. Is there a common online dealer everyone uses?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    1. How many of you blue loctite the chokes in? I've noticed that it seems to need tightened throughout the day of shooting.

2 What chokes are used for shooting slugs through a normal barrel? I normally just swap the barrels for my other pump shotguns. I know a lot of guys shoot slugs through a normal barrel. Is someone willing to school me on this?

3. How many of you have done modifications to your own shotgun? I'm not sure if I'm ready to take a dremel to my versamax. Are there any local gunsmiths that can open the loading port/weld lifters etc.?

4. What do you all keep on the chokes to keep them from rusting? I've also seen the exposed bare metal on modified shotguns and I'm wondering how they don't rust.

Yes I'm a noob with a shotgun.

Just looking at your questions, is this shotgun for 3 gun use?

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    Yes, that is my intended use although I haven't competed in any matches yet. I've been practicing my quad loads and it is a work in progress lol

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Use CLP for the rust issues. IF you're using RemOil it doesn't work for rust. They've changed that formula a few years back.
    I just use the cheapo Winchester rifled slugs. I never had an issue with them so why change. They shoot where ya point 'em. I've been shooting them in modified chokes for decades 'cause that's what I had that shot slugs the best. I've also shot a bunch through full choke barrels. IIRC they don't recommend that but I haven't had an issue with them. .
    I use Slip 2000 on my choke tubes. I haven't had issues with tubes backing out or even loosening up. I do give the choke tube wrench a smack to snug them in the barrel. DON'T loctite in your choke tubes.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I use clp anywhere the gun needs oil, as for rust I use flitz and I use a graphite grease on choke tube threads. As for slugs I still like the old Breneke rifled slugs and use either imp cyl or modified choke and have had good accuracy with them

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I use....................Remoil.

Yup, that worthless crap has kept several shotguns and about a half dozen or so chuketubes...........spotless.

But I probably sweat Hoppes #9.

Oldest choketube is probably............I dunno, a dozen yrs old. They're stainless. Dunno if my 8 yr old turkey choke is, it's black. No rust.

They're in a tackle box of gun crap, some haven't been used for a few yrs. No rust.
    I do store some rings and other parts in little zip bags. Remoil and zip it up.

Top Bottom