Shotgun recommendations for 13 year old birthday.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Our oldest sons birthday is coming up. He will be 13 in October. We have gone over several options and have settled on a shotgun. He has shot several different shotguns and handled them all well. He has shot clay pigeons with an old single shot 20 gauge that kicked like a mule and loved it. He has shot my mossberg 930 semi auto 12 gauge at the pigeons as well. It is a bit heavy for him, but it didn't slow him down too much. He has also handled a Maverick 88 in 12 gauge.

I would like to avoid a youth size gun with the hope that this will be a gun that he can keep for years and years until he is ready to upgrade and hand it down or put in the safe or whatever. We would like it to be capable of shooting clays recreationally, squirrel hunting, and should he decide to, deer hunting. I know very little about shotguns so please be gentle. Is this a reasonable expectation to be able to do all 3? If not, clays and squirrels are the priority.

The fun part.
    Budget is up to $250 with bonus points for closer to $200. This is important. Nothing over $250.

If it's a single shot, 20 gauge is preferred. Pump or semi, 12 or 20 is fine.

Able to shoot clay pigeons recreationally, hunt squirrel, and shoot slugs for deer. Pigeons and squirrel are most important

Not youth size so he can have it and continue to use it for several years but still be able to be handled comfortably.

If any of my criteria are way out of line, please let me know. Like I said, I have very little shotgun knowledge.

Let me know what there is out there INGO. Thanks in advance.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    H&R pardner pump take your pick 12g or 20g with Synthetic stock and changeable choke tubes. I bought one in 20g for my daughter when she was 13 (she is 16 now) and it has been fantastic for shooting clays, squirrels, and rabbits. When I bought it I gave $213 out the door. And yes it is capable of being used for deer too. Been happy enough with it I may get one for my wife too

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    Picked up a Stephens 320 in 12ga couple years ago for my godson's 14th.

I remember H45 did a video on it a couple days before I made the decision.

He's a good clay shooter. And still putting shots through it.

Ran me about $200 otd including ammo and various accessories.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cant go wrong with a 500 or an 870. Avoid the 88 as those are sub-par and not as many options long term. (you want it to last a lifetime, and they dont take the barrel below AFAIK)

The 500 (and I THINK the 870) can take a rifled, cantelever barrel for deer. The beauty in that is when you get the scope dialed in you are set. Simply remove the barrel for scattergun use, and since the scope is attached the the barrel, it stays zero'd for next season. (you'll want to double check it anyway, but its better than re-zeroing a receiver mounted scope)

You will probably find it easier to get to that price point with the 500, but the 870 is also awesome.

I've had my 500 since I was a kid, and wouldnt trade it for the world. A great reliable gun. No frills but LOTS of options. its the 10/22 of shotguns.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    H&R pardner pump take your pick 12g or 20g with Synthetic stock and changeable choke tubes. I bought one in 20g for my daughter when she was 13 (she is 16 now) and it has been fantastic for shooting clays, squirrels, and rabbits. When I bought it I gave $213 out the door. And yes it is capable of being used for deer too. Been happy enough with it I may get one for my wife too

That looks promising. I'll have to take him and get his mitts on one to see how the weight is.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Picked up a Stephens 320 in 12ga couple years ago for my godson's 14th.

I remember H45 did a video on it a couple days before I made the decision.

He's a good clay shooter. And still putting shots through it.

Ran me about $200 otd including ammo and various accessories.

Have to check that out as well.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Cant go wrong with a 500 or an 870. Avoid the 88 as those are sub-par and not as many options long term. (you want it to last a lifetime, and they dont take the barrel below AFAIK)

The 500 (and I THINK the 870) can take a rifled, cantelever barrel for deer. The beauty in that is when you get the scope dialed in you are set. Simply remove the barrel for scattergun use, and since the scope is attached the the barrel, it stays zero'd for next season. (you'll want to double check it anyway, but its better than re-zeroing a receiver mounted scope)

You will probably find it easier to get to that price point with the 500, but the 870 is also awesome.

I've had my 500 since I was a kid, and wouldnt trade it for the world. A great reliable gun. No frills but LOTS of options. its the 10/22 of shotguns.

The 500 is definitely on the radar, it's just a bit high on price I think. I will look though. They are good guns.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The 500 is definitely on the radar, it's just a bit high on price I think. I will look though. They are good guns.

They are an excellent investment, without going overboard on something like a 930, 870 or 1100.

And I am sure there are lots of them lightly used out there that would put them down low enough.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Go with the 12 ga; light loads at first- otherwise he outgrows it in a couple years. Bought my son an old savage 12 single when he was a skinny 12 yr old- he still uses it, retires from the USAF next year

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree if he can handle the 12g I would go with that too. I was given my first gun when I eas 12 and it is a Browning BPS 12g. It was a tad long for me at the time but to this day it's my favorite shotgun

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    Maverick 88 would be a good choice for your price range and you can add Mossberg 500 barrels to it in the future if you want to give it multi purpose.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    For $200-250.00? I need to go shopping with you!:rockwoot:

I thought I was pushing it with the 870 youth but knew you could find a used one for close to that.

My apologies...I did not see that there was a price cap until now. :): I guess I missed the fine print. Still, maybe the OP would consider an upgrade to an Ithaca?You gotta admit. It would definitely still hold its value when the young lad got older. Just a thought.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom