• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    OK, a couple of years ago I decided to take my dad's old Remington 870 and cut the barrel down for a home-defense weapon.

When I was done, I took some leather and made a cover for the buttstock that had 5 leather loops on the side opposite the cheek-piece.

I've shot it a couple of times, but it mostly stays in my bedroom closet.

I was looking at it the other day, and I noticed that the brass part of the shells in the leather loops have some greenish gunk on them. I took the shells out and they cleaned right off, but I haven't put them back in. The leather is veg-tanned, treated with neatsfoot compound and a sealer from Tandy leather.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's a nice looking leather piece, and I'd like to keep using it.

IMG_6131.jpg
    IMG_6132.jpg
    IMG_6129.jpg

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When Peace officers wore leather cartridge pouches, a very fine film of vasoline was used to protect the brass. The nickle cases were better if you walked an outdoor beat.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    When Peace officers wore leather cartridge pouches, a very fine film of vasoline was used to protect the brass. The nickle cases were better if you walked an outdoor beat.
    Drop pouches, now that's old school! By the time I was on the beat we had graduated to speed loaders! My first duty weapon was a S&W 686 4" SS .357 - loved that gun.
    Just be careful about getting any vaseline on the primers. I would just check on the shells every now and again and make sure they stayed clean.
    BTW - That is one nice looking sleeve. GOOD JOB! :yesway:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Chemicals in the leather causing the shells to corrode. Could weaken the metal over time.

Do they still chamber when corroded like that? If you still want to use the shell holder, a very nice one by the way, I suggest just rotating the shells out over time. Take it to the range and use the old ones for practice when they start to green and switch in some fresh ones.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you don't know what type of tanning process was used the chances are pretty good that shells will corrode if left in a leather sleeve for very long. If I must keep shells on a gun 24/7 I use a nylon carrier. The green stuff is technically called "verdi gris". Which is Latin for " nasty green funk".

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    It will do that with any leather/brass and a little moisture over time. You need to stay diligent in wiping down the shells with an oily rag every once in a while.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've encountered the " nasty green funk" on the loops of an old gunbelt of my grandfathers, may have started on the ammo that was in the loops, but spread to the leather itself. Comes back every few years still

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I thought I would avoid it with veg-tanned leather, since that doesn't use tanning salts, but it could be the neatsfoot compound. They're big loops and not very tight, so I might try to put in a thin cloth liner in each loop.

Top Bottom