• ...and so much more!
  • Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Shotgun

If You are intent on an autoloader I would look for a used remington 1100 they are a very well made shotgun, and you can find them in your stated price range .

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    i have a 870 wingmaster but want an autoloader too. and i agree with the 1100, i have been trying to get my old man to sell me his 1100 special field since it just sits in the case. any others you would suggest?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Beretta 391, hands down, if you will shooting a lot of clays.

My neighbor came by a couple of weekends ago to shoot some crows and brought a 28 gauge Franchi AL 48. It is the lightest, quickest handling shotgun I've ever picked up and I'm very inclined to go find one before upland season. He reports that they are a little fragile and won't hold up to heavy sporting use though...

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    yeah i will be mostly shoot clays but there is a chance of a lot more upland hunting since my uncle just moved back to kansas so im itchin for a new good multi purpose gun

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I really enjoy my Remington 1187. I think I picked it up for $550, so maybe not too far from your starting point on the budget.

For another semi-auto to look into, I would guide to the Mossy 935. My girlfriend shoots the 935 for clays, ducks, and geese. It has been a great gun and runs about $100 less than the Remington I believe.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

My neighbor came by a couple of weekends ago to shoot some crows and brought a 28 gauge Franchi AL 48. It is the lightest, quickest handling shotgun I've ever picked up and I'm very inclined to go find one before upland season. He reports that they are a little fragile and won't hold up to heavy sporting use though...
    Specifically what problems? I've been beating in mine for 7 years, nothing wrong at all, my favorite grouse gun, by far!

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Specifically what problems? I've been beating in mine for 7 years, nothing wrong at all, my favorite grouse gun, by far!

The guy has had a couple of 20s and now a 28, and at least on the 20s he ran into regular FTEs after a couple of thousand rounds. The 28 hasn't seen that many rounds yet.

I'd never put that many rounds through a hunting gun, and the thing comes up to the shoulder and points like dream, so I plan to run into one soon enough.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I've got the 28 if you want to try it, you can shoot it like a pistol, it is so light. I've hunted in some nasty woods and swamps, in really cold weather, but if you keep it lubed (it likes to run wet), factory or reloads, it's a shooter.

Looking back, that's still less than 2000 rounds, 1/10th the amount of my 20 ga Benelli Cordoba.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had an 1100 sp and a 391 Beretta. Both are good dependable shotguns. The shape of the wood stock on the Beretta worked better for me than that thin composite stock on the Remington, and the Gas system on the Beretta was more depenable with a wider variety of shells, but the Beretta was twice the money. You cannot go wrong with either. At the World Sporting Clays event in San Antonio, almost every semi auto was a Beretta so I think that speaks volumes to which one hold up best if you fire 10's of thousands of rounds per year.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    At the World Sporting Clays event in San Antonio, almost every semi auto was a Beretta so I think that speaks volumes to which one hold up best if you fire 10's of thousands of rounds per year.

And some of my best rounds at sporting clays had been with an Ithaca Model 37 pump, made in 1955. You can buy better technology, but not better skills.

For $300, I'd buy an Ithaca or Winchester Model 12 and a huge pile of shells. All the misses will be because of you, not the gun.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Like others have mentioned the Beretta AL390 is great for the money. You might want to check out the Weatherby SA-08. I think these are retailing around $400 - $450 new for synthetic stock model and a little more for the wood ones.

Businessend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    North side

Is the 391 available in the $500-700 range?

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    Suggest you go to local gun shows and check out-can't go wrong with the remington 1100-11-48 or 11-87. The big Indy 500 show is the 18-19 and 20th. of this month and is a good one with lots of good used guns to see.I will have a table there with one of thse Franchi .28 Ga. that was mentioned by another post but you probably are looking at a .12 Ga. Good luck in finding what you want!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    i have a 870 wingmaster but want an autoloader too. and i agree with the 1100, i have been trying to get my old man to sell me his 1100 special field since it just sits in the case. any others you would suggest?
    Dude you can find them used no problem, except models like mine, which has the standard stock instead of the english, 1 of a run of 50 guns.
    :)
    I shoot a lot of clays with it too, in spite of the short barell, but I have other guns as well. A used Beretta 303 or newer model is a good gun for the money.

The best deal I have done recently is a new Benelli M2 American for $799. MSRP is $899 and they go on sale a few times a year for $799. All synthetic, plain jane M2 without the comfortech stock to keep price down. At Dick's and a few other retail chains. This one is a 20 gauge, only the 12 is shown on the Benelli web site. I prefer Benelli and Beretta over the 1100's if I am shooting a lot rounds in the same day but the Special Fields are the exception due to smaller size. I like hunting with it when I run my dog.

There are also some lower cost versions of Beretta at Walmart. Same marketing guys as Benelli, same tactic.

Buy used 400-600 or save up and buy new 700-1000. Don't buy a POS semi you will regret it.

FYI the Weatherby SA-08 and one of the Mossbergs are the same gun. It is either Russian or Turkish, I forget.

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    I would go to a gun show and look for one-you can't beat the Remington 1100's=there is a gun show at Indy. the 18,19 and 20 of this month and they will have thousands to look at.I will have a table there and have one of the Franchi .28 ga. guns mentioned by 6 birds but feel you are looking for a .12 Ga.=check out the show and good luck!

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I don't think anyone has mentioned Browning. They make a good auto shotgun. The old A5 is hard to beat. If you look around you can find really great used ones with the Invector Plus choke system in the 6-800 range. They also make the new Gold and Silver autos and those are going to roughly be about the same money used.

Top Bottom