• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    So, if I was to go out and buy a Mossberg 500 that has a pistol grip on it, is it considered a pistol or shotgun by definition?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    So, if I was to go out and buy a Mossberg 500 that has a pistol grip on it, is it considered a pistol or shotgun by definition?
    If you buy a NEW Mossberg that comes with both, pistol grip AND shoulder stock, it is a shotgun.
    If you get one that is a "pistol grip only", it is not considered a shotgun. Iirc, it is just considered a "firearm".
    Supposedly, you can actually put a barrel shorter than 18" on a "pgo" firearm, and as long as the overall length is under 26 (or is it 26 1/2?) inches, it is not considered a "AOW".

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    PG on a shotgun is.......dumb. Dumb dumb dumb.........dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb........dumb.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    PG on a shotgun is.......dumb. Dumb dumb dumb.........dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb........dumb.

Marky Mark used one in a movie I sawed before and it worked pretty good for him. He was even looking down the barrel, using the sights.
    I think your just jealous.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I have one that came as a pistol, it was a Mossberg 500 that came with ONLY a PG. Dumb? In a crowded place being able to move with such firepower easily isn't dumb in my eyes. They are remarkably easy to shoot from the hip AND do so with accuracy at the ranges they are intended for, short, indoor ranges. So if that's dumb, then so be it. I am fine with it since I'm sure I'm dealing with nothing but experts here.

If you are asking because you want to make it a 14" barreled shotgun like another thread is endorsing w/o a tax stamp, then do so at your own peril. These are being done on a BATFE ruling letter. These letters hold no value since they are easily reversed and the BATFE doesn't even need to say why they are doing so.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Shoot those guns with PGs long enough, with slugs or buck and it will give your wrists a new version of carpal tunnel. Leave the stock on or try AR15 style slider stock w/ grip.
    Very effective Home defense gun.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Does anyone teach the defensive shotgun with pistol grip? I can only imagine what that's like, 3 days and 800 rounds later...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Shoot those guns with PGs long enough, with slugs or buck and it will give your wrists a new version of carpal tunnel. Leave the stock on or try AR15 style slider stock w/ grip.
    Very effective Home defense gun.
    I don't shoot slugs, too much over penetration. I don't use a rifle for HD either since I live in town. I'm only what to stop the attacker, not my next door neighbor sleeping in his bed.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I don't have a link, but Indiana does rule any shotgun with a pistol grip as a hangun regardless of barrel length. I believe there was a case where someone was charged with carrying a handgun without a license.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I don't have a link, but Indiana does rule any shotgun with a pistol grip as a hangun regardless of barrel length. I believe there was a case where someone was charged with carrying a handgun without a license.

ESTEP v. STATE, No.?49A02-9901-CR-41., September 29, 1999 - IN Court of Appeals | FindLaw

Indiana Code
    IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Interesting but that is only protection against the state prosecuting me for shortening the barrel. The dang BATFE can and will still put me in jail. The gun was register on the 4473 as a hand gun when I bought it. :dunno:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    What's the worst thing that could happen?

motivator5547637.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/20034-i-done-went-did-now.html

Pistol grip shotguns are best left for the mall ninja.

[video=youtube;Ju98y0D_0Qo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju98y0D_0Qo[/video]

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    I don't care about all the personal comments or other stuff. I came here looking for a factual answer. That's all!

if a guy bought a brand new pistol grip shotgun, could he legally cut the barrel down to 10"?
    I want to see where this is discussed in legal code (either Indiana or through batf)

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I don't care about all the personal comments or other stuff. I came here looking for a factual answer. That's all!

if a guy bought a brand new pistol grip shotgun, could he legally cut the barrel down to 10"?
    I want to see where this is discussed in legal code (either Indiana or through batf)

no

https://nfa.ca/resource-items/barrel-and-firearms-lengths

From the NFA handbook:

2.1.2 Weapon made from a shotgun. A weapon made from a shotgun is a shotgun type weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.
    2.1.5 Any other weapon. Firearms meeting the definition of “any other weapon” are weapons or devices capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive. Many “any other weapons” are disguised devices such as penguns, cigarette lighter guns, knife guns, cane guns and umbrella guns.
    Also included in the “any other weapon” definition are pistols and revolvers having smooth bore barrels designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    What cool about a pistol grip is that with a shotgun you don't even really need to aim it, just point it in the general direction.

Hell, you don't really even need to fire it, you could keep it empty......... just the sound of a racking shotgun will send criminals scattering.

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Question 2

if a guy bought a pistol grip shotgun, could he legally possess it in his vehicle without a carry permit?

Top Bottom