• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kc9djn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Can anyone recommend a good, reliable shotgun, 12 gauge. I was only planning on spending 500 dollars or less. I have owned many pistols, but never a shotgun. Thx in advance

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    you do not mention what you will be using the shotgun for ? ie home defence, hunting, both ? this would make a dif on what people would recomend, there are alot good shotguns out there for that price range, if you gave a little more information you might get a better responce.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    For a social shotgun (i.e., a self defense shotgun), I recommend a Remington 870 Police model.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    For a great all-purpose 12 gauge, a Mossberg 835 is what I recommend. If you can't find one, or it just doesn't feel right to you, an 870 will suffice.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you for the suggestions. I wanted the shotgun for home defense.

For home defense; the Mossberg 590's w/ghost ring sights are the "cat's meow".

mossberg_590_2.jpg

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    If it was my money I would get either an older Winchester 1300 Defender or Remington 870. I had a very poor experience with Mossberg so I couldn't recommend one.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I would recommend 870 Express. They are quite a bit less than 500. Their police version has a short barrel, and the magazine tube doesn't have the ribs on it so you can put on a magazine extension if it doesn't have one already.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    For HD work the mossy's are fine, the only issues I've found with them is the plastic safety switch, which can be replaced with a metal aftermarket one, and the open elevator negates the ability to use shorter shells than the 2 and 3 quarter standard reliably in them... Otherwise a fine piece of equipment...

The Benelli Nova Tactical is great... handles everything from 3.5 inch magnums to the Aguila 2 inch shells and handles very well... The only problem with them is the expense of getting different bbl lengths for it after the original purchase... Better off to just buy another Nova... The Super tactical has some added options but they pumped the price up on them also, just out of your 500 dollar marker to be exact...

I haven't owned a 870 as of yet but lots of friends have them and I believe it to be a worth while investment... You can get one till the end of the month at the Cabelas in Hammond, actually the 870 Tactical express, with the short bbl, matte finish, extended mag tube all ready to go for 349.00 if they have em... You know the times we live in right now...

The 870 has the enclosed elevator so it would handle the shorter shells if you needed too use them...

Just my .02 cents worth...

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I posted this the other day in another thread about Home Defense shotguns where someone was asking about the differences between Mossberg 500s & Remington 870s.

These are just my personal quips about why I prefer Mossberg's over the Remingtons.

First off the location of the safety.

On the Mossberg's the tang safety can be actuated on or off without taking your finger off the trigger or your cheek off the stock.

On the Remington you have to break both your grip & your cheek weld to actuate the trigger guard safety.

Secondly the position of the loading gates.

On the Remington the loading gate is always down, which means your thumb gets pinched every time you slank a shell into the magazine tube.

On the Mossberg the loading gate is always up, which means it's up out of the way of your thumb when your slanking shells into the magazine tube.

Thirdly the position of the slide release.

On the Mossberg the slide release is behind the trigger guard & can be quickly actuated simply by moving your trigger finger down upon it, while pulling back on the slide.

On the Remington the slide release is in front of the trigger guard & you have to break your grip in order to reach up and actuate it.

Fourthly from the factory the Mossberg 500's magazine tube holds one more shell than the Remington 870.

With all of that said, the Remington 870's are well made shotguns, the action definately feels awhole lot smoother than the Mossbergs, in fact I love how smooth my Rem 870 is, however they do not have very well laid out controls when compared to the Mossberg's.

Anyway that's my .02

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I agree with Richard on the safety, I'm a lefty so getting my 870 off safety is quite difficult because I have to wrap my hand around to trigger guard to switch it to off safety.

Concerning the slide release, it doesn't bother me whatsoever. I'm used to the slide release being where it is, and I don't have to break my grip to get it. :dunno: (don't have big hands either) I naturally reach there when I want to pump any shotgun.

I also don't get pinched when I'm loading shells, but that may just be due to how I hold my fingers compared to Richard.

I'm not saying Richard was wrong, each to his own. No gun is perfect for anyone, the best thing to do would just go to the store and play with both versions see which one feels better in your hands and when shouldered. Get what you want, we can give you advise but what we say really doesn't matter. What is better for you? In the end either choice is good should last you the rest of your life.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've been using an 870 since I was 12, so maybe it's due to familiarity, but I don't break grip to operate the safety.

You do have all your fingers, right?

Actually, it sounds like you might have small hands.

Last edited:

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tv,

The only way you could possibly actuate the safety on & off without moving your hand is to reach through and across the trigger, & that's the quickest way to accidently "touch one off" that I can think of, so I really hope that is not what your doing.

Jforrest,

I have really long nimble fingers (guitar player) and I cant reach the 870 slide release without breaking my grip, so you'll have to show me how you manage to reach up to the opposide side of the front of the trigger guard without moving your hand, I'll even bring my camcorder.

Oh and btw, if you have never had your thumb pinched by an 870's loading gate, then you've never loaded an 870 - it's just the nature of the beast.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Have to reach around to engage the safety(make the gun safe) I can use my middle finger on the other side to disengage it(make the gun dangerous)

I normally don't worry about breaking my grip to engage the safety anyway, so it's usually not much of a concern, but I know it can be done.

Top Bottom