• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ND=negligent discharge, breach of duty to do something or failure to do something.

AD=accidental discharge, usually mechanical failure (you do everything right, but weapon still discharges), e.g. a slam fire on an 870 at Shootrite, have you heard that story?:laugh:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    ND=negligent discharge, breach of duty to do something or failure to do something.

AD=accidental discharge, usually mechanical failure (you do everything right, but weapon still discharges), e.g. a slam fire on an 870 at Shootrite, have you heard that story?:laugh:

Thanks! And no, I haven't heard that story! You have me curious...

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    And in the history of unintentional discharges, 99.997 of them have been negligent, the rest accidental.

Reference: Official Journal of Made-up but Sincerely Believed Statistics.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Whipping that dead horse is the only way people will listen.

Rep to the first person who can name Kirk's Top 5 "Dead Horses". :laugh:

Kirk I saw you stop by the INGO table but I was busy talking with another member at the time. I'll get a handshake next time. ;)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Rep to the first person who can name Kirk's Top 5 "Dead Horses". :laugh:...

Well, lessee....In no particular order:

1. Coffee in Broad Ripple
    2. Insult Rhino
    3. Kirk's First Law
    4. "No good food outside of Detroit...."
    5. (toss up between) "I got the LTCH recognized in Texas" and "Prosecutors grabbing their lapels and rocking on their heels"

:D

In all sincerity, despite his idiosyncrasies, I'm glad we have people like Kirk here, because he, like many of our INGO lawyers, does do a fair amount of good and provides legal advice in a general way to those who might otherwise never get it and wind themselves up in a mess of trouble through ignorance of the law. Now if we could just get him to take down that silly Union Jack and realize that duck eggs are no better than chicken eggs, he'd be a pretty tolerable guy!:):

Blessings (and a bit of mischief... in what color should that be typed?),
    Bill

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My son an I are getting ready to head for the show...never been there on a Sunday....hope all the smelly people are at church. That was always my main concern at these shows, but not anymore....hope we don't get popped by a vender, its a shame really....the percentage of being shot at the 1500 is probaly higher than anywhere else I will be this yr.....wonder if a guy could make some bucks selling bullet proof vests just as you enter?

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'd love to see clearing barrels at the 1500. I always thought that the "empty guns here" sign was a poor backstop.

That said, clearing barrels are no defense for stupid. This imbecile ignored a safety rule that clearly says no loaded guns. There should be no expectation that such an individual would take the time to walk to a safety area and properly clear his firearm. None what-so-ever.

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    I too would be interested in seeing the vendors actual name. I can see no reason to purchase from such an individual in the future either. Gun safety is not rocket science, but looking around sometimes ... common sense even seems more common.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I too would be interested in seeing the vendors actual name. I can see no reason to purchase from such an individual in the future either. Gun safety is not rocket science, but looking around sometimes ... common sense even seems more common.
    ^^^+1.. Post up his name..I'm sure that he probably will show up at the local smaller shows.
    We need to avoid this "Person" like the Plague. It's not like bad-mouthing him, if it's true..Bill.:popcorn:

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    Clearing barrels would be great but only if used properly. How about someone at the door verbally giving instructions. I know this sounds stupid for those of us that are careful but there are alot of idiots carrying. Clearing area should be well away from front door. Obviously this guy was careless so he gets what he deserves but be careful throwing stones. I know several people who are careful and great shooters who have had dumbass attacks. I know everyone cuts corners or gets careless at times. This guy was stupid and I have a hard time with people who accidently shoot themselves, especially when cleaning. I personally have never cleaned my weapon before it was completely disassembled. But Ive seen several people shot from cleaning a loaded weapon. As a Squad Leader in Iraq, my medic had an accidental discharge at the entrance to the chow hall. Luckilly it was in the clearing barrel but he got smoked never the less. We got back from a 12 hour mission and we were all very tired. He walked up pulled his M9 from the holster, then pulled the slide to the rear and released it. A round flew out and he then dropped the magazine. He then point into the clearing barrel and squeezed the trigger. BANG the round he put back into the chamber after clearing the weapon with a loaded magazine still in discharged and he dropped the weapon. So be careful frying someone for an accident, it can happen to all of us. I do stupid things at times when tired so I never clean my weapons after a day at the range until the following day when Im sharp. Luckilly this guy only injured himself and it appears he must have had it pointed in a safe direction except for his hand being in front of the barrel lol.

indytoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    1.treat every weapon as if it were loaded
    2. never point a weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot
    3. keep the saftey on until you intend to fire
    4. keep you finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

well given those four rules - yeah, i am kinda suprised someone shot himself.

EXACTLY.

(seldom post; almost never quote...)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Well I am going to run the risk, of upsetting, a lot of you .....
    But, IN THIS CASE, a magazine disconnect,WOULD have prevented this ND ..... I have owned, and carried, a S & W, model 59, since 1979, and it has a mag., disconnect, as does my S & W, 645, I have carried both, and KNOW how to USE them, for me, at least, the mag., disconnect, causes, no problem ..... as for this "vendor" well as Paul Harvey used to say, YOU, know the rest of this story .....:twocents:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I think clearing barrels would be a great idea, make the officers who are checking guns stand next to it, give instructions, then strap them after they have been cleared. And of course, dealers must follow this as well. :twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    But, IN THIS CASE, a magazine disconnect,WOULD have prevented this ND .....

So would a gun lock. But that doesn't mean I'd advocate one on your carry gun.

It all comes down to the safety between your ears. In this case, his safety failed.

Rich.Carpenter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Fishers
    Exactly! I was going to take my young son to this show, now...:xmad:

I'd consider the fact that there is a *possibility* of this sort of thing happening at any gun show when making the decision to take loved ones. After all, the place is absolutely packed full of firearms and ammo. The only way to ensure accidents are prevented is for *everyone* to follow the rules, and there's no way to ensure that.

That is BS he will not be charged. At least they should revoke his LTCH. That negligence could have made you one short in your car ride home tonight.

I certainly understand how someone might feel that way, but I think, all things considered, I'd disagree. I think it's plenty that he's been banned from the show. No one was hurt except the offender. The last thing I want to see is law enforcement becoming overly eager to pounce on any indiscretions. We worry about the news media overreacting to this, and rightly so. Overreactions won't serve our cause, whether it is the evening news or ourselves, but we can all learn from it and use it as a reminder to remain ever vigilant. You can bet *he* has.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    We are assuming the guy even had gun experience. He may have been related to the 2 young guys I saw today. Pick up a gun and push this little button thingy...oops, something fell out of the bottom and hit the floor. I thought the vendor would verbally thrash them. Not a word, kept a close eye on them, looked upset, but handled it well. I say he should have asked them to be more careful at a minimum and ask questions if u do not understand the operation of a gun. Forgot they were waving the gun around...I got out of there.

Now u see why they could have been aforementioned vendors kids? Sorry, had to throw that out there.

Top Bottom