• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    + 1 for the Lyman manual. While there are free load data pamphlets available from powder makers, you need at least one good manual that explains the nuances of shotshell loading. It is not recommended to swap components like primers, hulls, was, etc. All this and loading sequences are illustrated and explained nicely in the manual. As mentioned above, pick out a hull you will use and stick to it. You can vary the wad and powder (as listed in the manual) to get the type of load you are looking for.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Ballistic Products makes the best, non-powder company sponsored manuals and they are also inexpensive. They are specific to each type of shotgun shooting, meaning if you shoot a lot of skeet, there is a Clays oriented manual. Personally, I only used a manual when I started loading slugs and only because I was dong a fair bit of experimentation with my loads. Shotshell loading is a lot simpler recipe-wise than metallic reloading. It has a lot more to do with selection of components, especially wads, than anything else.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I learned from the Lyman Manual, I don't remember which edition. I actually used the load data from it also. As time went by and different powders and wads became available and I started using data from other sources. Lately I use the Hodgdon.com web site. It is very detailed and I have been happy with the information.

One thing I have learned is not to trust the bushing chart, always double check powder charges with a scale. The powder weight will also be different on depending on the press. A progressive press that completes a shell every time you stroke the handle with show the powder weight based on one vibration cycle causing packing of the powder. If you are using a simple press like a MEC Jr. that powder gets packed more because the handle pumps at least 5 times to complete a shell. Some flake powders will pack enough that the weight will increase to over max load. I always recommend double checking after running the press through how ever many strokes it takes to make a complete shell.

Good Luck.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    .......One thing I have learned is not to trust the bushing chart, always double check powder charges with a scale. The powder weight will also be different on depending on the press. A progressive press that completes a shell every time you stroke the handle with show the powder weight based on one vibration cycle causing packing of the powder. If you are using a simple press like a MEC Jr. that powder gets packed more because the handle pumps at least 5 times to complete a shell. Some flake powders will pack enough that the weight will increase to over max load. I always recommend double checking after running the press through how ever many strokes it takes to make a complete shell....

Very good advice. Completely agree.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I agree, never trust the bushing or any sort of auto powder drop system, always weigh your charges to make sure they are dropping what you think they are dropping. This means to weight the first few then pick a number like ten and weigh each tenth drop to be sure it's all still going as planned.

Another thing I have to say is consider a MEC reloader. I've used others but the MEC is the one I kept and continued to use to this day.

Driller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Noblesville
    +1 for the MEC. The size master and Jr models are as full proof as they come and have good resale value if you want to upgrade in the future. I get most of my recipes from the website of the powder manufacturer.

Top Bottom