should felons be able to purchase weapons??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I believe if they have been deemed to have paid their debt to society and have been returned back into the fold that they should also have all of their constitutional rights.

Having said that:
    It would be nice if prisons would be a place of rehabilitationand not a place to build a "better criminal" through weight lifting, gangs, and swapping of trade secrets with other felons. Prison should be completely undesirable place to go (no tv, computers, no fun time, hard labor, etc). This would remove the flippant attitude of those who are repeat offenders.

jpoole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    exactly; i could see not giving a murderer a weapon. but a man with something as simple as theft (not that i contest to thieving) or possession of marijauna should be allowed to enjoy hunting or simple shooting.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sure. Get their rights reinstated. If they are truly rehabilitated, this shouldn't be a problem. If they committed a violent crime and cannot provide sufficient evidence that they will not re-offend, then no.

My own $0.02: Once you are released from jail/parole, you are a full citizen again. If you are still a danger or have not "paid your debt", you should not be out.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    a felon could use the weapon for security reason or simple things such as hunting?

The only way I would support giving felons their rights back is if all laws we have in place today restricting the law abiding are appealed. Do away with all LTCH/CWP have constitutional carry in all 50 states with no restrictions on where or who can carry. Until that happens felons will just have to wait, don't do the crime if ya can't do the time.

jpoole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    with the way the world is people need protection and i think even a felon could use a 306 in his truck.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If they have paid their debt to society then yes I think they should be allowed to defend themselves. There are many nonviolent felonies out there and it is kind of ridiculous that someone who commited felony check fraud or something 15 years ago cannot own a firearm.

.40caltrucker made a good point as well though :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    What most people do not realize, is felons may have single shot muzzleloaders. Being a felon does not bar someone from hunting...

So, they legally CAN have a gun... but they only get one shot ;)

I say, if they are too dangerous to release into the general population, why do we? If they are safe enough to be released, what is the big deal with allowing them to have guns?

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I say if you're a felon who has been deemed socially acceptable and ut back on the street, you should be able to own a gun IN YOUR HOME. I don't think allowing them to carry outside the home is a good thing. That being said, I also think a lot of the felonies shouldn't be felonies. You can have a felony for driving without a license 3 times, why should that make someone a "convicted felon" ?

Unfortunately all felons get lumped together and share the same fate on this.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is an interesting topic. In my opinion I would say someone that has committed a violate offense should NOT be able to own a firearm. But non-violent felons can.

For instance, say someone is a felon for lets say a computer crime, which is a non-violent offense. I would not see a problem with them owning a firearm for self-defense or hunting.

Someone who has been convicted of say First Degree Murder, should NOT have a firearm even for hunting. As they have already proven the mental ability to end a person's life.

Now a felon can still obtain a firearm illegally, and there is nothing anyone can do about that.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I guess really I do not believe we ever need to bar people from owning firearms...

However, I do not believe a first degree murderer should be released... Our incarceration system does not rehabilitate people... If you commit a crime of that nature, you no longer receive the benefit of the doubt - you have shown yourself to be violent towards other people, and forfeit your own life.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Felons & Firearms

No way, they should not have that right , they gave it up when they committed the crime.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I say if you're a felon who has been deemed socially acceptable and ut back on the street, you should be able to own a gun IN YOUR HOME. I don't think allowing them to carry outside the home is a good thing. That being said, I also think a lot of the felonies shouldn't be felonies. You can have a felony for driving without a license 3 times, why should that make someone a "convicted felon" ?

Unfortunately all felons get lumped together and share the same fate on this.

I am sorry but if you are either too stupid, or too arrogant to break the same law 3 times and didn't get it the first two times shouldn't the punishment get stiffer? Hell for that matter if you don't have a license it's for a good reason so why are you driving anyway?

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    People fought and died so we can have the rights we enjoy today. So, yes, I believe any free citizen should have the right to own a firearm.

It's sort of a mute point to take it away from felons anyway. If someone decides to start or return to a life of crime they'll easily get a gun either legally or not.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Im sure there are some convicted felons that have learned from their mistakes and want to live a better life. On the other hand, there are twice as many that will continue in their wrong ways. I think it would be hard to allow some to buy guns, and not others.

Top Bottom