• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Ok here is the problem, I have a GRIZZLY & WILDEY 45 WINCHESTER MAGNUM, I only have 350 rounds of 230 gr. hollow-point ammo, should I buy more of this rare ammo or should I buy more common ammo like 9MM, 45 ACP, & 223:dunno::dunno::dunno:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just my :twocents: but I'd buy ammunition in calibers that you have guns to shoot. Not sure how muych you are shooting the .45 Win Mag, but it would make sense to have some more of it on hand, or at least the ability to reload for it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Just my :twocents: but I'd buy ammunition in calibers that you have guns to shoot. Not sure how muych you are shooting the .45 Win Mag, but it would make sense to have some more of it on hand, or at least the ability to reload for it.
    I have two set of RCBS 45 WIN MAG. dies & 80+ used brass, The 45 win. mag ammo is hard to find & expensive, I'm even think of selling the used GRIZZLY & new WILDEY, & buying 9MM, 45 ACP, & 223 ammo, cause I can always trade it or used it:dunno:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. Are you asking if you should sell, or stop buying ammo, for your more obscure gun so you can buy a larger volume of ammo for more common chamberings? Is this a question of only having a certain amount of money to work with and wanting to buy more total rounds with that money?

I have several guns chambered for wildcats or obsolete rounds and they do not cost a whole lot more to shoot because I reload for all of them. The difference in cost for me to shoot 44/40 or 9mm is nominal, because I reload for both. If I were buying factory ammo for both, I could probably get 3 times as much 9mm ammo, for a certain dollar amount, as I could 44/40. I'm greedy; I want to shoot them all! So, I reload and the problem is solved.

You have a cool gun and at least some of the stuff you need to reload for it. If you buy the rest of the stuff and learn how to do it, this question becomes null and void. Up to you.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm going to buy AMMO, just asking if I should buy rare ammo or common ammo, once the rare ammo is gone, it's going to be hard to shoot those guns, but most people wouldn't use 45 WIN. MAG ammo for self-defense

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    So you want to buy ammo strictly as an investment? Or a hedge agaisnt a panic buy? Sorry im still not clear on your intentions....

Most people who own weapons that shoot rare calibers roll their own..

I would (load) buy ammo for weapons you own..if you own all of the popular calibers, i would (load) buy ammo when the deals are good.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    My Two cents Worth.

I would keep the pistols,dies,and the brass that you have.

Surf the Net for all of the .45Mag. brass that you can buy at a fair price+get to loading..Bill.

BigRiggs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Most people would think 350 rounds was plenty. If you reload or pay someone to reload for you, you could fire each case 10 + times.

If you are looking to just spend some money, buy reloading equipment for the calibers you own.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm going to buy AMMO, just asking if I should buy rare ammo or common ammo, once the rare ammo is gone, it's going to be hard to shoot those guns, but most people wouldn't use 45 WIN. MAG ammo for self-defense

If there was a smiley that said "You're over-thinking this!" I would insert it here. ;)

Asking other folks what you should do with your money, or what guns you should buy ammo for, is...a little odd. Are you sure you're not just wanting to talk about the 45 Win Mag? It's a very powerful cartridge, that's for sure. I'd have to be a lot richer, and a lot dumber, before I'd own a pistol chambered for the 45 Win Mag, but not load my own cases for it. That's kinda like owning a nice bass boat and paying someone else to go fishing in it for ya. :twocents:

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008

Huh???? The part I have bolded makes no sense given that you can buy new .45 win mag brass from starline for $189 for 1k cases. With a thousand cases, you could reload a LIFETIMES worth of ammo....:dunno:

linky for brass: Starline Brass - Maker of America's Finest Handgun Brass

Obviously from what I have written above, you BUY common ammo and reload for rare ammo as Broom_jm alluded to. But, that is just me.....

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom