• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I was out today for a short walk in a small woods in central Indiana looking for mushrooms. To my surprise I ran across two bird carcasses. My initial thought was that they were turkey buzzards. Closer inspection revealed two gobblers. Both had the beards, lower legs (for the spurs), and the breasts cut out. Surprisingly, at least to me, the wings, heads, and tail feathers were still there.

I haven't looked to see if turkey season is in in Indiana, but even if it is, is there a violation for dumping the bird carcasses ? There's probably not much likelihood of being able to determine who may have dumped the birds - so I'm thinking there's not much reason to contact the DNR (?)

Attachments

• IMG_8364.jpeg
      IMG_8364.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 48
    • IMG_8363.jpeg
      IMG_8363.jpeg
      1 MB · Views: 48
    • IMG_8362.jpeg
      IMG_8362.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 48

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Tagging to see if they ask you if you were involved... no good deed and all of that...
    I thought about that. I've not had a great experiences with the the DNR- neither time was I doing anything wrong but my interaction(s) on two occasions resulted in me being accused of hunting from my vehicle and baiting - both during deer season.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Correction (I think). In my post I said the tail feathers were still there. I just looked at the pic again - and now believe the tail feathers were removed.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I thought about that. I've not had a great experiences with the the DNR- neither time was I doing anything wrong but my interaction(s) on two occasions resulted in me being accused of hunting from my vehicle and baiting - both during deer season.

Given this background: Why call them and borrow trouble? While you did not break the law, you would then have your name associated with the incident.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    The birds could been shot in another state legally and brought here and dressed out then dragged off by another or just discarded there….some people only save the breast meat spurs, beard, and tail feathers

Many other states' season is already in…..

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes, I would call the kings men to come and see someone may have poached his turkeys. Knowing the only suspect would be myself(or possibly a loved one).

I do not care for poachers. That said when I lived in northern Minnesota I knew a few Ojibwe who still subsistence hunted(up there it was legal...for them) and understand a small minority of poachers may fit into that category.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yes, I would call the kings men to come and see someone may have poached his turkeys. Knowing the only suspect would be myself(or possibly a loved one).

I do not care for poachers. That said when I lived in northern Minnesota I knew a few Ojibwe who still subsistence hunted(up there it was legal...for them) and understand a small minority of poachers may fit into that category.
    Yeah but if they were hunting because they were hungry they would take the whole bird.

Top Bottom