• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    IME, it’s best to go thru your own insurance company. The downside is you have to pay the deductible. But it’s less headaches all around.

I will never deal with “the other guy’s” insurance company ever again.

I did the “go through other guys insurance “ once. I will never do that again. Yes, you have to pay your deductible right away but if they determine it isn’t your fault, you will get it back.

My first wreck in my in my previous car I went through the other company. I was in the left lane of a one way and they were in the other. At an intersection they turned left directly into my path. I was looking straight ahead and didn’t see them pull out of a parking lot and somehow they didn’t see me. Did about 6,000 in damage to my car. After two weeks their insurance determined they were 90% at fault and I was 10% because I didn’t try to avoid the accident. I ended up going through mine as I was unwilling to accept any responsibility. It was a two week repaid process and I ended up paying for two days of car rental since I had the car over 30 days. Save yourself the headache even though it should be their fault and go through yours.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You guys need either Allstate or Geico.

My experience over the last couple of weeks has made me slightly less jaded about insurance companies. You should not have to pick "whose insurance company to go through". Contact yours, and they should want to get the at-fault insurer to pay.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

My experience over the last couple of weeks has made me slightly less jaded about insurance companies. You should not have to pick "whose insurance company to go through". Contact yours, and they should want to get the at-fault insurer to pay.

Listen to this guy; for he knows that of which he speaks. Both professionally, unfortunately, personally.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    First of all, my wife has recently gone through a similar issue. While sitting at a stop sign a little over 2 weeks ago, her van was rearended which ended up totaling the van (there is a thread on this elsewhere).

We reported the incident to our insurer and, of course, you should always promptly report the accident to your insurer. Our insurer took over contact with the other driver's insurer and they (Geico) accepted liability for the accident immediately. They informed us that the van was totaled Friday, and the check was in our pocket Monday morning.

As to the injury, the most important thing right now is for him to get the care he needs. Err on the side of getting him checked out and at least recorded in the medical records that he has complaints from the accident. Make sure your insurer and the other driver's insurer are aware of his physical complaint and that he is treating. Generally speaking, there is Medical Payments converage that will pay any medical bills regardless of fault. Your insurer and the other insurer should work out between them who will pay the Med pay.

As for possible lawsuits should the other driver's insurer decide to not play nice, I would suggest a lawyer. There are plenty of competent PI lawyers, but I would prefer to choose one from referral rather than billboard, phone book cover or TV commercial....though these are some pretty good TV commercials.

[video=youtube;GmZiqwRnwtM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZiqwRnwtM[/video]

[video=youtube;jr2gdPY-88w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2gdPY-88w[/video]

Great videos. Can't wait for the second on to hit TV, is that going to be on The CW or TBS? :):

We've had Geico for a decade now. Never had an injury to deal with but had 2 small claims. One was the deer that jumped out in front of me a couple years ago. The other was from those 70mph straight line winds from about 5 years ago. It picked up something in the yard and smashed it into the side of my wife's 4Runner. Nice big dent in the drivers door. Geico took care of both of them with no problems.

We are considering a switch to Amica due to Geico raising our rates a little bit every 6 months. There were no rate increases after the 2 incidents, but the last couple years they've pushed it up every time it was up for renewal. The reason the give me is "well it's Indiana, high claims.".

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Seriously? Is that a legitimate question given all the lawyer advertising out there? Just pick one, interview with them and let them run with it. Rear end hits with soft tissue injury are their bread and butter. It’s all done on a contingency fee basis, so if they don’t reach a settlement they don’t get paid. What’s not to like?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Seriously? Is that a legitimate question given all the lawyer advertising out there? Just pick one, interview with them and let them run with it. Rear end hits with soft tissue injury are their bread and butter. It’s all done on a contingency fee basis, so if they don’t reach a settlement they don’t get paid. What’s not to like?

If there is a PI claim, I would mostly agree. As to the property damage claim, a lawyer may be necessary or may be the best way to slow the process to a crawl.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    IME, it’s best to go thru your own insurance company. The downside is you have to pay the deductible. But it’s less headaches all around.

I will never deal with “the other guy’s” insurance company ever again.

This, except your own insurance should then subrogate and get your deductible back for you, and their own money back as well.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

This has been my practice as well.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Call your insurance. Subrogation. I gave the hospital my insurance info when I arrived. No bills. Rental car next day. Had all my money in a week and a half, including deductible. Once my insurance settled I had to return the rental vehicle. I didn't have a car yet. I had also been in contact with the at fault party. Called up my claims lady and told her what was going on. She said, honey you keep that rental for a full 30 days if you need to.

The at fault party claims person said she would call back with a purposed settlement amount, including lost wages. She let me know I have 2 years to settle but once you do its done so make sure all your future, if any, medical expenses are covered.

I've been very pleased with both companies responsiveness.

My insurance American Family. At fault insurance, Donegal.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Just STFU and Lawyer up. NOW.
    Don't post squat, Don't speak squat.
    The other ins. co has already shown you aren't important and they're not going to assume responsibility until ordered to or at least kicked in the ass with the indisputable facts to where they must own up.
    Again... STFU----Lawyer up.

Top Bottom