• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MegaTank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Goshen
    Just wondering if anyone has any cons about joining the NRA? I see the potential benefit for sure. If this is posted somewhere else please provide a link. Im still new to forum layouts and all. Thank you for any information.psyko

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They will fight for your rights, though at times you may disagree with positions they take. Such is life. The positive vastly outweighs the negative.

....and they will call you and call you and call you for money. IMHO small price to pay for what they do.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah the only downside is donation solicitation spam, but that's not a huge deal. Getting a subscription to the American Rifleman when joining the NRA more than made up for it.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    They will fight for your rights, though at times you may disagree with positions they take. Such is life. The positive vastly outweighs the negative.

....and they will call you and call you and call you for money. IMHO small price to pay for what they do.

Yeah the only downside is donation solicitation spam, but that's not a huge deal. Getting a subscription to the American Rifleman when joining the NRA more than made up for it.

These...

Super Trucker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    In front of you

NRA Member Services FAQ
    https://www.nramemberservices.org/members/faq/faq.aspx

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
    A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

MegaTank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Goshen
    Ok well I went ahead and joined for 2 years. Ill see how it goes and go from there. Thanks for the respones.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I told them never to send me anything again(they tried the DVD sale thing on me)...and they quit...so I was happy. They haven't sent me more than 1 or 2 mailings a year now. Seems to have worked.

Well worth the money.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Established in 1871, the NRA is the oldest civil rights organization in the US. My wife and I are both life members, American Rifleman and America's First Freedom every month. If we aren't vigilant we'll lose our 2nd amendment rights.

MegaTank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Goshen
    1500 for a lifetime membership seems high to me. That's 60 years. Im already 33. Might be worth the investment so you dont have to fiddle with renewing it every year. Maybe its just the 1500 price that scares me as a whole but anyway I joined for 2 years and will see how it goes.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    1500 for a lifetime membership seems high to me. That's 60 years. Im already 33. Might be worth the investment so you dont have to fiddle with renewing it every year. Maybe its just the 1500 price that scares me as a whole but anyway I joined for 2 years and will see how it goes.

Prices just increased on March 1. They had been running specials in advance of it. In the past they have also run numerous discount periods ( $500 for lifetime about 3 years ago ). You also can find numerous groups, retailers, etc. that have discounts offered.

As posted upthread, I do not always agree with some things they do, don't do, et . However I see it as increasingly important to have them fighting for us. I upgraded to a life membership a few years back and last month updated to endowment. I look at it as helping do my part to support the 2nd.A. At my age it will never "pay off." And they have never bombarded me with solicitations for money.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    First, I don't think there is any big list in the sky that Dems, or others check in order to turn you down for jobs, or create other negative influences in your life-if you're a member of NRA.

It's unfortunate that more gun owners, or 2A proponents are not members. The NRA fights non-member gun owner's rights, and it's noteworthy that most of them choose to NOT vote in elections, either.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

They do run specials periodically and those get mentioned here. If you stick around, you should see one of those life member specials before your two years is up.

If solicitations/promotions bother you, unsubscribe as mentioned up thread. They'll respect your wishes.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been in for a long time and have watched the organization evolve over time. It's still the best game going.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Congratulations on joining!

I contacted them and asked them to stop mailing me anything. I canceled the magazine and the solicitations. I figure they can save the money on postage and paper and use it for other valuable things (like funding childrens' marksmanship programs!).

Plus, you will have that warm feeling in your stomach whenever some so-called liberal is whining about the NRA thwarting the gungrabbers. You will know that you are the enemy they are crying about and that is worth something itself.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There are those on INGO that will probably be along at some point to tell you why you shouldn't join. I did years ago and recently (last year) upgraded to the lifetime membership. As stated, they do run specials, so if that's something you're interested in, keep your eyes peeled for the next opprtunity. I think one year, 2,3,4 years ago, they had $300 memberships but I haven't seen that since. I bought mine for $500.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    If you like your 2nd Amendment rights then join. Simple as that. They do annoying things, true. So what? They do things you won't agree with. So what? They are absolute pit bulls when it comes to defending the 2A and I fully believe without the NRA we would have been neutered like the UK and Australia long ago.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I got my life membership for $300. It seems it was just after Newtown. I think they offer specials when its politically expedient . Anyway it is money well spent just to hear the likes of Hillary complain about such organizations.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I got my life membership for $300. It seems it was just after Newtown. I think they offer specials when [STRIKE]its politically expedient[/STRIKE] our gun rights are under the most political pressure and they need the most support. Anyway it is money well spent just to hear the likes of Hillary complain about such organizations.

FTFY

Top Bottom