• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    Ok as a responsible fire arm owner that loves to shoot, I have a descent amount of ammo in my home as i'm sure some of you do also. My question is, should you inform your neighbor hood fire station that you have ammo in your home in the event of a fire. As a exvolunteer fire fighter I have been on a few house fire's where we wished we knew before we tried to enter the resident's that they had ammo in there before we heard it go BANG and sent us face down on the floor.Just curious as to your :twocents: INGO. This is in case i'm not home at the time..

The world is full of zombie's,some not so dead yet....

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Ok as a responsible fire arm owner that loves to shoot, I have a descent amount of ammo in my home as i'm sure some of you do also. My question is, should you inform your neighbor hood fire station that you have ammo in your home in the event of a fire. As a exvolunteer fire fighter I have been on a few house fire's where we wished we knew before we tried to enter the resident's that they had ammo in there before we heard it go BANG and sent us face down on the floor.Just curious as to your :twocents: INGO. This is in case i'm not home at the time..

The world is full of zombie's,some not so dead yet....

Not sure about protocol on this but i would think it to be at least a good gesture. May not make a difference for those of us in the cities though. doubt the info would be remembered.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Yes you should once your house is on fire and they get there. No way would I before.

Call me paranoid. To many what ifs. What if someone tells someone ad they tell there looser crack head kid. BREAk IN.

I don't mean to be harsh but there is always risk involved when you take a job like that. If you don't agree get a different job.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I wouldn't tell them before hand. If it came down to it the day of a fire then I would advise them. Otherwise I think you may be setting yourself for a burglary.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The fragments, when there are any, seldom go more than a couple feet and have a hard enough time breaking skin. Probably wouldn't even feel it through structural firefighting gear.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am a fireman and I wouldn't bother. We know the risks of firefighting, and if every home owner told us of all the stuff that was hazardous to us if their house was on fire then we would be swamped and wouldn't remember a few years from now anyways. Your personal businesss is your personal business.

Ever heard the saying telephone, tellafireman? It came from somewhere?

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    I am in the job in Indy. We don't care. We did have an incident about 14yrs ago.
    Crews were getting g ready to enter a residence that was on fire. One of the guys took a bullet
    through his shoulder.
    The home owner had a .45 acp on a closet shelf. The gun was laying down against the back wall.
    Gun had rounds in mag. One cooked off bullet went through butt of gun hit fireman on otherwise of door.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Non-chambered ammo cooking off isn't particularly dangerous.

Exactly.

Loose lips sink ships. Maybe in a small community, where you might actually be able to trust these people, but definitely not in a larger city. I would essentially be walking up to a bunch of strangers and saying "Hi, I have a lot of ammo in my house." If its not something you would be comfortable telling a random person you just met at the grocery store, then you probably shouldnt be sharing it with a random firefighter.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I live in a small community and would still not go around announcing I have a bunch of ammo in my home. There are still druggies and thief's in small rural communities. I would inform them if the house were in fact on fire but other than that, no way no how.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I would think fireman are well aware of things that can go boom such as cans of paint, bottles of soda, and anything else in a closed container. As far as my house, I'll politely point out that if the so-and-so corner of the basement becomes fully involved that I'll be down the block watching from a safe distance. ;)

Top Bottom