Should I take the plunge and get the CMMG MK-47 rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMMG yes or no

• Total voters

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I have never owned anything larger then a 5.56 rifle and until I saw the new MK-47 I had no desire to buy anything AK but..... This thing is sweet looking. I guess I am trying to talk myself into another caliber. I just reduced my collection so I only have .22,9mm,5.56,12 g and thats it. Which makes it easy to buy ammo in bulk. Buying this new rifle would mean starting from scratch with mags, ammo, etc... I have never shot an AK so I am not sure how much different it is then the 5.56 but ammo seems to be a little less. I would be running it suppressed as well.

On a side note it looks like the rifle comes in 3 regular versions with the least expensive coming in around $1,400. That would be the version I would most likely go with.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    for me personally, the draw of the Mutant is that I have a crap ton of ak mags and ammo already.

If you don't have that, then for me it wouldn't make sense to get one, and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to just buy a WASR10 or something like that.

Now if you just have to have it, go for it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The only advantage I see of the mutant over a quality AK is apparently the gas blowback when suppressed is substantially less per MAC/AK Operators video

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    AK and AR ammo is roughly the same price right now.

I recommend taking whatever money you'd spend on that mutant and buying more 5.56. $1400 of 5.56 will last you a long, long time!

Or buy a cheap AK ($500 from several sources), a few mags, and then $800 worth of AK ammo and blast that stuff off for the next few years.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I debated this when I wanted to add 7.62x39 to my collection but couldn't justify the price compared to a WASR. For the price of a Mutant I was able to add Magpul furniture, a Manticore brake, and an Aimpoint T-2 in an RS Regulate mount to a new WASR.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I sold all my 7.62x39 AKs, could never get into them and they never felt right.

I had a chance to shoot a Mutant before but completely spaced to do so.

I made my mind up though, when I get another 7.62x39 rifle, it will either be a POF Puritan or a P415 (hopefully they'll release that version eventually). I have shot the Puritan, both suppressed and unsuppressed, and ran like a champ and felt a hell of a lot better than any AK I've shot.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I think Clay nailed it. If you were sitting on a mountain of mags and ammo, and preferred the AR platform to an AK, it seems like a no brainer. Both platforms obviously have their advantages, but I personally the AK so I have zero interest in it.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Yeah I guess I'll wait till I get this SBR cleared and see if I love it, thats the case then I will just buy a crap load of ammo and be done

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Buy a nice AK and save yourself a lot of money that can be spent for ammo and optics. The mutant is not going to magically change the performance of the 7.62x39 round. Palmetto state armory also has AR47s now that look pretty cool. Bottom line save your money the extra cost of a mutant does not come with a substantial reward over owning a decent AK or AR47 and you will be saving a lot of money.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Buy a nice AK and save yourself a lot of money that can be spent for ammo and optics. The mutant is not going to magically change the performance of the 7.62x39 round. Palmetto state armory also has AR47s now that look pretty cool. Bottom line save your money the extra cost of a mutant does not come with a substantial reward over owning a decent AK or AR47 and you will be saving a lot of money.

Doesn't it use a proprietary magazine just like the countless other failed attempts of chambering an AR in 7.62X39? If so, I'd definitely give the mutant an edge over it.
    But I totally agree on just getting an AK if your wanting to shoot 7.62X39.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I have been back and forth with this for a bit and decided its like a car and I am going to need some kind of a test drive. I have never shot any 7.62 so I think a trip to the range with a buddy that has an AK may be in order.

Top Bottom