Should Indiana deer hunters be allowed to use high-powered rifles.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm sure I've already chimed in on this or some other thread, but apparently it's still being debated.

Simple for me. States like Kentucky have it. Similar in topology and hunting population. No issues. I'm pro freedom - pro choice. Taking a perfectly good tool out of someone's hand because you don't trust them is not what freedom is about. Pushing the DNR for lower bag limits because of a diminishing herd - I'm in. Pushing the DNR to restrict perfectly good tools out of fear, what might happen - I'm out.

I vote freedom.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    The title of this thread is misleading.

From what I hear, there may be some wrangling about the allowance of high-powered rifles. I, for one, would be happy to at least have the inclusion of medium-powered, center-fire rifles.

I'm not sure what criteria are being used. Would they go by velocity, energy delivered, distance to drop x number of inches, case dimensions?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The title of this thread is misleading.

From what I hear, there may be some wrangling about the allowance of high-powered rifles. I, for one, would be happy to at least have the inclusion of medium-powered, center-fire rifles.

I'm not sure what criteria are being used. Would they go by velocity, energy delivered, distance to drop x number of inches, case dimensions?

Nothing in the proposal about energy delivered.
    It's all about minimum caliber of .243 and case length minimum of 1.16".
    In short, they're intending to legalize all the calibers currently legal in handguns in rifles.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I don't think it is as simple as a yes/no question. If the top management at the DNR were truly concerned about hunters, conservation, and improving the quality of the herd, I would say that the question of what weapon is used to hunt the deer is irrelevant, as long as it is capable of a humane kill. High powered rifles could be an OK thing, but not the way Indiana is doing it. I don't think it is so much a safety issue, as it is an issue about the quality of deer hunting in Indiana in the future.

In recent years, the DNR management is more and more associated with big insurance companies, and manipulating DNR policy to impact insurance company profits. Some DNR management are insurance companies top execs. The more deer they can kill, the better for their bottom line, less car collisions to pay for. Extra deer seasons (such as the extra antlered season at the end of 2013) and reduction hunts in the state parks are a couple of methods they have employed to kill off more of the herd. Allow high power rifles on top of that, more yahoos who have never hunted before will come out of the woodwork, more deer killed.

Look at the state of Illinois and the way they regulate their deer seasons. The deer in Illinois are better. Larger herd, more quality bucks. But in Indiana, the quality of the herd seems to be declining, and that can not be solely attributed to chronic wasting disease. It has a lot more to do with intentional mismanagement. I think the way they are going about it is bad for deer and for deer hunters. Personally I would love to hunt with a high powered rifle, but I think its a much larger issue than that in Indiana. That's why, unless the DNR changes their policies to be more about the quality of the herd, I have to vote no on the high power rifle question.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Mark,

Look south. Kentucky has had rifles since the beginning and they have as good or better herd than we have.. that includes all the outlaws down there shooting them in droves..KY has a no limit on antlerless deer in most counties. The firearm season is as long as ours and time for the peak rut.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Mark,

Look south. Kentucky has had rifles since the beginning and they have as good or better herd than we have.. that includes all the outlaws down there shooting them in droves..KY has a no limit on antlerless deer in most counties. The firearm season is as long as ours and time for the peak rut.

I hope KY's herd is better than ours because lately ours doesn't seem so great. My own experience is that the past few years at least I've seen fewer deer, but I am limited to state land and I know that's a big part of my problem too. I hope you're right that the rifles won't hurt the herd. My point is that the herd should take priority over the insurance companies, but lately things seem to be the other way around.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Is there any proof or evidence that "Some DNR management are insurance companies top execs"?

Perhaps this has been mentioned before and I missed it.

TIA

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Not proof, but the policy making does seem to support it. This is what the DNR property managers I have talked to have told me - understand that will not suffice in a courtroom. :) I will try to get some more detail on this.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Is there any proof or evidence that "Some DNR management are insurance companies top execs"?

Perhaps this has been mentioned before and I missed it.

TIA

Yep...another deer myth that just wont die. Auto insurance companies could not care less about deer and vehicle collisions. They just up the premium on EVERYONE to cover that cost. They do NOT absorb that cost. Yes, the FARMER side of the Farm Bureau wants to see more deer dead as that cuts into their crop profits. Two seperate entities...

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I think yes and the those who are opposed should provide an irrefutable argument how it would be harmful to the state and its residents. Simply saying, "What if someone misses," isn't enough.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm sure I've already chimed in on this or some other thread, but apparently it's still being debated.

Simple for me. States like Kentucky have it. Similar in topology and hunting population. No issues. I'm pro freedom - pro choice. Taking a perfectly good tool out of someone's hand because you don't trust them is not what freedom is about. Pushing the DNR for lower bag limits because of a diminishing herd - I'm in. Pushing the DNR to restrict perfectly good tools out of fear, what might happen - I'm out.

I vote freedom.

um...there is no better way to say it than this right here. Well stated JJ.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    um...there is no better way to say it than this right here. Well stated JJ.

Thanks buddy. Let me only add that I will likely not hunt with a high-powered rifle in Indiana for deer. I am primarily a bow hunter, I do take one or two for the freezer during gun season with my muzzleloader, but that's about it. Be that as it may, it ain't about me. It ain't about how I hunt. It's a freedom question for me, so I'll stick up for freedom though I choose not to partake.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Thanks buddy. Let me only add that I will likely not hunt with a high-powered rifle in Indiana for deer. I am primarily a bow hunter, I do take one or two for the freezer during gun season with my muzzleloader, but that's about it. Be that as it may, it ain't about me. It ain't about how I hunt. It's a freedom question for me, so I'll stick up for freedom though I choose not to partake.

I'm doing the same as well. I'm a bow hunter and only pull out the gun if I get skunked during early archery. I'm going straight trad bow hunting this year. If for some reason I did break down during gun, I'm using my 300blk pistol. I won't be using any hp rifles.

Elkaholic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Johnson County
    I don't like the idea but understand the ones that do! I think pretty much South of Indy they would be of no use in most cases because it is generally woods! North of indy where it's flat fields might be a different story!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Again -

This is a Cartridge thing - NOT a Topographical thing.

It's also one more tiny step to getting our rights back.

I never heard so many selfish ****ing BowBangers in all my life. :facepalm:

dodgetoyz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Yep. If I can shot a coyote with a 30-30, why not a deer? I came here from kentucky and always thought this was stupid. I have seen more deer gut shot, or shot and ran here. Never happens with a big bullet.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Yep. If I can shot a coyote with a 30-30, why not a deer? I came here from kentucky and always thought this was stupid. I have seen more deer gut shot, or shot and ran here. Never happens with a big bullet.
    I'll credit last statement to the fact that you look like you are on a run to 50 to get to the classified section.

Top Bottom