• ...and so much more!
  • Should Marijuana be Legalized?

• Total voters

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Smoke some of the stuff that grows naturally directly out of the ground and see how high you get.The pot you buy has all kinds of stuff added to it. More than "just a little" makes its way up from Mexico. The really good stuff comes from Canada. Either way there are far worse things that are legal. Marijuana probably 3 years or less away from being legal.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    How free? Anyone feel free to answer each one... (don't pick and choose if you do)
    -Should one be able to hold dog fighting contests?
    -Should "adults" be able to engage in consensual sex with a "minor," given that "minor" is an arbitrary term.
    -Should people be able top walk around fully nude if they wish?
    -Should a person be able to own a tactical nuclear warhead, just because they "look cool."
    -Should parents be able to sell their children?
    -Should people be able to stand outside of a polling area, armed, saying absolutely noting?
    -Should American regardless of birthplace be eligible for the Presidency?
    -Should convicted child molesters, who have served their time, be allowed to sit across the street from a school and watch recess?

None of these affect your personal rights, nor anyone else's. No victim, no crime. The above is "freedom."

What you are really asking is do communities have the authority to establish standards of conduct within those communities. As long as comunity is defined as anything less than the federal government, the answer is yes.

A couple of your questions (voting, Presidential eligibility) are clearly federal questions. Voting is also a state question, if it does not involve a federal election.

States have the power to establish, or delegate to local communities, standards of conduct consistent with the Constitution, federal laws and treaties, and the individual state Constitution. Our federal Constitution was designed to reign in the federal government's powers, not to abolish sovereign states and create a single state of anarchy. Up until the ratification of the 14th Amendment that is.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    My personal opinion is that there are enough lazy asses in the world. The last thing we need are a bunch of stoned zombies walking down the street too high to get a job.

My biggest argument with those that say legalize drugs and all the problems associated with them will go away...do they really think that these people will stop stealing and killing to get a fix? That because it's legal these people will suddenly become productive members of society?

Not likely.

I don't have a problem with true "medical" marijuana. It has many purposes in that field. As long as it's legit...smoke 'em if you got 'em.

+1 :yesway:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I'm not sure I buy into the arguments that ask, "Do you want your Doctor, lawyer, blah, blah, etc. to be stoned?" That is just stupid. Alcohol IS legal and I don't want them drunk. Plus just because pot isn't legal doesn't mean people don't smoke it, so how do I know they're not high anyway?:rolleyes:

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm not sure I buy into the arguments that ask, "Do you want your Doctor, lawyer, blah, blah, etc. to be stoned?" That is just stupid. Alcohol IS legal and I don't want them drunk. Plus just because pot isn't legal doesn't mean people don't smoke it, so how do I know they're not high anyway?:rolleyes:

You shouldn't, it's just a cheap shot trying to get you to have an emotional reaction instead of thinking about it. It goes hand in hand with the "think of the children" argument.

kc9djn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Indiana Department of Corrections

I am a former Correctional Officer in Indiana. I witnessed many offenders, with long sentences in prison, due to marijuana related convictions. It does cost more to house one offender for a year, then a Correctional Officers' yearly salary.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes, it is their proprety
    So Michael Vick should have never went to jail...?

-Should "adults" be able to engage in consensual sex with a "minor," given that "minor" is an arbitrary term.
    if the minor is my kid it absolutely affects me
    And if it's not your child, you'd be ok with it?

Yes,some are almost naked already
    You have no problem whatsoever with people walking around naked? Ok fair enough

-Should a person be able to own a tactical nuclear warhead, just because they "look cool."
    If they know how too, they could anyway
    Is that a yes, or a no? Surely you see the reasoning for not allowing people to own weapons that can vaporize entire communities, right?

How is this question even in here?
    Children are property, why shouldn't a parent be able to sell their child if they don't want them?

-Should people be able to stand outside of a polling area, armed, saying absolutely noting?
    Black Panthers do, so why cant we
    Exactly, so you were ok with their act?

YES, so long as they were born in the USA
    Why must they be born in the USA, why does that "freedom" exclude foreign born citizens? Hell, there are American born Taliban.

-Should convicted child molesters, who have served their time, be allowed to sit across the street from a school and watch recess?
    They should have never been let out in the first place
    But let's assume they have been let out, shouldnt they free to go anywhere they want?

Fyi, I'm only playing devil's advocate.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Regarding the safety issue with driving & cannabis, I propose a solution:

How about an electronic reaction time/hand eye coordination/cognitive thinking test?
    Similar to a hand held video game, if this light flashes, press this button, if that light flashes, turn this knob. If you're too stoned/drunk/stupid to pass the field test, you're going in for driving when you're too stoned/drunk/stupid to drive.

I don't think that will work because pot heads are surprisingly good at video games.:D

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What you are really asking is do communities have the authority to establish standards of conduct within those communities. As long as comunity is defined as anything less than the federal government, the answer is yes.

A couple of your questions (voting, Presidential eligibility) are clearly federal questions. Voting is also a state question, if it does not involve a federal election.

States have the power to establish, or delegate to local communities, standards of conduct consistent with the Constitution, federal laws and treaties, and the individual state Constitution. Our federal Constitution was designed to reign in the federal government's powers, not to abolish sovereign states and create a single state of anarchy. Up until the ratification of the 14th Amendment that is.

That's exactly what I'm asking. However, it's fairly clear that some people don't accept a community setting such standards. If someone is not physically hindered by the act, then they believe it should be fair game.

Yes, I've mixed in Federal questions in with local ones. But does that make a difference? Freedom is freedom regardless of who makes the rules. I haven't looked, but I imagine that some of the people screaming "freedom" are the same ones that thought Michael Vick should have never left prison, or that the Black Panthers at the polls should have been arrested, even though, they never physically infringed upon anyone's rights. If we're going to preach "freedom" lets make it consistent.

Disclaimer: I personally thick Vick should have went to prison, and the Panthers should have went to jail too.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Legalize them all, and regulate and tax the ***** out of them. Goodbye deficit! Goodbye illegal drug trade! When the gub-ment takes it over, including production and quality control; prices will be at a lower level that punk-a$$ street dealers can afford, thus driving them out of business. Let adults choose for themselves what poisins they want to ingest (we already do with cigarettes and booze)....:twocents:

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    How free? Anyone feel free to answer each one... (don't pick and choose if you do)

None of these affect your personal rights, nor anyone else's. No victim, no crime. The above is "freedom."

dog fighting. -
    I'm iffy on this one, but my inclination is to say yes. Even though we have "animal rights laws" in issues where a civil tort is brought against a driver who may have killed a pet dog, they are adjudicated under laws pertaining to chattel.

Consensual sex with a minor-
    As the laws regarding age of consent differ from state to state, what is or isn't engaging in sex with a minor in my state may or may not be in yours as well. This, IMHO, is the hole in the sex offender registry. A 17 year old boy who engages in sex with his 16 year old girl may be prosecuted under laws regarding sexual congress with a minor, and wind up on the sex offender registry for life.

Fully nude-
    Yup. Barring private property. Just like the "no shirt, no shoes thing.

Tactical nuke-
    Are we talking a fully functioning nuclear weapon, or a model thereof? If we're assuming it's real, I would say no. But frankly, it also wouldn't be much of a threat, since it costs our government billions annually to keep our enduring stockpile active. Most is the upkeep of the missiles and the launch mediums. Another is replacement maintenance of the tritium/deuterium fissile fuel. They decay rather rapidly (with repect to most highly active radioisotopes) and would render the warhead nothing other than an extraordinarily cool, and heavy, paperweight after sufficient time.

But I'm still saying no.

Selling of children-

This is a morally repugnant thought. As repugnant to me as abortion is, though politically, I find abortion to be a non-issue. I have never really given it any thought, but my gut reaction is no. That however is an emotionally based position, and as such doesn't really mean much.

armed outside a polling area silent-

Sure. If they aren't saying anything, pro or con, how can they be intimidating. You carry when not engaged in active duty correct? Should people be wary of you walking down the street, simply because you're armed if you don't speak with them?

Presidency regardless of birthplace-

There is no debate here. The Supreme law of the land has answered it for us.

Child molesters/recess areas.

This one chaps my buns the most. I'm a father, and the thought of pedophiles makes me ill. That being said, if they are deemed safe enough to be let out of prison, they have equal right to sit at the park as does anyone else. It's their actions we punish, not their mindset.

I'm of the opinion that molesters need psychiatric help, rather than punitive imprisonment. There is simply something biochemically wrong with them. It's easier to keep them away from our children if doctors say "This guy simply isn't fit to be released" with enough medical criterion shown to prove he is still a threat, than to keep him in prison for every day of his sentence, then let him out whether or not he is still a danger. Well, that or he hasn't been killed by the inmates in a case of prison justice.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    dog fighting. -
    I'm iffy on this one, but my inclination is to say yes. Even though we have "animal rights laws" in issues where a civil tort is brought against a driver who may have killed a pet dog, they are adjudicated under laws pertaining to chattel.

Consensual sex with a minor-
    As the laws regarding age of consent differ from state to state, what is or isn't engaging in sex with a minor in my state may or may not be in yours as well. This, IMHO, is the hole in the sex offender registry. A 17 year old boy who engages in sex with his 16 year old girl may be prosecuted under laws regarding sexual congress with a minor, and wind up on the sex offender registry for life.

Fully nude-
    Yup. Barring private property. Just like the "no shirt, no shoes thing.

Tactical nuke-
    Are we talking a fully functioning nuclear weapon, or a model thereof? If we're assuming it's real, I would say no. But frankly, it also wouldn't be much of a threat, since it costs our government billions annually to keep our enduring stockpile active. Most is the upkeep of the missiles and the launch mediums. Another is replacement maintenance of the tritium/deuterium fissile fuel. They decay rather rapidly (with repect to most highly active radioisotopes) and would render the warhead nothing other than an extraordinarily cool, and heavy, paperweight after sufficient time.

But I'm still saying no.

Selling of children-

This is a morally repugnant thought. As repugnant to me as abortion is, though politically, I find abortion to be a non-issue. I have never really given it any thought, but my gut reaction is no. That however is an emotionally based position, and as such doesn't really mean much.

armed outside a polling area silent-

Sure. If they aren't saying anything, pro or con, how can they be intimidating. You carry when not engaged in active duty correct? Should people be wary of you walking down the street, simply because you're armed if you don't speak with them?

Presidency regardless of birthplace-

There is no debate here. The Supreme law of the land has answered it for us.

Child molesters/recess areas.

This one chaps my buns the most. I'm a father, and the thought of pedophiles makes me ill. That being said, if they are deemed safe enough to be let out of prison, they have equal right to sit at the park as does anyone else. It's their actions we punish, not their mindset.

I'm of the opinion that molesters need psychiatric help, rather than punitive imprisonment. There is simply something biochemically wrong with them. It's easier to keep them away from our children if doctors say "This guy simply isn't fit to be released" with enough medical criterion shown to prove he is still a threat, than to keep him in prison for every day of his sentence, then let him out whether or not he is still a danger. Well, that or he hasn't been killed by the inmates in a case of prison justice.

First, thanks for your well thought out responses. I will address one of your answers, that in regarding to the presidential residency requirement. Sure the Constitution is clear in who can/can't be president however, why should a natural born citizen be afforded a right that a natural citizen doe not have. To me, that is clearly discrimination.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    First, thanks for your well thought out responses. I will address one of your answers, that in regarding to the presidential residency requirement. Sure the Constitution is clear in who can/can't be president however, why should a natural born citizen be afforded a right that a natural citizen doe not have. To me, that is clearly discrimination.

im very happy with the requirement. i dont want foreign born people running this country. also i dont want people born here to automatically become citizens. if your parents are illegals or foreigners then you should NOT be allowed to be an American citizen without going through the same process other immigrants go through. and if your born here to illegals you all should be shipped back as soon as you show up to the hospital.

we arent gonna have people proud to be American in a few years because we are too accepting of foreigners flying their own countries flags and stealing our jobs and benefits, tax money, ect.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    im very happy with the requirement. i dont want foreign born people running this country. also i dont want people born here to automatically become citizens. if your parents are illegals or foreigners then you should NOT be allowed to be an American citizen without going through the same process other immigrants go through. and if your born here to illegals you all should be shipped back as soon as you show up to the hospital.

we arent gonna have people proud to be American in a few years because we are too accepting of foreigners flying their own countries flags and stealing our jobs and benefits, tax money, ect.

I'm not asking if you agree, I'm asking if it's a denial of rights (which it is)...
    There are foreign born Americans that have done more to honor this nation than natural born citizens. Why are they penalized for being born in another country, when many have given the lives in service to the nation?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I'm not asking if you agree, I'm asking if it's a denial of rights (which it is)...
    There are foreign born Americans that have done more to honor this nation than natural born citizens. Why are they penalized for being born in another country, when many have given the lives in service to the nation?
    they agreed to it when they came here. I still Honor them for their sacrifice.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Or maybe they came thinking that it could be changed like a variety of other things...

well as long as im alive i will fight against it. and i will also fight to make sure anchor babies eventually dont automatically become citizens.

I guess it all depends who has the most convincing argument. but i definitely think a natural born citizens opinion is worth more than one who wasnt.

im just trying to be honest about what I personally think. no one has to agree with it. but if we keep rolling over we will lose all of our unique identity.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    How much is a tactical nuke going for?

My guess is the average person can't afford one...

But, if you can afford one......then yes....why not.

Top Bottom