Should neighbors be held responsible for keeping property at community standards?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should your property be subject to community standards as far as upkeep?

• Total voters

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I would say do what ever you want with your home until it becomes a health hazzard.

Yeah, that would be a reasonable 3rd choice, one that would make sense between these two.

But for people to claim that long grass hurts your health, are really stretching.

How does anyone live in the woods if its such a health hazard to have tall plants growing?

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Rats/vermin would never fly for me, as a reason to go after the neighbors, because the woods behind me has already produced skunks, rabbits, raccoons, opossums, porcupines, armadillos, snakes, field mice, scorpions, and deer. What are a few rats compared to the Noah's Ark invasion happening on my 6 o'clock?

What about storing toxic waste that is leaking into the ground? Still OK?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Property rights philosophy has dealt with this, specifically with respect to rivers and such, but it also applies here. Basically, if (for the sake of example) I buy a place with well water and the water quality tests good, and then the neighbor does as you describe, causing the water to test bad, the neighbor owes me restoration. He has to pay for any medical bills and cleanup costs and so forth caused by his negligence.

On the other hand, if I buy a property next to a toxic waste dump, and the ground water tests bad, it's my dumb fault for expecting to live next to a toxic waste dump. In most ways, it comes down to "who was there first", but there are some situational factors that may change it. And if his toxic waste never leaves his property for a common water source or something similar, it's once again not my business.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I think the point being missed here is that the property is not "yours" to do with as you please.

It is actually owned by the taxing authority to whom you render property taxes. You live there at their discretion so long as you pay your property tax and abide by the zoning established for your parcel.

You implicitly entered into a contract to be bound by such (arguably under duress, as you had no choice) with the taxing authority when you "bought" the parcel.

If you doubt this, stop paying your property taxes or maintaining it per relevant zoning and see who exercises actual controlling authority over said parcel.

I didn't say it was right, that's just the way it is in our neo-feudalist society.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

I've never heard anyone defend that.

This poll tries to equate long grass... with toxic waste. :rolleyes:

There's a big difference between property aesthetics, and Nuclear/Biological/Chemical hazards. Unkempt lawns down the street are simply not harming you.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Cannot vote due to the wording. Do not misinterpret this as unnecessary quibbling, but certain words and phrases rub me the wrong way - not only the plain text meaning, but their implications.

My property, I should be allowed to do as I please no exceptions.
    "Allowed to"? I'm way past being fed up with that term.
    "No exceptions" implies to me that the pollster is trying to preemptively portray the person who chooses this option as stubborn and selfish. On the other hand...
    Your should keep your property in a condition acceptable by community standards.
    "Acceptable". "Community standards".

In our family, we kept property in a condition acceptable to Mom and Dad. Nothing else mattered. They were quite strict. Yard work, indoor/outdoor maintenance and all "standards" were set by them at the earliest age and remain to this day. They were enforced but not codified. It was just something you did. And so it is in our neighborhood. Everyone keeps to themselves, yet we are on decent terms.

Let everyone sweep in front of his own door, and the whole world will be clean. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    The poll does no such thing. The point of the poll is to gather the opinion of the group as to whether they feel that as property owners...they should keep their property in such a manner as to not de-value the property of other neighbors or keep their property in such a manner as to cause health hazards.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I've never heard anyone defend that.

There's a big difference between property aesthetics, and Nuclear/Biological/Chemical hazards. Unkempt lawns down the street are simply not harming you.

Agreed. Now were streeeetching it.

Toxic waste eventually gets into ground water / waterways and WILL affect other people or animals.

If that were the case IDEM would eventually find the source and you would most likely be held liable for any and ALL damages. :cool:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have a small wetlands area on my property. I wonder if I don't drain it, and pirates infest it then swarm over my neighbors property, raping, pillaging and forcing people to walk the plank at cutlass-point?

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I have a small wetlands area on my property. I wonder if I don't drain it, and pirates infest it then swarm over my neighbors property, raping, pillaging and forcing people to walk the plank at cutlass-point?

I would have the pirates arrested for trespassing.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    The poll does no such thing. The point of the poll is to gather the opinion of the group as to whether they feel that as property owners...they should keep their property in such a manner as to not de-value the property of other neighbors or keep their property in such a manner as to cause health hazards.

Well like I mentioned in the other thread I am very familiar with the problems associated with having to live next to an overgrown vacant lot for the last 11 years but I not sure I'd equate "natural" overgrowth with "health hazard".

Granted a simple breeze means that a metric ton of weed seed & pollen gets blown into my yard annually & granted there is an increased insect & rodent presence in the immediate area but I don't think that rises to the level of being a health hazard.

I do however have to run an electric bug zapper to keep the skeeter population in check & I do have to set out poison pellets for the field mice but I honestly don't think that me or my family is in danger of any increased risk to our health because of it.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I do however have to run an electric bug zapper to keep the skeeter population in check & I do have to set out poison pellets for the field mice but I honestly don't think that me or my family is in danger of any increased risk to our health because of it.

And these things are caused by one empty lot?

And by implication, caused by the owner, and his criminal negligence?

Mice like to live amongst people, in the warmth of their homes, and eating the scraps in their trashcans. So anyone who has had mice inside their home should be jailed, no exceptions.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If my neighbor let's his property go so that it is an obvious real problem that isn't temporary, it has hurt the value of my property. Anyone that denies that either knows nothing about real estate or they are ... well you know. So I have been harmed. I live in the city limits of my town. You must keep your lawn mowed and your house can not have peeling paint. I think it is reasonable. They aren't picky about it, they give plenty of time to make corrections. But the City has an interest in keeping houses neat and clean as well.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think if everyone kept their property as nice as can be, then everyone SHOULD be able to do whatever they wish. But nobody will do that. You always have a neighbor who is too lazy to keep trash out of their yard.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    If my neighbor let's his property go so that it is an obvious real problem that isn't temporary, it has hurt the value of my property. Anyone that denies that either knows nothing about real estate or they are ... well you know. So I have been harmed. I live in the city limits of my town. You must keep your lawn mowed and your house can not have peeling paint. I think it is reasonable. They aren't picky about it, they give plenty of time to make corrections. But the City has an interest in keeping houses neat and clean as well.

Maybe you are looking at the glass half empty.

What if by keeping your home and property well maintained and upkept it increases YOUR property value.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Maybe you are looking at the glass half empty.

What if by keeping your home and property well maintained and upkept it increases YOUR property value.

I do and so and am confident that it does help to increase my property value. That would not keep a junk pile next door from hurting the value of mine.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    And these things are caused by one empty lot?

One empty lot that's been completely overgrown for the majority of the last 11 years.

And by implication, caused by the owner, and his criminal negligence?

The city owns the lot, they are apparently immune from their own ordinances & regulations.

Mice like to live amongst people, in the warmth of their homes, and eating the scraps in their trashcans. actually field mice get a long just fine without people. So anyone who has had mice inside their home should be jailed, no exceptions.

Agreed, but only if they are pet mice, anyone sick and twisted enough to keep a mouse alive long enough to keep it as a pet should be put in prison.

Top Bottom