• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • should vets get automatic carry priveleges?

• Total voters

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    I think that veterans should be allowed to carry in all 50 states without restriction. After all they have far more training than most anybody. Plus its a nice little benefit for serving your country.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Why just vets? OP are you a vet? The comment about Vets having more training is not true. Having ran more than a few qualification ranges, I can tell that just because you are in the military doesn't make you a firearm expert.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    Yes we all agree it is a right, but not one honored by all 50 states. Privileges in this case is more like a written permission. And yea it should be unrestricted, but we are working on that. This would pertain to veterans and could be used as a "foot in the door" in some of the more restrictive states.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    Actually, no I am not a vet. And I would say they do have more training than say 70% of gun owners. Those of us on here are only a small percentage and not very many of us attend training.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    After having served this country, putting dedication to the good ol' US of A ahead of themselves for a number of years... it's only reasonable that vets be granted a federal right to carry. After all, how many rational people (read: "those NOT scared to death of 'evil' guns and their owners") would not like having an armed vet around if a SHTF moment arose??

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Its a right, not a privilege. EVERYONE should be allowed to carry in all 50 states without restriction.
    I can support that idea.

Why just vets? OP are you a vet? The comment about Vets having more training is not true. Having ran more than a few qualification ranges, I can tell that just because you are in the military doesn't make you a firearm expert.
    OP said more training than most, not that all veterans were experts. (although this one is. :D)

Yes we all agree it is a right, but not one honored by all 50 states. Privileges in this case is more like a written permission. And yea it should be unrestricted, but we are working on that. This would pertain to veterans and could be used as a "foot in the door" in some of the more restrictive states.
    I would support a veteran who is a "proper person" being allowed to carry in all states as a foot in the door.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Actually, no I am not a vet. And I would say they do have more training than say 70% of gun owners. Those of us on here are only a small percentage and not very many of us attend training.

Yes and no. It really depends on the mos and the branch. Some units only qualify once a year and that's the only time they handle their weapon. Every mos is important to the overall function of the military but not all have good,solid weapon training.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I said no for one simple reason. WE ALL SHOULD!!!! And to all vets and troops thanks for fighting for that right and all the others.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Its a right, not a privilege. EVERYONE should be allowed to carry in all 50 states without restriction.

:rockwoot: I agree wholeheartedly. Or atleast set a standard if you get a license in your state that it is accepted in all 50 instead of the mess it is now.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, I'm mixed on this. I'm a vet and have my third award bar for my expert badge - and other shooting merits, but also know that some of those guys barely passed with a toilet seat. I feel it comes down to competency with your firearm and your training/instincts. JMHO. Strange thing I found though, most of the female shooters that I trained, were better than most of the men that were under my wing.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    random thoughts

The poll question reminds me of the conversations and resultant debates, both private and public, over nationwide reciprocity for police officers. Although both sides raised good points, when it came to an actual vote in Congress I leaned toward and urged reps to vote for it. Not only as a show of faith, support, and respect for sworn officers, but also because it seemed at the time that was all we could get on that front. Not wishing to reopen a can of worms or cause unnecessary hard feelings between groups with mutual interests, only to pass along some views you've already heard, or are likely to hear.
    Regarding the foot in the door strategy in some of the more restrictive states: It is tempting to jump on it and say yes, since it would provide immediate short term benefit for me, as well as those residing in those states, should it ever come to pass. Since it's only a site poll, I voted no on philosophical and constitutional grounds, largely because of the same misgivings I had about the bill that eventually passed for LEOs. It fosters and furthers a type of elitism endemic in authoritarian regimes that is alien to the principles of this constitutional republic. Namely, an attitude and notion that,
    "Only the police and military should ..."
    "OMG! Gun! Oh, it's OK ... He's a cop." <phew>
    "Oh, it's OK. He's a soldier."

Although it exists to a certain degree nearly everywhere, this attitude seems to be much more prevalent in these more restrictive states. Such an additional bill, if it were to become law, is likely to further legitimize this concept in the minds of the people.

Let us instead continue to encourage education and professional instruction through personal, individual initiative (not state-mandated) in all aspects of the use of arms by the populace at large, to strive for and arrive at something more resembling ...
    (to paraphrase)
    Who are the militia? They consist now - and always have - of the whole people, whether or not they neglected the means of their own defense. Since a well-trained, well-drilled body of armed people, comprising the whole of the citizenry, are necessary and essential for the maintenance and perpetuation of a free state designed as a constitutional republic, the Right of the people to buy, sell, own, keep and carry/bear arms on or about their person(s) or property shall not be infringed. (tampered with/messed with/curtailed or restricted in any manner)

As far as where one might be "allowed to" travel with them, we can start here:

Constitution for the United States of America

Article IV

Section. 2. The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Top Bottom