Should We Pay for Inmate's Cancer Treatments?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should we pay for Inmate's cancer treatment?

• Total voters

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So, let's say that a murderer, rapist, or child molester develops cancer while in prison. Should we, as tax payers, pay for that inmate to be transported to a hospital, under constant guard, and given chemo, bone marrow transplant, radiation therapy, etc?

I kind of see both sides to this, and was wondering what others think..

Thanks!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    My first gig as a medic intailed caring for folks from out in Plainfield(?) in the state pen. If they got certian kinds of cancer the got moved to Wishard under lock up and I drove them over to IU for radiation treatment... guess who picked up the tab?

Inmates have more medical rights than you and I do!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I don't know what our alternative would be. They obviously can't pay for it. It would't be right to force their family to pay for it. We can't just let them die a slow and painful death without violating the 8th Amendment.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not sure how prisons work now, but I believe that inmates should be mandated to work to pay for their care, including health care. If a charity wants to give health care to inmates that aren't covered, than great. It should be no better than a someone's access to health care in the 'outside' world.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Absolutely Not.

Personally, I don't think they even deserve anything more than a cot, basic food, and basic personal care items. Everything else, they should have to work for and earn. Inmates should be required to pay for their own keep while incarcerated.

If the family or some other good samaritan wants to pay for it, go ahead.

If I can't afford it on the outside, I cant get it. Why should they?

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Yes. Upon conviction and sentence wherein an inmate is incarcerated he/she becomes a ward of the state. The term "in custody" isn't a euphemism. The state has accepted responsibility for that person, in terms of their incarceration, rehabilitation, and personal health.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Yes. Upon conviction and sentence wherein an inmate is incarcerated he/she becomes a ward of the state. The term "in custody" isn't a euphemism. The state has accepted responsibility for that person, in terms of their incarceration, rehabilitation, and personal health.

I agree with this.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I don't know what our alternative would be. They obviously can't pay for it. It would't be right to force their family to pay for it. We can't just let them die a slow and painful death without violating the 8th Amendment.

So, that begs the question..

Is letting them die "punishment" under the 8th?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World

I tend to agree with this in taking exception that inmates should have to pay to go to prison. All prisons should have factories or farms of some form associated with them. In exchange for labor they are allowed to to stay in prison.

Yes, all training to preform a task would be given to the inmate and they would learn a skill to use upon release. They would be expected not forced to show up on time and be given extra pay for overtime or extra work completed.

Or they can pay for their term in cash and not have to work.

If they can't pay then let them ride old sparky or whatever method the state chooses.

So put my vote where you want it.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    So, that begs the question..

Is letting them die "punishment" under the 8th?

I would say that the dying part is the natural course of things sometimes, even with treatment they may still die. Although we could just not provide food or water and let them die that way if we're discussing our burden for taking care of inmates. Food, water, shelter, and medical treatment should be the basic things we provide, and not much else. I think letting them die of something painful and debilitating like cancer would be the cruel and unusual part though. NYFelon made a good point. If we've incarcerated them, as a society we should be required to take care of their basic needs.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So, let's say that a murderer, rapist, or child molester develops cancer while in prison. Should we, as tax payers, pay for that inmate to be transported to a hospital, under constant guard, and given chemo, bone marrow transplant, radiation therapy, etc?

Thanks!
    Murderer, rapist, or child molester. absolutely not. Some in jail for three counts of pot, sure, just make them work for it

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

This is what I thought too.

Although, would it be unreasonable to require them to repay the costs once they are released?

PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    If a person is sentenced to life in prison, I do not believe we (taxpayers) should have to pay to extend that life. Palliative care and pain management should be available.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This is what I thought too.

Although, would it be unreasonable to require them to repay the costs once they are released?

That's actually the one I voted for. If they are ever released, they need to start repaying some of that cost. If only Medicaid worked the same way.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN

Thanks!
    Murderers, rapists, and child molesters should have a fair and speedy trial followed by a first class execution! Since however, that is not the way we do things, and since we are going to lock them up, we need to offer the prisoners medical treatment.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I lean toward;
    If they contracted cancer prior to being incarcerated it's their problem.
    If they contract cancer after incarceration the State pays for treatment. :dunno:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    That's a very tough question for some people to answer. How does one be the "judge & jury" as to who gets treatment and who doesn't? How does anyone know what any given offender will experience inside that could change them into a productive member of society? I am part of a ministry that works at Plainfield Correctional Facility face to face with the offenders. I know quite a few of them personally.

One fella used to be the leader of the Aryan Brotherhood. At one point, he was shanked by an affiliate from the Disciples and had to have a colostomy bag installed, then surgery to fix his colon. While going through our program, he turned his life around for the Lord, denounced his affiliation, and is actually friends with the FORMER leader of the Disciples. (You see, on that weekend we were there, we sat them at the same table for the entire weekend and let God deal with them.) But this former Aryan is out now and he is a productive member of society, married with child. He has become an example of a life turned around. Did he deserve to have all that money spent on him???

I know of another offender who still has a couple decades to serve for murder. He almost died this past year from heart issues. While he still struggles from time to time, he has worked in earnest to turn his life around and is making a positive difference in the lives of those he comes in contact with. I for one, am thankful his life was spared because of his witness inside. He's making a huge difference by living an example. Want to know why he's in for murder??? His daughter was brutally beaten & raped and in a rage, this guy walked up to the rapist and blew his heart through his back.

So I ask again, who is the judge and jury where these people's heath is concerned? Who can know what lies ahead? Yes, some of these fellas may never get a clue, but who knows who they are aside from the Big Guy Upstairs?

There is no such thing as a throw away person.

Top Bottom