Should your kids have access to their weapons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    So this thread here; https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n_was_on_duty_while_you_slept_last_night.html

got me thinking about something. In this thread, Mosinowner, who I understand is 13y/o or so, sleeps with his AR15 ready to rock. I'm curious what others think about this. I'm not saying he shouldn't have it or his parents are wrong, etc. I'm asking because my thinking is that a brain that young is not fully functioning yet and likely not fully capable of making the decisions that will need to be made in the split second when the "bump in the night" happens. Hell,for that matter, I hope MY brain will be able to do it if the time comes.

I'd be very afraid that if my oldest son, who is 15, were allowed access to his guns at night that he may accidentally shoot his little brother, mother, me, whoever.

I'm not sure exactly on Indiana law's view on this, but I'd have to think that I as the parent, would be the one who would pay the price via a trip to the big house. Not to leave out the fact that my son (and me for allowing it) would have to live with that decision the rest of his life.

Not trying to stir up any arguments here, just interested in what others think about the topic. Both my sons have guns that are "theirs", but should they have access to them when sleeping at night? I'm not sure they should, and until they are on their own (or at least 18), they won't.

Thoughts? Go!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't have any kids, yet. But, I was a kid once. :D

I was young when I started keeping a Ruger Mini 14 in my bedroom. I was 15 when I had a Colt King Cobra .357 Magnum in there as well.

I think age has a little to do with it. But I'm thinking a parent knows when their child is mature and smart enough to handle the responsibility.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My kids have access to mine so why not theirs? In my daughters' bedroom there is three loaded AR-15s and a loaded M&P 9. You probably should avoid breaking into their room.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think it has to do with how they are raised.
    Teenagers used to carry guns.
    Why the change?
    Well, now we treat kids like morons. Therefore, they become morons.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think it has to do with how they are raised.
    Teenagers used to carry guns.
    Why the change?
    Well, now we treat kids like morons. Therefore, they become morons.

I disagree.

The kids that are morons, are morons because their parents are morons.

At least the ones I know...

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I think it boils down to how responsible and mature your child is. I wouldn't hesitate to leave a gun accessible to my nieces or nephews. With some of there friends, no way.

There are youngsters who are more mature than a lot of adults.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    From what i have seen of Mosinowner he isn't your typical 13 year old. It really does have more to do with how you are raised. I have always laughed at people who say they are raising kids, because thats what is happening. I believe you should be raising adults. I say this as someone who doesn't have children though, so just a personal observation.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Growing up in the 60's-70's I always knew where the shotguns/ammo were kept. I was raised knowing gun safety, what guns were for, and what they could do. I was also very much aware of what would happen to me if they were misused.

Education & Maturity are key here.

As far as Mosinowner is concerned, for his age, he seems to be a very intelligent and responsible young man.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If you are interested, here is what the State has to say on the subject:
    Indiana Code 35-47-10

Cliff Notes:
    - A parent/guardian may allow their child to possess a firearm on their property, UNLESS there is a risk that that child will commit a felony. (yeah, there is a bit more to it than that).

My cousin's 12-year old son has his own gun safe in his room for his shotguns and rifles. I have no issue at all, as he is an exceptionally responsible kid.

My neighbor's 17-year-old daughter can't be trusted with a pointy stick.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    No, my son isn't responsible for security in the home. That's my job. If he wants to go shooting, I'll get his guns from the safe and take him, then they'll return to the safe.

Oh, plus he's 7 months old.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    My 16 year old has access to my safe but does not keep anything more effective than his TKD black belt and a fighting knife in his room.

I agree with Dirc - I am responsible for protecting my family. If I'm away from home during an event my son is heir protector and would grab the 870 under my bed.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    In addition to IC 35-47-10-5, Dangerous possession of a firearm, and,
    IC-47-10-6, Dangerous control of a firearm, and
    IC-47-10-7, Permitting child to possess a firearm,

There is:
    IC 35-46-1-4
    Neglect of a dependent; child selling
    Sec. 4. (a) A person having the care of a dependent, whether
    assumed voluntarily or because of a legal obligation, who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) places the dependent in a situation that endangers the dependent's life or health;
    (2) abandons or cruelly confines the dependent;
    (3) deprives the dependent of necessary support; or
    (4) deprives the dependent of education as required by law;
    commits neglect of a dependent, a Class D felony.
    (b) However, the offense is:
    (1) a Class C felony if it is committed under subsection (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) and:
    (A) results in bodily injury; or
    (B) is:
    (i) committed in a location where a person is violating IC 35-48-4-1 (delivery, financing, or manufacture of cocaine, methamphetamine, or a narcotic drug); or
    (ii) the result of a violation of IC 35-48-4-1 (delivery, financing, or manufacture of cocaine, methamphetamine, or a narcotic drug);
    (2) a Class B felony if it is committed under subsection (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) and results in serious bodily injury;
    (3) a Class A felony if it is committed under subsection (a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) by a person at least eighteen (18) years of age and results in the death of a dependent who is less than fourteen (14) years of age...

Also:
    IC-35-42-2-2, Criminal recklessness

Proceed with caution and at your peril.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    My father was a LEO before me and from about the age of seven I always had access to at least one loaded handgun, since either his service weapon or off-duty was always there.

The rules were simple: in his absence it was not to be touched UNLESS my life or that of another innocent party was in danger. My instructions then were to kill whoever was causing the problem.

When Cincinnati had race riots in the late 60's Dad drove me to my widowed grandmother's home along with my first firearm, an H&R Topper single barrel shotgun and a box of shells. When we arrived I was further equipped with my late grandfather's S&W Model 10.

"You know what to do," he said, as he drove away.

I was thirteen at the time.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    No, my son isn't responsible for security in the home. That's my job. ...
    This, for sure. I don't think it's about physical access so much as it is about the expectation that they are supposed to act.

The brains of the young are physically less able to make good judgements than adults. That is physiological fact; the part of the brain that weighs cause, effect, and consequence is one of the last things to develop. That development happens somewhere around 25. (Not coincidentally right about the time that car insurance rates go down drastically.) That is not to say that you won't meet individual young adults who make good judgement calls, but even they are not yet at their full, adult potential. On average, though, kids should not be having to judge a good shot on a person - especially not at night in the dark when they're scared. It's not fair to them.

If the SHTF for real, they can always come and get one of mine after I'm dead, but it's MY job to die first before they should have to.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    No, my son isn't responsible for security in the home. That's my job. If he wants to go shooting, I'll get his guns from the safe and take him, then they'll return to the safe.

so when he's 13 and you're out for the evening and he's playing Playstation 13, and two home invaders start breaking in the back window... what are his options gonna be?

My 12yo has his 20ga shotgun in his closet... because it's his. ;)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My father was a LEO before me and from about the age of seven I always had access to at least one loaded handgun, since either his service weapon or off-duty was always there.

The rules were simple: in his absence it was not to be touched UNLESS my life or that of another innocent party was in danger. My instructions then were to kill whoever was causing the problem.

When Cincinnati had race riots in the late 60's Dad drove me to my widowed grandmother's home along with my first firearm, an H&R Topper single barrel shotgun and a box of shells. When we arrived I was further equipped with my late grandfather's S&W Model 10.

"You know what to do," he said, as he drove away.

I was thirteen at the time.

and that's how we teach boys to be men, by treating them as such.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    Well mine,his,hers,or theirs are locked up in the safe. My 3 oldest children know how to get in and use what they need to. Other than that I don't need guns laying around in closets, to get jacked in a break in. If I'm not here and it is dark, they are free to have one out for just in case.
    Oh ya! My safe and guns where a boating accident. lol

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    When my kid becomes a man, he gets a gun. Not while he is a child.

My WIFE is in charge of protecting the kids...when I am not home.

And you better believe she is armed.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    When my kid becomes a man, he gets a gun. Not while he is a child.

that's awesome, your house your rules. :rockwoot:

Children driving cars their parents gave them have killed more than my 12 year old's shotgun.

Besides, his room provides great crossfire at the top of the stairs and my 16yo can hit em in the back coming up from the basement :D

Top Bottom