• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    I've been looking for new holster ideas. Does anybody edc with a shoulder holster? Seems like it would be a nice break for my waist band.

I know almost nothing about shoulder holsters. Any tips on wearing them, different styles, or different manufacturers, please fill me in.

Thanks

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good EDC if you wear a jacket, I also use them when out in the woods as it keeps a larger gun from snagging on briars or branches.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    A Galco shoulder holster is my method for carrying around the house. It's not dependent on what your wearing. :D

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have heard that you should stick to galco and skip nylon ones. I have one for my XD and have noticed that it prints under a suit jacket pretty badly. If I wear it under something like a carhartt, then it isn't too bad.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Regularly. Though, admittedly, most often in the cooler / winter months, as the heavier jackets and coats tend to conceal the rig a bit better. I prefer them in winter as I often wear sweaters or fleece untucked, and the sweater / shirt then doesn't cover the firearm in addition to the coat / jacket.

Tried one nylon rig, however my recommendation would be either to get one of the ready-made leather ones from Galco or the like, or (as I've done with most of the EDC's) have it custom made. Vertical or horizontal is more a matter of preference, though I personally stick to vertical for any handgun with a longer barrel, and reserve horizontal for handguns with barrels shorter than 4".

Just my own thing, but I have more than one style holster for each handgun. This provides options and allows greater freedom when choosing what clothing to wear on a given day. For instance, perhaps a strong-side OWB, shoulder rig, and SOB holster for a specific handgun. I have at least 3 holster options for each EDC.

Some folks will (even strongly) advise against this concept, insisting the gun must be kept in the same spot all the time. Maybe... for them. I've never found an issue in varying it's location on the body. Never been a problem in daily carry, even bringing it into use, in (approximately) 4 decades. Then again, I've never had an issue 'forgetting' where it rides, LOL...

YMMV, of course.

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I use one for road trips or when I'm gonna be in the car for a long time. I use a Galco classic lite. It works well, not sure what the differences are between it and their more expensive models.

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    I have also been interested in a shoulder holster option for work, our dress is suit and tie and I am not sure if it would print or if I would need to go up a jacket size. Any thoughts appreciated

seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    Looks like galco is a popular brand. Ill start looking into it.
    I did watch a YouTube video and was made uncomfortable after seeing the position of the horizontal setup.
    When wearing the shoulder holster with the horizontal position, the gun points directly behind you. If somebody were to be walking behind you , let's say in a mall, they would have the barrel of your gun pointed right at their chest...
    I know, not a big deal if the trigger isn't pulled, right? But I wouldn't want a loaded gun pointed at me, under any circumstances...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Galco Jackass rig is second to NONE in comfort, although judging from your avatar, you may not be able to get it for the XD. If not, I am sure you can score a Miami Classic for it, not much difference in the design of the two, the Jackass looks better though!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I use an old S&W leather shoulder rig all fall and winter. IMO it is advisable to carry a BUG that is quickly deployable. Drawing from a shoulder rig is not the fastest.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I did watch a YouTube video and was made uncomfortable after seeing the position of the horizontal setup... If somebody were to be walking behind you... they would have the barrel of your gun pointed right at their chest...

That's exactly my question. For you guys who love these holsters, do you carry your guns vertical or horizontal?

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Mine is carried horizontally. I don't see the issue with it but I appendix carry too and that blows a lot of people's minds as well.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I use an old S&W leather shoulder rig all fall and winter. IMO it is advisable to carry a BUG that is quickly deployable. Drawing from a shoulder rig is not the fastest.

No, but it sure looks cool when the bad guy shows up, sets off an explosion in a public place and sends everyone running for the exits. Then you calmly stand strong amid the chaos, draw your hand cannon from the holster and prepare to engage the threat.

Bonus points if you're wearing a Hawaiian shirt or any type of fedora.

Deathwish_3_2.jpeg

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I tried a vertical and even after thousands of practice draws I was not as fast as a belt holster. It was also harder to consistently clear the cover garment AND I almost took my left nipple off with the hammer. I see no use for them unless your mode of dress prohibits a belt, like a Nomex flight suit.

Top Bottom