• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wilson380AR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    O, school me on shoulder holsters. I have a detail that requires suit and tie dress code. I have numerous IWB holsters and OWB holsters but with suit pants I cannot use the IWB holsters. The OWB holsters could potentially hang the coat tail up on the gun and blow my cover. So, I am looking into the shoulder holsters. Any suggestions? Brands? Does it have to use the tie downs?

Gun: Sig p238
    Type of material: leather
    Color:black

I would prefer the vertical style.

Thanks!!

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    If you're dead set on a shoulder holster the Galco Miami classic is a good start. If you don't want to spend that much then check out High noon holsters, they have one called "under armor" that I have used and won't require the time for the them to custom make one for your gun.

The other option would be to have a tailor let out your pants some for an IWB or adjust your suit jackets so they won't bulge over the holster. Any decent tailor should have no problem doing that (from what I have been told).

ETA: If you go the shoulder holster route I suggest getting the tie downs for both the holster and mag holders so they are attached to your belt. This keeps the gun and mags in place when moving and easier to draw from.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    Ive got a couple galco miami classics for my 226 and and my 1911's I love them. they probably have one for the 238. I usally carry my 238 clipped on my boot. in the hard plastic holster that came with it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Have used/tried several shoulder holster models over the years. Didn't think they concealed all that well. Actually, with the cut of some jackets they concealed terribly. Comfortable while driving though.

Always went back to IWB. I wear an IWB with suit pants all the time.

There are these people called "tailors" and "seamstresses" that can be really helpful retrofitting clothing ;), or you just buy your pants to fit your gun in the first place.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have recently started re-wearing a shoulder holster, a Galco Jackass (there original design) that I got for a steal on e-bay. Like a few of the above posts have said, they don't conceal any better than belt carry.
    For 'professional' wear, I would suggest (in either belt or shoulder holster wear) having a tailor make you a jacket made specially for concealing a gun.
    I have found I use my newly acquired Galco more around the house. Get up on a Saturday morning and put on the shoulder holster. No belt needed, so you can keep on your sweats.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    O, school me on shoulder holsters. I have a detail that requires suit and tie dress code. I have numerous IWB holsters and OWB holsters but with suit pants I cannot use the IWB holsters. The OWB holsters could potentially hang the coat tail up on the gun and blow my cover. So, I am looking into the shoulder holsters. Any suggestions? Brands? Does it have to use the tie downs?

Is this a EP detail? If so, I think you'd probably agree that grappling/controlling someone is far more common than shooting someone in that context and shoulder holsters present a lot of retention issues in close quarters. The holster by its nature is prone to shifting, so the gun isn't always in the same place when drawing from various positions. Furthermore, there is a tendency to muzzle sweep yourself and others when drawing from them.

What about your suit pants is preventing you from carrying IWB? Could this be fixed with tailoring? If so that is your best option.

Top Bottom