• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Just got this in the mail today from Dogman...

0511092149a.jpg

0511092147a.jpg

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    My Weapons

Taurus MilPro PT 140, Taurus M689 .357, Nagant 7.62
    1ewhaw.jpg

Mosin Nagant 91/30
    Ruger/Tapco 10/22
    1zn8upc.jpg

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    My new (to me) Ishapore .308:

ishapore.jpg

Proof that there was ugly and functional before there were EBR's! One more in my WWII rifles in .308 collection. Can't wait to get it to the range.

Ronn38

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    My fledgling milsurp collection

I'll just show off my fun stuff, 'cause my barretta's and ruger's--everyones got one of them...

My goal is to collect a single characteristic example from each the major cartridge rifles produced by the US armory at Springfield. The collection will include a Trapdoor, Krag, 1903, M1 Grand and M14. I hope to secure weapons with serials numbers relevant to the military conflicts they would have been utilized in; i.e. a 1903 dated ca. WWI, etc.

Here are some pictures of what I have so far: a model 1896 Krag and 1903.

DSCF3185.jpg

DSCF3196.jpg

The Krag is serial numbered to 1897 (580XX) and is in excellent condition. I suspect it was re-arsenaled at some point as when I received it a few months ago, there was still significant cosmoline in the barrel and action. The Bore itself is very clean and sharp. It has the correct 1896 sight (though if this was re-arsenaled, I suspect the sight is a later "restoration" by a collector.) The stock has a significant chip in front of the bolt handle and had four cracks (tang, either side of the action cut-out and butt)—all but the chip have been repaired with epoxy and dowels. Overall, I suspect the stock is a field replacement as it has a very sharp sans-style proof mark behind the trigger guard (“P” within a circle), but no other visible cartouches. I know, if you’re not into Krags, this is all fairly meaningless…but humor me:popcorn:
    The blue is about 85-90% (save the buttplate--which is pretty rough). It has an oiler, but no cleaning rods (and I suspect the oiler is a modern replacement—it’s just too nice.)

DSCF3195.jpg

DSCF3218.jpg

The 1903 is serial numbered to 1917 (6653XX) and has an SA barrel dated 6/17 with a "18" on the safety lug of the bolt (which indicates 1916 steel) with the corresponding "straight-down" bolt. The striker knurling is also consistent with a 1917 manufacture—so it appears the entire mechanical action is dated to 1916-17. The "greening" parkerizing indicates it was re-arsenaled--probably after the Great War as Springfield didn’t begin Parkerizing guns until late 1918. Interestingly enough, if it was rearsenaled, they didn’t add a Hatcher hole. The stock is a sound S type with finger groves, but appears to have been sanded at some point, with a very faint proof and a “AAJ” inspection cartouche. It has a high hump hand guard which seems to match the stock, with the 1/2 circle cut-out for the windage knob. She sports a smooth butplate--with the nickel oiler still in place--and an Ordnance Crest on forend tip; maybe a circle with an "S" ? (people ought not to sand these things #-o )

DSCF3208.jpg

DSCF3209.jpg

DSCF3206.jpg

The Krag I think I paid fair market for--$900. But the 1903 was in the back of someones closet—I suspect he thought he was unloading a low number receiver on me…$450.
    Next I'm after a trapdoor is the same condition as these darlings, then on to the grand, and then the M14 (which I suspect may be a looong way off--but wants life without a dream:-)

Ronn

Last edited:

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    Neat shotgun

Haven't seen to many post concerning the Spas 12. I think it's a neat shotgun. Pump or semi-auto, and built like a tank. Only draw back is it's weight.
    DSC_00051024x685.jpg

Top Bottom