Show me your Broken Choppers (Busse, ESEE, Grayman, Becker etc)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I would like to see any and all damage to any and all big knives you guys might have. I am getting ready to buy an ESEE Junglas, because I can't afford a Busse right now (by that I mean, I can not afford that particular addiction :laugh:) I have watched this knife in action, and trust it. I saw that broken tip TWalker posted, and was wondering what kind of damage you guys have seen/ inflicted on your knives. I am fully aware of www.knifetests.com Home (great testing protocol IMO). I'm looking for your own PERSONAL experience and pictures if you have them. If you wanna post up your little knives, folders, whatever, thats cool too, but I am really wanting to focus on bigger knives here (6"+)

Thanks in advance.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I have yet to damage any of my choppers and the guys at the last chop in can verify I abused the **** out of them, hammering the tip into trees and prying it out and shooting it. it didn't even affect the edge at all. this was a scrapyard dogfather which at retail is actually $20-$30 cheaper than the junglas, but good luck finding one at retail.(I "MIGHT" have a connection or two;))

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    Personally, I think knifetests are far from realistic testing. If I need to baton my knife into a concrete block with a sledge hammer, I pretty much will throw out the fail card and give up.

That being said, I have yet to see in realistic testing a Bussekin or Grayman knife fail. I did about 3 years ago break off about 2" of blade tip off an Ontario RTAK 2, I blame that on the user, not the knife;)

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Personally, I think knifetests are far from realistic testing. If I need to baton my knife into a concrete block with a sledge hammer, I pretty much will throw out the fail card and give up.

That being said, I have yet to see in realistic testing a Bussekin or Grayman knife fail. I did about 3 years ago break off about 2" of blade tip off an Ontario RTAK 2, I blame that on the user, not the knife;)

:rolleyes:
    His test is designed to put a knife through a lifetime's worth (or the knife's lifetime) of abuse in very short order. You may not hammer it into concrete, for example, but how many times might you or the person that inherits the knife drop it on a rock, sidewalk, concrete floor, or similar? I mean, seriously.

Also, some people, myself included, want a knife they can whip out in any situation, and trust it to get them out of said situation. You say metal and concrete are not realistic, but what if you were trapped in an industrial building made of concrete an metal after a bombing or earthquake, or trapped in an elevator during a long term power outage? What if you or someone else trapped in a car, and they needed rescue, and time was of the essence. You were unscathed, but unless you could find a way out of your hole, you were going to die of thirst or starvation. Then you wouldn't scoff at a knife that can whack through concrete, would you?

:crying::baby::gheyhi:"But I wouldn't carry such a big knife on a daily basis, it would be too heavy":gheyhi::baby::crying:
    If this is you, you need a bigger briefcase, or a manlier job.

You gotta be prepared for everything, from the mundane to the catastrophic.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I am not sure where hammering a knife into concrete with a hand sledge has anything to do with lifetime capabilties of dropping a knife on a concrete. Seriously. A knife is a tool for tool box, like a hammer, a pry bar, or a screw driver. Use the right tool for the job. I have carried and used knives hard while I was in the service and for my job that does not require a briefcase. I know the limits of knives and if I need it to something it is not intended for, I pick another tool.

If you need to be prepared for anything, than just don't have a knife other tools are necessary. Add tools that can be used and used effectively.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    no problem. i thought it was a good little story and test (though silly because who would chain you to a tree and leave you your bad ass busse knife ) but it was cool to see what it could do and jerry's personal comments on it

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Since :postpics:

Here's a pic of my FFBM

As you can see, it's not broken, just broken in. I've beat it pretty bad, and no damage (besides a slight "dent" in the edge where I grazed a screw, but it's been worked out).

Did the same thing with my NMSFNO on a nail, that dent has almost workerd itself out too.

As for knifetests, yes, he performs tests that aren't really scientific, but, it does prove which knives can take a beating and which ones can't.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom