• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh please. I keep several "locked and loaded". They're no damn good sitting there unloaded without even ammunition in the same room. We teach our children about how water and electricity don't mix from the time they can comprehend, because there's water, and there's electricity. We should teach them about firearms as well, because even if we don't have them ourselves, they're around. Too many "unauthorized users" are just too ignorant. It's not the authorization that causes trouble, it's the ignorance.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Glad you have 100 percent control, 100 percent of the time, over every single person that enters your house.

I keep one loaded gun in the house, and it stays on my hip. Doggs do the rest.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I was referring to the wooden gun rack shown below the poster.
    Loaded firearms stored in an open rack IS improperly stored, in MY opinion.

YMMV

I would agree with you, but we cant judge from that picture alone.
    We dont know if the OP lives with kids or if they even have access to that room, maybe that's his gun room and the door is always locked. :dunno:

In that case it would be properly stored to me.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would agree with you, but we cant judge from that picture alone.
    We dont know if the OP lives with kids or if they even have access to that room, maybe that's his gun room and the door is always locked. :dunno:

In that case it would be properly stored to me.

I said it was my opinion.

I stored my guns in a wooden wall-mount rack just like that. Then about 20 years ago I decided I should get serious about being responsible for my firearms at all times, which to me means in a safe if they're not "in-use".

I was simply stating the NRA recognized rules for firearms safety, and my own views on the subject.

Offered as food for thought.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Only ones here are me and my son, who's 16 and knows better, then he has a visitor once in a while. I don't leave loaded firearms on the coffee table or whatever; you'd have to go through a door or two to get armed. There are no liberals or their small ignorant children coming around, so don't worry. Yes, it's under control.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I keep two "loaded" guns in my house (three if you count one in the safe), but none have a round in the chamber. I'm willing to take the chance that I'll have the second or two that I need to chamber a round rather than risk an accidental (or negligent) discharge (also have two small but vocal dogs for an early warning system). But that's just me... :dunno:

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    I keep my guns loaded all of the time. The pictured rack in the OP is in a small hall-way, just off of the living room. This is for accessibility just in case they are needed. I live in the country, so most of their use is dispatching varmints that come on the property. I do have two teenagers in the house, but both have been trained around firearms their entire life and know not to touch them unless needed. I believe in training my family. If the kids have friends over, an adult is always home. My son keeps his .22 in his room. To him it is a tool, not a toy. This is the way it should be. If I see a visitor really interested in what is hanging on the wall, it is usually a good indicator of one of two things:

1. They already know what they are looking at because they have some in their house.

2. They are intrigued by them because they have limited or no knowledge of firearms.

In either case, the first thing I point to is the "Four rules" sign. We discuss the rules. If it is ok with their parents, I will take them out back to the range and let them shoot. This in itself (IMO) takes care of 80% of the "excitement" about guns. Once they know what guns are, and what they do, there is no longer an itch waiting to be scratched.

Educate, educate, educate!!

Top Bottom