• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't have any good links to it, but I'm sure everyone has heard of it lately. Today show had a thing this morning, and then that show on the History Channel.

What do you think? Is it real or a fraud?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think it is a real burial shroud. I don't know if it is the shroud which encased Jesus Christ. I don't know if the image is man made or some natural staining of the cloth from a body. In any way it does not make or shake my faith.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Definitely a real funeral/burial shroud. That History Channel show was pretty cool. Amazing what we can still learn from ancient artifacts!

Is is Christ? I doubt it. A significant amount of evidence suggests it is a bit too young.

Just my :twocents:

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    I watched the show, and I believe it is the burial cloth of Jesus, They did some pretty cool tests and nobody could tell what made the markings on the cloth they stated it was burned into it, and I believe the minute of the resurrection caused that image, I believe the Image that they came up was very close of what Jesus looked like I mean he was a Jewish man in his 30's and it certainly looked it to me, It actually made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when they showed it, to imagine that in 2010 we can see what Jesus looked like! amazing and however everyone else feels about it I know I will see him one day and then the pictures won't matter one bit! :D

electra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Carbon 14 testing done in 1988 by 3 laboratories showed the age of this relic to be between AD 1260 and AD 1390 with a confidence factor of 95%, (The Blood and the Shroud - Ian Wilson) however . . .

This item has been through both fire, and exposure to hydrocarbon consuming/emitting organisms which may throw all measurements in a cocked hat.

Sooo, whatever you choose to believe, it's a fascinating subject!

LCPer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a lot of controversy over the authenticity of this relic. Some say it is the burial shroud of Christ and others say it isn't. My question is this. "Does it really matter"? Would it really change one's beliefs if it it is not? I think too much emphasis is put on the scientific proof of Christ than just accepting Him and His teaching through FAITH.

Hebrews 11:1-2

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    There is a lot of controversy over the authenticity of this relic. Some say it is the burial shroud of Christ and others say it isn't. My question is this. "Does it really matter"? Would it really change one's beliefs if it it is not? I think too much emphasis is put on the scientific proof of Christ than just accepting Him and His teaching through FAITH.

Hebrews 11:1-2

No, as far as faith and scripture goes, it's utterly irrelevant.

As far as archeological "coolness" goes, though, it matters a great deal. If it's real, if it could actually be proven to be the burial shroud of Jesus.... well, i"m not sure even the Holy Grail would be more cool. If it's a forgery, it's still quite cool, because how it was done, at that time, with the materials we think to have been available, well... that would just open up a whole new line of study, and perhaps cause a re-examination of what we think we know about those times.

Whether it's real, or not, I don't know. They've not been able to truly duplicate the image except with some rather modern equipment. Carbon testing is useless, the material is too contaminated. Fascinating, either way.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I saw a show a few months back were they were trying to say that it was a hoax perpetrated by none other than Leonardo DaVinci, and the image on the shroud is actually his face.:dunno:

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    If you believe in the Bible then you can't believe in the Shroud of Turin being Jesus burial cloth.

John 19:40 "Taking Jesus' body, the two of them wrapped it, with the spices, in strips of linen. This was in accordance with Jewish burial customs."

Ancient Jewish Burial custom was to dip strips of linen in a thick jell like perfume and spice mix, rap the body in the strips of linen from foot to neck and let it harden like paper mache making it air tight to keep the bad smell of rotting flesh in while having a good smell on the outside. Then they would put a single cloth over the face and then rap it with strips of linen. By the end you would have a mummified looking body. This procedure was used on Jesus thus eliminating the Shroud of Turin as Jesus actual burial cloth for Jesus Christ.

John 20:5-6 goes on to say of the post resurrection events "He (John) bent over and looked in at the strips of linen lying there but did not go in. Then Simon Peter, who was behind him, arrived and went into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there."

Luke 24:12 also says, Peter, however, got up and ran to the tomb. Bending over, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what had happened."

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you believe in the Bible then you can't believe in the Shroud of Turin being Jesus burial cloth.

John 19:40 "Taking Jesus' body, the two of them wrapped it, with the spices, in strips of linen. This was in accordance with Jewish burial customs."

Ancient Jewish Burial custom was to dip strips of linen in a thick jell like perfume and spice mix, rap the body in the strips of linen from foot to neck and let it harden like paper mache making it air tight to keep the bad smell of rotting flesh in while having a good smell on the outside. Then they would put a single cloth over the face and then rap it with strips of linen. By the end you would have a mummified looking body. This procedure was used on Jesus thus eliminating the Shroud of Turin as Jesus actual burial cloth for Jesus Christ.

John 20:5-6 goes on to say of the post resurrection events "He (John) bent over and looked in at the strips of linen lying there but did not go in. Then Simon Peter, who was behind him, arrived and went into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there."

Luke 24:12 also says, Peter, however, got up and ran to the tomb. Bending over, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what had happened."

But Jesus' burial was rushed, they had to get him in the tomb before sunset, and the onset of Sabbath. They did not have time to properly prepare him, or wrap him. This opens, to me, the possibility that the shroud could be one of the strips of linen.

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    But Jesus' burial was rushed, they had to get him in the tomb before sunset, and the onset of Sabbath. They did not have time to properly prepare him, or wrap him. This opens, to me, the possibility that the shroud could be one of the strips of linen.

The Scriptures say they used strips of linen and pounds and pounds of aloe to rap him in accordance with the Jewish burial customs. And it says there were strips of linen not once piece in the empty tomb. Sorry.

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    To men (or women) of faith, does it really matter?

Sort of. When people espouse and tout these kind of things (which have nothing to do with the Biblical message nor historical evidence of Christianity) as real and then someone debunks it, it makes people doubt and lose faith.

Also, an important proof that Jesus was dead in the tomb for three days and not just passed out is that he was rapped in a linen-mache burial shroud that was air tight and in which a person could not breath. This debunks the theory that he wasn't really dead.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I think there is something to it, not positive but there is something. I have read a book about it and the pollen, flowers, and COINS (over the eyes) place it to first century Palestine. The coins are what got me, dated mites to ~30 AD ish.

Top Bottom