• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    this is an absolutely brilliant idea for saving money and even better for a SHTF situation.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMAWztZ6TI]YouTube - Use a 2-Liter Bottle as a 50 Watt Light Bulb lightbulb hack[/ame]

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Thats pretty cool! Dont think i will ever do it though. Only if i knew about that when i was 10yo with that fort built out back.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    sounds good... during daylight hours..........

And not practical in a climate where the bottles would freeze because the expansion/contraction problems of the water inside the bottles would cause them to split when they freeze.

And not practical in any building where there is an insulated roof/ceiling.

There are some small skylights that work like this, but are designed to be used in our climate and meet our building codes. Anyone interested should do a google search for "SolaTubes" and "SunPipes" as both of these brands meet out building codes.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If you watch the video, they say that it keeps glowing until midnight. That's what I want to see- how long it glows. They use it in a warm, poor areas so it makes sense as cheap lighting. They don't have to worry about freezing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If you watch the video, they say that it keeps glowing until midnight. That's what I want to see- how long it glows.
    I don't think it does glow at all. But do your own experiment. Take a pop bottle, fill it with water, put a little bleach in as directed, seal it and then set it outside in the sunshine for several hours. Carry it inside into a closet and see if it glows.

Last time I checked, the combination of bleach & water is not photo-luminescent.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    And not practical in a climate where the bottles would freeze because the expansion/contraction problems of the water inside the bottles would cause them to split when they freeze.

And not practical in any building where there is an insulated roof/ceiling.

There are some small skylights that work like this, but are designed to be used in our climate and meet our building codes. Anyone interested should do a google search for "SolaTubes" and "SunPipes" as both of these brands meet out building codes.

that but they cost $$$$ that was my point is in a SHTF scenario these would be far easier to to do the light tubes(which I think are way better than regular sky lights)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    that but they cost $$$$ that was my point is in a SHTF scenario these would be far easier to to do the light tubes(which I think are way better than regular sky lights)

When the SHTF I want to see you drilling holes in your roof and trying to find a way to seal it when it rains.

This is not in my opinion a good thing for a SHTF situation, I'd rather be concentrating or more important things.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Its pretty cool, but wouldnt work in most houses with ceilings and insulation. Would work in our barns, or maybe in my back porch But that's about it for us.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    If you watch the video, they say that it keeps glowing until midnight. That's what I want to see- how long it glows. They use it in a warm, poor areas so it makes sense as cheap lighting. They don't have to worry about freezing.
    \

I agree with Melensdad on this, I don't think it is about glowing this is nothing more than reflecting. I do however think it is a cool idea and may find its way into the storage shed I need to build. The only way it may "glow" is if the bleach contains phosphates then they might "glow" after being charged with light but I am skeptical about that even.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I agree with Melensdad on this, I don't think it is about glowing this is nothing more than reflecting. I do however think it is a cool idea and may find its way into the storage shed I need to build. The only way it may "glow" is if the bleach contains phosphates then they might "glow" after being charged with light but I am skeptical about that even.

agreed, I think the "glowing" was lost in translation for reflection.

Perfect idea for lighting sheds, mini-barns and such during the day.

Might also be an interesting way to light the inside of a debris shelter.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Yeah, if mixing chlorine with water caused a reaction that would produce that much light, imagine how a pool would light up the neighborhood.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well, actually, when the next Ice Age happens and the glaciers force us to move south to the equator, this could be helpful... :): Still a neat little trick that I'm sure most of us hadn't thought of. Good find!

jrich2125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Atlanta, IN
    Good call Indy, how in the world are they keeping it in the roof water tight? Any amount of time in the roof and sealant would fail causing a leak! Just what I want a leak and then a two liter filled with water falling on my head. Not a good idea although it may work for them.

Top Bottom