• Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    Interesting idea.

In a redneck sort of way...lol

Storage shed use perhaps? Paint stripes on the bottles with this stuff and have some night time use...it works great for cheapo night sights. Glow in the Dark Paint - Solvent Based

Anyway....just think of the strange looks you would get from your neighbors when you are up on your ROOF playing ringtoss... :D

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    And the verdict is...

I agree with Melensdad on this, I don't think it is about glowing this is nothing more than reflecting. I do however think it is a cool idea and may find its way into the storage shed I need to build. The only way it may "glow" is if the bleach contains phosphates then they might "glow" after being charged with light but I am skeptical about that even.

Completed my test. The video is misleading B.S. The video indicated that they had light from morning-midnight from this setup, which led me to believe that they would glow from the bleach-water mixture. No way that they have sun until midnight in Latin America.

I put together a bottle last night, left it out during the day today and brought it in- no glow whatsoever. The bleach is apparently to keep algae/microbes/etc from growing and has nothing to do with the light. Basically, these bottles are a form of sky-light. The 50-watt light bulb glow would likely be only when the sunlight is at the best angles. Earlier and later in the day, the light would be significantly dimmer.

Works well enough as a supplement to electric lights when you are poor, electricity isn't reliable, and you don't have to worry about freezing. Can't really see much of an application in Indiana, even after SHTF. In our environment, true skylights would be a better solution for "free" no-electricity daytime lighting.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i think the glow until midnight might be because some of the radiant light from the stars and moon still seep in and keep a "glow" in the room allowing more light in than would normally be let in without the bottle.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    i think the glow until midnight might be because some of the radiant light from the stars and moon still seep in and keep a "glow" in the room allowing more light in than would normally be let in without the bottle.
    I was thinking the same thing. Midnight must be a time when the moon isn't in a postition to provide enough light to the roof of his shop to provide a glow.

I think it's not a bad idea for storage shed light if you can not afford a commercial sky light. Or an outhouse light.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think it's not a bad idea for storage shed light if you can not afford a commercial sky light. Or an outhouse light.

In our climate there will still be big issues with leaks caused by the freeze/thaw cycles. We have to remember that water expands as it turns into ice so it is very likely that those will expand over the winter and then when the temps warm up enough the ice will melt, they will contract in size, and may drop down into the room/porch/shed like a 2 liter bomb. Heaven help whoever/whatever is under it when it come crashing down, oh, and don't forget that there will be a big hole in the roof for rain to come pouring into.

For people who live in the tropics and have a dark room or two, this is a great, cheap, alternative to a skylight. For those of us up north where we have building codes, insulation and freezing weather, well, not such a good idea.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you had sun until midnight, you could have "light" in the house, like in the north when the daylight gets long. The other thing is Brazil is an equatorial country, of course they will get more sunlight overhead, thus more light. As far a a shed light, just get the clear/translucent corrugate panels, like we've been doing for years. Then you won't have to worry about leaks. Another thing, windows, seem to work well for letting in sunlight, especially when you take the direction of the sun into consideration in building homes. When they are all grid tied, who cares? Sky lights would work well and be a more appropriate technology for our climes. I have thought about installing some in the darker rooms in our house. During the daylight, I rarely turn a light on in the house as our windows give us more than enough light (southern exposure).

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here is a real solar light.

zoom
    b4ad

SAMMY13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    So one has to make HOLE(s) in ones roof ??? Great idea but HOLES in ones roof
    won't do in most apt and or homes in US

Top Bottom