• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    “We recommend storing our bleach at room temperatures. It can be stored for about 6 months at temperatures between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. After this time, bleach will be begin to degrade at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water. Storing at temperatures much higher than 70 degrees Fahrenheit could cause the bleach to lose its effectiveness and degrade more rapidly. However, if you require 6% sodium hypochlorite, you should change your supply every 3 months.”

great find, and a lot of good ideas and things i never thought about, glad to be a part of :ingo:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    So.... what's the stoichiometry on this?

I've never heard of bleach degrading before, ever....

not during my childhood nor during two and one-half years of chemistry...

NaClO + H20 -//-> NaCl + H20

There is no co-efficient which will balance the reagents.

I don't buy it.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I sucked at Chem, but every google entry I could find from Preppers to Commercial cleaning sites states that it degrades to salt.

Why do you have to keep adding chlorine to you pool if it does not degrade?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Calcium hypochlorite is definitely a good choice, too, but it seems to be the hypochlorite ion which is the disinfectant part... any Metal Hypochlorite should be equivalent... at least, any Alkali or Rare Earth Alkali metal (Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium, Beryllium, Magnesium, Calcium, or Strontium). You could, for instance, use Potassium Hypochlorite, although Sodium and Calcium are much cheaper. Also, upon more thought, I definitely buy that it breaks down into water and salt(s). I didn't think to include the evolution of oxygen... So it'd actually be something like:

NaClO + H2O => 2NaCl + H2O + O2

Since I left out one of the chemicals being produced, of course it wouldn't balance.

Hm. Checks out to me and I'd like to retract my earlier statement... apparently, at second glance, this would appear to be true.

Just one more reason to stock up on it.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    This is the practice I always go by. I don't always have a lot to spend on preps. I buy a bit here and a bit there. When getting groceries I throw in a few extra cans of soup or other canned goods, and maybe some pasta or rice. I had any scraps of meat from the deer this summer made into jerky. And when I get the chance I always try to buy a box or two of ammo or first aid supplies when money dictates. One thing I need to start remembering to keep more of in stock is dog food. I've been just buying what I need to get by, but need to keep more on hand just in case.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Been thinking about this more, and it seems that powder/granules still degrade, but do so far less quickly than aqueous solutions of it: 2NaClO => 2NaCl + O2

Not sure if water helps the reaction or slows it.

I'd like to see a Pool O' Truth done on this to experiment.

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    For these types of situations I would slowly buy a lot of different things. Instead of buying a big giant medical kit, I would slowly pick up things every week and pick up my own bag to keep them in (Something large and easy to carry). As far as food goes, grow your own if you can and can from garden every year to have a good supply of veggies for a really low cost. Pick up cans on sale at the grocery store when they have really good cheap deals on them. Just rotate your food supply to keep things as up to date as possible. Try and look around for things that will really last and things that will help your body get what it needs in small amounts. I really like the idea of purchasing salt as mentioned in the original post, because there are so many uses for it. Buy ammunition when you can in small quantities and watch it pile up. Pick up good deals on outdoor equipment and clothing when you find them. It is very easy to stock up for some crazy situations on just $25 a week or even a month.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    :rules:

Clearly you didn't read this thread...I will be looking for what you have to sell soon I suppose. :rolleyes:

Now don't jump to conclusions. Let's estimate $0.23 a round for the AK ammo. That would make 40 rounds $9.20, leaving $15.80 of the original $25 SHTF money for the AK magazine. This could be a legitimate post! Forget that the person joined four days ago, and averages 4.8 a day. :rolleyes:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    :ugh:

Now don't jump to conclusions. Let's estimate $0.23 a round for the AK ammo. That would make 40 rounds $9.20, leaving $15.80 of the original $25 SHTF money for the AK magazine. This could be a legitimate post! Forget that the person joined four days ago, and averages 4.8 a day. :rolleyes:

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I don't really have a budget for SHTF. I think the $25 a week is a good idea. Currently I've just been buying stuff at random. Ammo here, hand warmers, can opener etc there. But having a plan and a buying list makes a lot more sense.

I want to buy a couple more rifles (ar-15, and a .22) and then I want to start piling up the ammo, and supplies. I know you have to rotate food, but it seems like a real hassle. I know it's not that hard to do, but it would be a lot more convenient to buy something and then forget it.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I don't really have a budget for SHTF. I think the $25 a week is a good idea. Currently I've just been buying stuff at random. Ammo here, hand warmers (forget this crap, only essentials), can opener etc there. But having a plan and a buying list makes a lot more sense.

I want to buy a couple more rifles (ar-15, and a .22) (Buy 22 ammo even if you don't have one, especially if you plan on getting one, ammo will always appreciate, and might even become currency in a barder system) and then I want to start piling up the ammo, and supplies. I know you have to rotate food, but it seems like a real hassle. I know it's not that hard to do, but it would be a lot more convenient to buy something and then forget it.

Store it and forget it for 25yrs at $25

MOUNTAIN HOUSE: #10 Cans: Main Entrees

Top Bottom