• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    You need a doctor to get them or some guys buy them in the form of animal medicine. You can just go to most doctors and get them to help you out on some antibiotics.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Dont buy fish meds, they are the worst quality ever, could be dangerous. If you are going to buy animal meds make it horse meds.

jamisan01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Rochester, In
    Sailor is 100% right! I have a friend who is a horse breeder, he hasn't been to a doctor for antibiotics in 25 yrs. If he has the need for them, he heads to the farm store. They're cheaper and more potent!

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    If we are talking about storing meds for future use in dire circumstances, I would NOT store liquid antibiotics which are regularly used for equine use but thats just my opinion.
    By the way Thomas Labs makes antibiotics for all animals including horses.
    Welcome to Thomas Labs

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My wife and I are both nurses so we are fairly comfortable self-treating certain things. I will only buy "people" anti-biotics and such. Not really stockpiling, just looking to have a supply for when one of us gets sick, saves money from paying an office visit, copay, etc.

thompbarn

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Go to SurvivingHealthy.com. You fill out a physician form, then you can order antibiotics (human-variety generics) in several configurations. They have a prescribing doc. Learned about this at survivalblog.com.

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    Antibiotics are way overprescribed these days, this is a real problem especially with resistant staph infections. I wouldn't take them unless you need to. If you are looking for "human" anitibiotics, then I believe you will need a prescription. Correct diagnosis and dosage is very important also. Penicillin or amoxicillin should handle most of your needs.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Next time you happen to be at the doctor for whatever reason, tell them you are planning to travel somwhere out of the country like Mexico. My Doc gives me a script for Cipro, a very good all around antibiotic

GrumpyUnk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Jackson County
    I'm a long time ER nurse and maybe that made a difference, but I told my Doc exactly that I wanted to stockpile some meds and she wrote me several scripts w/ refills. She offered suggestions and recommendations also.

If I had a regular Doc and insurance, that's where I'd start.

rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Cipro is good broad spectrum antibiotic, if you need something cheaper for regular cases, amoxicillin ($4 for 30 500mg capsuls from Wally world), also metronidazole (flagyl) is another antibiotic which is an excellent choice for a lot of bacterial diarrhea, and Doxycycline (works against plague, malaria prophylaxis). Some painkiller, topical antibiotic with painkiller like Neosporin+pain relief, antiseptic solution (Povidone-iodine or betadine), Antidiarrhea pills, and tylenol. Remember, in the case of SHFT due to poor hygiene, infectious disease spread out quickly. Also if you are on a medication you need to stockpile that one as well. BTW, I'm a pharmacist and chemist.

rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My wife and I are both nurses so we are fairly comfortable self-treating certain things. I will only buy "people" anti-biotics and such. Not really stockpiling, just looking to have a supply for when one of us gets sick, saves money from paying an office visit, copay, etc.
    I do the same, (I'm pharmacist).

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Then you should have plenty of access to the sample cabinet/closet.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I went "shopping" for a like minded Doctor and when I had the feeling he was a linke minded individual I went to an office visit wearing a particular shirt that helps me figure people out. Once he commented on the T-shirt and we had a discussion about he and his entire adult family all having lifetime LTCH's I knew I was set. The shirt is one my better half picked up from Wally World as a joke, it has a picture of a bear standing upright holding a rifle and says "I support the right to arm bears."

I haven't asked for too much, it takes some "history" to get things going. Blood tests, normal physicals, etc to keep things legit.

I already had a decent stock on antibiotics and pain meds as well as long term meds.

Like I mentioned as well as others have, if you have a good Doctor and insurance utilize them as best as you can. If your doctor understand, even if not like minded, they may help you out with anything they think is critical.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    When stockpiling meds, make sure your not allergic to the ones your putting away...

All the books and doctors etc... say this is the best for this illness but if you never used something like a sulfa drug, or pcn, etc. you have no idea if your allergic to the stuff and the last thing you want to do is wrap your money up in something that will kill you just as fast or faster than the illness or injury your fighting while the SHTF is in place... Just a thought... Also watch what your carrying with you in normal times as some PD's will check if the prescription is good or not and if it is yours and will arrest you for possesion of a controlled substance if your prescription is out of date on the item... Something else I ran across...

Top Bottom