• SHTF Rifles

• Total voters

SundayShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Hancock County
    I voted other because I am really starting to enjoy the Kel-Tec RFB. Small size, large caliber(.308) and takes FAL mags. Only drawback is that it weighs quite a bit, but I can forgive it for that.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Well, I'm actually surprised and happy with all the responses so far. I didn't really figure it would get this many responses! Keep 'em coming:ingo:

I was the first to vote(obviously) and it was for my SIG 556. I'll tell you why. It has the accuracy of the AR. It will hold its own when I shoot it with the AR thanks to the hammer forged barrel. It has the reliability of the AK since it is piston driven. I got one of the earlier ones with all Swiss internals so there isn't any peening seen in the newer ones. It takes AR mags which I have a lot of. Weight is good and right on par with the AR. When I add my rail though to the SIG though it weighs a ton:xmad: Maintenance is really easy. Bolt group is very similar to the AK with less moving parts then an AR. So basically the SIG 556 takes the best of the AR and AK world and throws it into one.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As always, I'm going to say the trusty ole AK. Now that I have mine sighted in, it's dead on. My main reason for choosing the AK, is reliability. I'm not saying that the AR/M4 platform is not reliable. They require much more maintenance to operate reliably. My AK gets shot and put back into the safe. Another plus is I can pick up ammo for $5 a box. Plus, it packs more punch then the .223/5.56. It may not have the range of the .223/5.56, but it's range is enough for my needs. The platform itself and loaded mags way a little more, but it's not an issue. I am a fan of platforms that fire the .308 or 30-06 calibers. However, bullet size does become a factor. For the same amount of weight, I can carry more 7.62x39. In terms of reliability, the M14, M1A, and M1 Garand are all fantastic and reliable platforms.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Here's a question for everyone. Let's say that you have to bugout for some reason (civil unrest, earthquake, whatever), and you've made your choice about what rifle to take. Assuming you have several rifles, each with ammo, what do you do with the rest of them? Do you leave them, with the hope that you will be able to return to get them before looters get to them, or do destroy everything so they don't fall into the hands of looters, and if so, how?

There is a place in my house that is already prepped and ready for long term storage of any guns I have to leave without. Chances of looters finding this hiding place without dismantling the house board by board are slim to none and slim left town. The firearm will be store sans firing pins, bolts, etc to render them useless and those items will either go with me or into a second hiding place that would be equally as hard to find as the first.

Most looter would find the empty safes and assume they were already gone anyways.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    451_Detonics has a plan there. That's really the only good option on ditching weapons.

I voted other, a M1A Scout Squad. Add an old fashioned Alice rig and a couple of bandoleers and take it from there. I have some NATO 5-cell mag pouches with shoulder straps too.
    That adds up in weight, but I'd gladly carry it all if the situation required it.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I would be tempted with the M1A if it was full size. Chose the AR as that is what i currently have.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Why does everyone see the need for a MBR when most likely you will use your rifle for food gathering and not for repelling boarders? An AK isn't going to leave much of Mr Squirrel for the stew pot. With a 22 I can easily pack a couple thousand rounds without effort and even better when used for hunting, just a little imagination will make it quiet enough you don't alert the whole county to your position. Very low muzzle flash (again none if you use imagination) and I bet any of the people on this forum would decide to quit their aggression with a couple or three 22s in their belly.

I guess some have delusions of camo'ing up and taking to the woods where in proper Rambo fashion they will be able to defeat hoards of the enemy. Btw...just who is the enemy? Your neighbor who is trying to find some food for his family? A 14 year old boy looking for a handout? An ex-cheerleader whose Mother needs medicine?

Admittedly there would be some BGs out there but there is a good chance they will not be alone and shooting brer rabbit with the AR will just be ringing the dinner bell for them. The best offense will be a well planned E&E plan.

IndyS12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Zionsville, IN
    Since we're doing hypothetical stuff, I'm going with "other" simply because I have a Saiga 12 with plenty of ammo and a big variety of different shells. It seems like a shotgun would be one of the better all purpose weapons you could get (not saying it's best at everything, but they can cover quite a few roles at once). For laughs, I'd probably bring my 91/30 Mosin Nagant as well in case I needed to club anything.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I chose the AK platform because my Saiga 223 would work great in that situation. The reliability of an AK with the ability to use the plentiful .223 rem round.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I would pick my AR first. Then depending on who we are fighting with I might change to an AK. I would think with those two choices I should be able to pick up plenty of ammo from the fallen.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Why does everyone see the need for a MBR when most likely you will use your rifle for food gathering and not for repelling boarders? An AK isn't going to leave much of Mr Squirrel for the stew pot. With a 22 I can easily pack a couple thousand rounds without effort and even better when used for hunting, just a little imagination will make it quiet enough you don't alert the whole county to your position. Very low muzzle flash (again none if you use imagination) and I bet any of the people on this forum would decide to quit their aggression with a couple or three 22s in their belly.

I guess some have delusions of camo'ing up and taking to the woods where in proper Rambo fashion they will be able to defeat hoards of the enemy. Btw...just who is the enemy? Your neighbor who is trying to find some food for his family? A 14 year old boy looking for a handout? An ex-cheerleader whose Mother needs medicine?

Admittedly there would be some BGs out there but there is a good chance they will not be alone and shooting brer rabbit with the AR will just be ringing the dinner bell for them. The best offense will be a well planned E&E plan.

I agree with you to an extent. Obviously the .22LR is better suited for taking small game, without pulverizing the meat. However, if you ran into a roamer or two. I would hate to have nothing more than a .22 for defense. If that was the only weapon you had. In other words no siderarm, shotgun, or center fire rifle. If I had only one gun with me. Then I would rather have a shotgun. With the right load you can take small game, larger game, and still use it for SD. In hypothetical situations there are too many factors. Too much, what if this, and what about that.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I agree with you to an extent. Obviously the .22LR is better suited for taking small game, without pulverizing the meat. However, if you ran into a roamer or two. I would hate to have nothing more than a .22 for defense. If that was the only weapon you had. In other words no siderarm, shotgun, or center fire rifle. If I had only one gun with me. Then I would rather have a shotgun. With the right load you can take small game, larger game, and still use it for SD. In hypothetical situations there are too many factors. Too much, what if this, and what about that.

The key to survival when hostiles may be in the area is maintaining a very low profile, very hard to do when hunting with a centerfire or shotgun. If you should spot a couple "roamers" and you are alone the best thing to do would to be to slip away unnoticed. If you are spotted find cover first and make them come to you. I bet they will go away if you hit them in the chest with a couple rounds of 22 from a good covered position. Roamers will tend to be the mall ninjas that didn't prep at all and learned tactics from Call of Duty. Staying in touch with your home base can also keep back up close on hand. Of course you do want to be sure it is a BG before doing anything, could easily be a guy out hunting like you are from the neighboring family enclave...you don't want to start a war with your neighbors.

In hypothetical situations there are too many factors. Too much, what if this, and what about that.

Not really, situation is you can only grab one gun...period. The 22 is simply the most versatile firearm you can grab. If you feel another caliber is make sure you give reasons why it is better...don't just say it is because you say so. :D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The key to survival when hostiles may be in the area is maintaining a very low profile, very hard to do when hunting with a centerfire or shotgun. If you should spot a couple "roamers" and you are alone the best thing to do would to be to slip away unnoticed. If you are spotted find cover first and make them come to you. I bet they will go away if you hit them in the chest with a couple rounds of 22 from a good covered position. Roamers will tend to be the mall ninjas that didn't prep at all and learned tactics from Call of Duty. Staying in touch with your home base can also keep back up close on hand. Of course you do want to be sure it is a BG before doing anything, could easily be a guy out hunting like you are from the neighboring family enclave...you don't want to start a war with your neighbors.

Not really, situation is you can only grab one gun...period. The 22 is simply the most versatile firearm you can grab. If you feel another caliber is make sure you give reasons why it is better...don't just say it is because you say so. :D

The problem with that, is this. Every caliber has it's strenghts and weaknesses. A .22 is a great small game round. However, I would not rely on it as my primary SD round. The .223/5.56 or 7.62x39 will destroy small game. However, I would much rather have one of those calibers in a SD situation. Plus they have more punch out to longer distances. The downside is.

1. They are louder
    2. They are heavier
    3. Ammo weighs more

Same goes, when you get into .308 and 30-06 calibers.

Unless you are a trained Ninja, you may not always be able to stay stealthy. Many of us live in the City. So we may have to travel to find a food source, in terms of game. You never know who, or what you may run into. So, in my opinion there is no perfect caliber. Carry what you have on hand, and what you see fit for the task. I would choose my AK or a shotgun. If I have to roam farther from home. If I was in close proximity of home, and small game was visible. Then I see the .22 as a better choice. Like I said, we are talking a hypothetical situation here. There will be no rules in place. Saying wait, you can only have one firearm. It comes down to what you have, and what you can carry comfortably. When the real things happens, what then? It's very wise to have a emergency plan in place. However, when SHTF things may change.

I think a shotgun is more versatile than a .22. It can be used to take small game, large game, and be used for self defense. The .22 can easily take small game. However, it's not affective for taking large game. Not saying it could not be done, but it's going to be more difficult. The .22 has the edge in.

1. Weight
    2. Noise level produced when fired
    3. Ammunition is lighter

Last edited:
    Top Bottom