• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I'd really like to know exactly what in your own mind is the SHTF moment. Is it natural disaster, Anarchy due to the imminent fall of the US government, the Muslim threat , Your mother in law coming to visit, all of the above. Or some other reason of your own.

I'm not questioning the need to be prepared just looking for your input and thoughts on the matter.

gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Anything that disrupts your normal way of live for more than 72 hours. Storms, terrorist attacks, government meltdown, zombies.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I look at more local stuff. Like a big storm taking out power and travel restrictions for a long period of time.

It could be something as simple as losing your job and not being to find another one, or being in some type of acccident that seriously reduces or cuts out any income.

I worked construction and many times I was thankful I did not have to worry about food and had money back to meet the bills for a couple months. I always hated dealing with unemployment so I always made sure I had enough back I did not have to deal with them.

I figure if I can keep myself set up to survive those kind of things, I will be Ok with larger events.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I define SHTF as pretty much anything that significantly and negatively disrupts daily routine. It's a wide range of topics with no hard and fast answer. I define The End Of The World As We Know It as anything that affects a nation or nations and will not return to normality within the lifetimes of those affected.

SHTF on INGO I've noticed since June 2010:
    2 Emergency surgery
    3 Divorce
    6 Serious car accidents no serious injury but car totaled
    2 Serious car accidents- injury requiring hospital
    1 Serious at fault car crash, 5 serious injuries, inadequate insurance
    9 Lost jobs/no new job ready to go
    8 Family deaths
    10 children born
    3 significant flooding events
    3 computer crashes with total loss of data/no backup
    1 major house fire-displaced occupants months later
    3 terminal illness in family diagnosis.
    2 household problems with freezing weather.
    Note there have been no zombie apocalypse or major social collapse in that time, but each of these I grant you that these are just little figures I've been noting as I see them, and I may have missed a few. I don't think I missed a ZA or major social collapse. Each one of those little SHTF or other events were life changing events for the folks involved.

Just something to think about when you prep.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, basically anything that makes me change my daily routine and has a negative impact on my life, (and probably the lives of those around me,) for a significant time.

Like a zombie apocalypse. That'll disrupt my daily routine a bit. :)

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Heck my worst SHTF scenario is momma coming home from work all pissed off! That happens about every other day so I am a pro after 26 years with her.;)

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I think we should develop a SHTF ranking system. It could go something like this;
    SHTF 1; zombie invasion
    SHTF 2; widespread economic disaster
    SHTF 3; Fall of the house to the Dems
    SHTF 4; A local gun store closes
    SHTF 5; Appendicitis

Thoughts?

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Plus, when you've got you've got Eric "I Can't Even Say "Muslim Extremism'" Holder, Janet Incompetano, and Timothy "Turbo Tax" Geithner helping him ruin... I mean, "run" things, then the S has REALLY hit the F!!!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    To Viper Jock.
    I've had the apendicitis, Gun stores open and close all the tiime and we're in a widespread economic disaster but the other two scare me to death.

Thanks

Thats my point. In order of scariness they get a rank. Plus I mean inflation in the 3-4 digit % and you can't buy food kind of economic disaster. While we may only be a push away from that, we aren't there yet.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    SHTF on INGO I've noticed since June 2010:
    2 Emergency surgery
    3 Divorce
    6 Serious car accidents no serious injury but car totaled
    2 Serious car accidents- injury requiring hospital
    1 Serious at fault car crash, 5 serious injuries, inadequate insurance
    9 Lost jobs/no new job ready to go
    8 Family deaths
    10 children born
    3 significant flooding events
    3 computer crashes with total loss of data/no backup
    1 major house fire-displaced occupants months later
    3 terminal illness in family diagnosis.
    2 household problems with freezing weather.

I seriously hope that you made those numbers up and aren't actually tracking that stuff :dunno: (sometime internet sarcasm is lost on my, I'll admit it)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Heck my worst SHTF scenario is momma coming home from work all pissed off! That happens about every other day so I am a pro after 26 years with her.;)

I would rep you for this if I could, not sure if it would be positive or negative though. I get that pretty much daily. You deserve positive rep for bringing it up, negative rep for getting it less than me.

Top Bottom