• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowtech29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    new castle, indiana
    Hello, I have lost all of my hunting land and have never hunted with anything other than a bow. I am wanting to purchase a Saiga 12 for HD and was curious to its accuracy with slugs so that I can go to the public lands and try to save my Deer season. Thanks

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I've shot one, with slugs, but I'm not sure how to relate its accuracy. Its a smoothbore, so I think you'll get better accuracy with slugs out of a shotgun that has a rifled barrel.

On the HD front though, Saiga-12s often need some tuning out of the box to run reliably with birdshot loads. I have heard that the problems historically have been inconsistent machining of the gas ports in the barrel. Most often, the prescribed fix is to polish the bolt assembly, bolt rails, and hammer with dremel tool to reduce friction, and then maybe use a lighter spring and/or a different gas cylinder plug. Basically, its a shotgun that was designed around a military application, and the military didnt fool around with low brass target/bird loads, so therein was the issue--or so was the perception a couple years ago. However, I will qualify that statement by saying that was the deal 2 years ago--the importer has changed and the Russians may be building a more consistent shotgun these days. High brass/HD loads I have yet to hear of a problem with them. The one I had ultimately used a slightly weaker spring and some polishing, and it runs everything fine; I have no concerns over its reliability.

I think they are great shotguns that are simple and reliable as an AK47 (it basically is an AK47). They can be kind of expensive though, because once you buy one, you'll have to fight the urge to pimp it up all tacticool, and to do so means that you need to be mindful of the section 922(r) requirements. But once you get there you'll have a bada** shotgun. :ar15:

There is a webforum hosted specifically for the Saiga-12 shotguns; Saiga-12.com. I would recommend poking around there; there's alot of help to be had. :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    While I have never used my saiga 12 for hunting purposes, and I am not up on all of Indiana's current hunting laws - I am confident that my saiga 12 would be more than accurate enough to down a deer.

You may want to check into Indiana's hunting firearm restrictions, but if I remember correctly shell capacity is not an issue for DEER in Indiana.

It *might* be an issue for birds and such, but 2 round magazines do exist for the saiga 12.

It would not be my first choice for deer, but it would get the job done if you do yours. A rifled barrel with sabot slugs would be my first choice for deer, but unless a legal reason exists, I see no reason the saiga 12 with rifled slugs would not be more than capable.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd urge you to rethink the S12 as an HD/Hunting combo. Don't get me wrong, because you will be hard pressed to find a bigger AK fan than me - however - the S12 just won't be as reliable (in general) than your off the shelf 870/11-87/etc. It also won't be as accurate as a purposed rifled slug gun (not to mention that it will also be heavier, bulkier, and more awkward).

Bottom line, it just doesn't fill those roles real well. It's much more of a *toy* than anything else.

Your basic 870 pump with a 18 smooth-bore barrel for HD and 20ish rifled barreled for hunting is going to fill that dual-purpose role better than a S12 ever will. It also won't cost you an arm and a leg in the process.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The problem about making blanket statements for Saiga 12s is that they simply are not all made equal. The voices you've heard in this thread speak either from experience or what they've read on the internet.

There is the other side though...

My Saiga 12 will ring 8" steel at 50 yards all day long with slugs. That's plenty of accuracy for deer hunting. She has also ran perfectly out of the box and is completely factory except for the conversion that I did on it myself. Bulk, 00, slugs, whatever it has NEVER choked in the field in multigun (a lot of shooting with it there) or anywhere else.

I am NOT saying the above posts aren't right. I'm saying with some S12 you'll get a gem and with others a turd. I got a gem. If you can get one with 3 factory ports, you'll be good to go. If you get one with 2, you'll probably need some work.:twocents:

Top Bottom