• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    Recently applied for my lifetime carry license and would like any input on a handgun for a side arm. Currently funds arn't much of an issue but what im looking for is a gun that is super durable. I like stopping power but I want to be realistic. The ones im considering under my research are a HK45 or mark III hunter. I carry a 10/22 takedown in my 72 hr pack (looking at a henry ar-7 for the old lady, any input would be helpful). Im open to suggestions on caliber and type. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.
    -Lance

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Top three based on popularity: Glock, M&P, XDM. Probably in that order. Walther PPQ is at the top of the list quality wise, but it is just probably not as popular since it is an import. In double action there is the Beretta PX4, which is real nice.

Those are the modern pistols valued at around $500 that come to mind.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    DIABLO - As a professional firearms trainer for the Government, let me ask a few questions:

What is your level of training? buying a gun does not make you a gunfighter any more than buying a violin makes you a violinist. This question applies to you and your wife. GET SOME PROFESSIONAL TRAINING, it will up your game and confidence significantly.

Shoot a lot of different pistols and see what feels good in your hand and what you like. If you are carrying concealed, see what will be concealable for your size and clothing style.

Then choose caliber. I would stay within the .357 magnum/ 9mm / .40 Caliber / .45 ACP camp for ammo availability and stopping power. Among these calibers, with proper shot placement, you will be fine.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    training

My training is limited. I did complete a hunter education course when I was in high school and have shot various guns since then. However I have never shot an automatic pistol. I haven't found a place where I would have an opportunity to test out multiple different guns. None of my friends or relatives have a large selection either. When I do make a decision I plan to to join the local conservation club and practice at their range (assuming I can find ammo). I dont have any plans for future firearm specific training, but I do think I will try to make it to wetsu survival course on march 23 and he might touch on that there. Thanks for the help so far. Still could use some more input.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Depending on your size/build, the HK USP in .45 may not suit you. Its a big gun, more of a true sidearm, in the military sense, to be worn in in a dropleg or flap holster rather tham concealed. It does not hide well. If its too big, you wont carry it either.

The Glock 19 gets my vote. Absolutely reliable, rugged, relatively inexpensive, cheap enough to feed, and plenty of option for holsters, sights, lights etc.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I have the HK45. I used to carry 1911s, Glocks, Sigs, etc.... I'll never go back after the HK45. I have just found it to be the perfect semiauto sidarm I've been looking for.

As to your Mark III hunter, I would assume it's to have a .22 plinker or .22 pistol for small game hunting, not as a primary weapon. I'm actually going to recommend you look into a .22 revolver instead of a semi auto. I have yet to own any semi auto .22 that didn't jam. It's not a factor of the gun, it's the ammunition. It's the cheapest, most mass produced ammo out there and because of that, you run into duds. A revolver is just a trigger pull away from clearing a FTF.

A couple of people have mentioned revolvers. I have a Ruger SP101 in 3" and a Ruger GP100 in 6". These are my hog guns (the 3" being my backup). I'll take these guys hunting and into the swamps and not even concern myself about whether or not they'll be able to take a beating. Built like a tank.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    The Glock 19 gets my vote. Absolutely reliable, rugged, relatively inexpensive, cheap enough to feed, and plenty of option for holsters, sights, lights etc.

Absolutely agree with this. Awesome pistol. My Gen 3's fit is my hand perfectly. Like them so much I've got 2 of them. Now all I need is that 26. :yesway:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Theres a lot of good firearms out there and it is totally a personal decision as to ones likes, size, and life style as to what will work the best, with that said I would throw in a few personal viewpoints based on my past experience...

Most people that know me... Know that I like the 1911A1's, and Beretta 92FS in semi auto pistols... I stopped carrying my 1911A1's years ago as the ammo became more expensive. I believe that you should shoot what you carry and carry what you shoot and the 9mm became more cost effective to keep within my first rule of Defensive carry... Now most of my older days, I carry a 2 inch Ruger SP101 in 357 magnum. The little revolver isn't atrusive and hard to CC if need be and it is light and small and therefore easy to carry with me. The reliability factor is second to none other type of carry handguns being a revolver design and of good solid manufacturer. The firearm design is that of what I would carry anyways while in the sticks somewhere and more likely what I would put in the BOB. The 357 has authority, more so than any of the pistol rounds out there and the 38 spcl can be used for practice or small game once your shooting abilities catch up with you wallet...

A few things I've noticed over the years..

Springfield XD is a nice pistol, but not made in the USA, no spare parts are available to the owner as the firearm has to be sent back to Springfield for any repairs, and even though the grip safety is present on the firearm it is hard to engage with winter gloves on depending on your hands.

Glocks are well made pistols, with plenty of after market parts for them, and are known for thier reliability/dependability factor. I feel they need a more intentive operator who understands trigger finger safety concepts to operate them safely because of the position of the safety on the trigger itself and the very low trigger pull poundage that most of these pistols have.

1911A1's are great but again they do need some safety standards to be kept mindful while carrying and using one. I believe they lend themselves to be safer than the Glock but if you don't engage the slide safety and dis-engage the grip safety and don't atch what you are doing bad things can happen...

Revolvers in general...

Normally these days the revolver will be in a magnum caliber, there is a real difference in down range results between a magnum caliber and any of the other pistol calibers. The 10mm might be the one that is up to snuff with the old 3 magnum standby's. The 357 will be the most popular in finding ammo for, the 44 magnum will be second up and will have much more recoil than the 357, the 41 magnum is a pleasure to shoot and will trump the 357 but is much harder to find ammo for... In revolvers you will find snub nose types for CCW and then you will find in the same calibers target and hunting class revolvers with everything from 6 to 8 shot cylinders to 2 inch to 9 inch barrels, even setup for scopes and rail lights etc... What I personally feel on the manufacturers from past experience is the Smith & Wesson is at the top of the list, closely followed by the Ruger Security-six/GP100/SP101 models and then you will find some old Colts whichare normally very expensive but fine revolvers in thier own right... After this you have the Rossi's, Taurus and some other strange names... The Taurus is fine for reliability but thier triggers are terrible and a gunsmith isn't gonna make that go away....

There's some stuff to think about....

Now here is one more thing... No matter what you decide to purchase and carry, you need training. Training and time on the range shooting it is all that you can do to make this tool you decided to carry with you a useable and formidable tool when you actually need it...

Your wife needs training too.....

Good luck...

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I have the HK45. I used to carry 1911s, Glocks, Sigs, etc.... I'll never go back after the HK45. I have just found it to be the perfect semiauto sidarm I've been looking for.

As to your Mark III hunter, I would assume it's to have a .22 plinker or .22 pistol for small game hunting, not as a primary weapon. I'm actually going to recommend you look into a .22 revolver instead of a semi auto. I have yet to own any semi auto .22 that didn't jam. It's not a factor of the gun, it's the ammunition. It's the cheapest, most mass produced ammo out there and because of that, you run into duds. A revolver is just a trigger pull away from clearing a FTF.

A couple of people have mentioned revolvers. I have a Ruger SP101 in 3" and a Ruger GP100 in 6". These are my hog guns (the 3" being my backup). I'll take these guys hunting and into the swamps and not even concern myself about whether or not they'll be able to take a beating. Built like a tank.

I assume that he is talking about a plinker also and their is certainly nothing wrong with a .22 revolver, however I can't disagree more about a .22 semi such as a Mark III. I have shot 1000's of rounds through Mark II's and III's and can count the "jams" on one hand. The vast majority of these have been cheap Federal 550 pack and some of the guns were used when I bought them. All you have to do is keep them cleaned and lubed and in proper repair and they work forever. The Mark II's and Mark III's can be a pita to learn to work on but once you get them figured out, they are pretty easy.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I assume that he is talking about a plinker also and their is certainly nothing wrong with a .22 revolver, however I can't disagree more about a .22 semi such as a Mark III. I have shot 1000's of rounds through Mark II's and III's and can count the "jams" on one hand. The vast majority of these have been cheap Federal 550 pack and some of the guns were used when I bought them. All you have to do is keep them cleaned and lubed and in proper repair and they work forever. The Mark II's and Mark III's can be a pita to learn to work on but once you get them figured out, they are pretty easy.

I have shot 1000s of rounds through Mark II's and III's too and I respectfully disagree. But even as you say, you can name a product where you noticed more jams. In times where your choice of .22 ammo is hard to find, a revolver feeds them all because they're pre-fed in the cylinder.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Diablo - GunBunnies' comments on the revolver are spot on. I highly reccomend at Ruger or SMith and Wesson "K" frame, 4", .3 magnum revolver for people who want a defensive handgun and have/will only get minimal training. THey are strong, reliable, simple to use and you can shoot light or heavy loads in .38 SPL or .357 mag. I would suggest you start here and have your wife learn the same weapon.

If you decide to take it to the next level, WESTSU is (of course) right on with the GLOCK 19. As long as it fits your hand well, it is a great tool and will serve you well for the rest of your life.

Join that conservation club as soon as you can, meet people and they will usually let you try their weapons. Learn as much as you can from reliable sources and things will start to make sense. Best of luck!

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    9 MM. Ammo is relatively inexpensive so you can keep up your training. Adequate stopping power by most estimates. I know some people think bigger, but bigger typically means a bigger gun that is not as convenient to carry. "A nine in the hand is better than the 40 in the trunk." There are lots of gun reviews on youtube - hickock45 is good. Determine what features make sense to you. DA/SA or DAO, for example. Safety or no safety. After you narrow the field, try to get your hands on those that interest you most and handle them and hopefully shoot them. Practice, practice, practice.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Springfield XD!!! I've got the 3" model in 9mm, great shooter.

I have one also and am just as accurate with it really as my full size XD 45.

I don't know many who carry full size guns... Big heavy and hard to hide. I am 6'1 240 and its obvious when I have the full size on my hip... The sc is hard to see and a lot lighter/less noticeable to me.

I like Glock and XD, only think I don't like about the M&P is the forever long trigger pull.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    There are tons of great suggestions in this thread...

Just keep in mind, different people like different firearms, and what feels good and points naturally for me may not apply to you.

See if you can handle the firearms you are considering. If you find one that feels good that you are seriously considering, you might even be able to talk someone into letting you fire theirs if you pay for ammo.

Last edited:

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    pm

Their seems to be a trend on comments of the hk45 being to big for a carry weapon. I looked up the dimensions and it seems like it could easily be concealed in a cargot pocket or something similar. Either way I doubt that I would have it on me most of the time anyways. Odds are it will sit in the dresser until someone kicks in my door or there is a bug out situation with a likelyhood for civil unrest. The reason I mentioned the mark III hunter is because of its range and caliber. I've seen some youtube videos of people hitting 12" targets consistantly at 100-200yds. I was considering it as a option becuase it is the same caliber as my 10/22 takedown, which will be on my pack if needed, and I would only need to carry one type of ammo. Thanks Tim for the pm, sry I couldn't reply (said I haven't made enough posts yet).

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    Diablo as a side note... You should make the trip up to the NWI INGO Meet and Shoot we hold up here at the Winamac F&W rnage once a month from March through November... Try out all the firearms you can get your hands on, just bring ammo for what you want to shoot, oh and enjoy the tasty cookout they do also...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...son_4_sun_24_mar_2013_nwi_meet_and_shoot.html

Sounds like fun. I might try to make it out there. Its about 2hrs from muncie so I cant commit at this time. I book marked the page and will keep it in mind.

Thanks.

Top Bottom