• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Looking for some advice on buying a Sig P238. I was tossing back and forth between the Extreme and HD with G10 grips, though I am open to other variants too. This gun sure has a lot of choices. I just noticed that there is a difference in weight on the HD variants vs the others. I'm guessing the HD's are all steel whereas the others use an alloy slide. Anyway this results in the HD's weighting in around 20 ounces as opposed to just over 15 for the others. My question is whether or not there is a noticeable difference in how they shoot, specifically recoil? I realize it is only a .380 ACP. But this would be for a female shooter to carry for easy concealment. Of course I wouldn't mind one myself because it is so small and would be so easy to conceal.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I have one strapped to me right now. With a N82 Tactical holster, you will forget that its even there. I can't speak for the heavier versions, but the alloy framed version is an easy shooter. It's small though, I had to adjust how I hold the gun as to not push the mag release during firing. But, that is why we practice.

Just speculation, but the alloy version is such an easy shooter, I can't imagine that the heavier versions would give it any benefit as to recoil.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Looking for some advice on buying a Sig P238. I was tossing back and forth between the Extreme and HD with G10 grips, though I am open to other variants too. This gun sure has a lot of choices. I just noticed that there is a difference in weight on the HD variants vs the others. I'm guessing the HD's are all steel whereas the others use an alloy slide. Anyway this results in the HD's weighting in around 20 ounces as opposed to just over 15 for the others. My question is whether or not there is a noticeable difference in how they shoot, specifically recoil? I realize it is only a .380 ACP. But this would be for a female shooter to carry for easy concealment. Of course I wouldn't mind one myself because it is so small and would be so easy to conceal.

The HD models are all steel frame and slide. The normal ones have an alloy frame with steel slide. fyi.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I have one strapped to me right now. With a N82 Tactical holster, you will forget that its even there. I can't speak for the heavier versions, but the alloy framed version is an easy shooter. It's small though, I had to adjust how I hold the gun as to not push the mag release during firing. But, that is why we practice.

Just speculation, but the alloy version is such an easy shooter, I can't imagine that the heavier versions would give it any benefit as to recoil.

Thanks for the feedback. You confirmed my suspicion with the alloy frame. I know the .380 round doesn't have much recoil to begin with. I just wasn't sure if there was an advantage to having the HD variant or not. At around 20 ounces, the HD's aren't much lighter than my XDs, though still smaller.

I actually met Nate of N82 Tactical at the 2015 NRA Show in Nashville. He is a great guy and I love his holsters for IWB carry.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have the 938 extreme on my hip right now.
    I like the agressive texture for the 9mm and small grip.

My 238 in SAS configuration is one of the lightest recoiling pistols I've shot.

I bought the SAS because it is very pretty.

Ive shot .380 that were harder hitting than expected due to their extreme light weight. The 238 isn't one of those type pistols.
    Unless you have a physical limitation, I don't think you'll have any issues with recoil on any configuration.

Buy the the one you think looks best. ;)

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I have the 938 extreme on my hip right now.
    I like the agressive texture for the 9mm and small grip.

My 238 in SAS configuration is one of the lightest recoiling pistols I've shot.

I bought the SAS because it is very pretty.

Ive shot .380 that were harder hitting than expected due to their extreme light weight. The 238 isn't one of those type pistols.
    Unless you have a physical limitation, I don't think you'll have any issues with recoil on any configuration.

Buy the the one you think looks best. ;)

Right now I am looking to buy one for my daughter. She can handle any of my other guns (9mm and .45ACP) just fine. But this is really small and lightweight for her to carry. So it would be easy to conceal and not too cumbersome with the wardrobe. :):

I just don't want to get her something that is too snappy. I know small and lightweight can tend to equate to snappy. And I've heard some of the polymer options can be quite snappy, even in a .380.

It sounds like the P238 is a soft shooter whether in alloy frame or all steel.

Thanks to all for the replies!

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    I bought my wife the P238 after testing out a number of different other choices. We picked up the extreme model.
    She feels extremely comfortable with it and handles the recoil much better than her 9mm.
    she loves how easy it is to rack and how the grips feel.
    you will be making a good choice with that pistol

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have the Equinox model..... couldnt be happier.

IMG_9883_zpsac5bf6fd.jpg

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    For those with alloy framed models, do you notice it being snappy or any "significant" recoil? I have heard the S&W Body Guard and Ruger LCP are very snappy, even being a .380.

And does anyone have any experience with an alloy frame vs a steel frame on the P238? In the alloys I like the Extreme, Equinox and Scorpion models. In the steel I would go with the HD with G10 grips. I just don't know if the extra weight of a steel slide is necessary with a P238 to help tame recoil. Or maybe there isn't enough recoil there to tame to begin with.

And just for the sake of curiosity, anyone want to weigh in on a Sig P238 vs Glock 42?

These aren't exactly cheap, especially in the .380 offerings. As I mentioned earlier, this would be for my daughter. So I am trying to get something that will work for her. She likes the look, feel and function. I just am concerned with how it shoots. And to honest, I'm kinda wanting one for myself too.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Mine is an SAS model with the alloy frame. I can't imagine why you would need to go to an HD since the aluminum framed models are a joy to shoot. I've owned a bunch of .380s and some are snappy, but the Sig P238 is not. The blowback designed .380s seem to be the ones that are snappy. My only issue with the P238 is that my son absconded with it. He 'borrowed' it a month or so back and I'm probably not going to see it again until there is something better in the safe for him to borrow. I am thinking I just need to pick up another to make sure I have one around. I've found nothing better for pocket carry.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    For those with alloy framed models, do you notice it being snappy or any "significant" recoil? I have heard the S&W Body Guard and Ruger LCP are very snappy, even being a .380.

That P238 shoots like a 22 to me, but take that with a grain of salt....I'm accustomed to 44 magnum revolvers..:):

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That P238 shoots like a 22 to me, but take that with a grain of salt....I'm accustomed to 44 magnum revolvers..:):

That's how it felt to me as well.

Why don't you shoot one?

I know of a certain range in Carmel that has two on the rental counter.

That gun sells itself.

I have to second this. I took my girlfriend's daughter to Point Blank last month and rented one for her and she loved it. When we got home she looked up the different models on the intarwebs and now she's begging me to order her the black pearl model.

And does anyone have any experience with an alloy frame vs a steel frame on the P238? In the alloys I like the Extreme, Equinox and Scorpion models. In the steel I would go with the HD with G10 grips. I just don't know if the extra weight of a steel slide is necessary with a P238 to help tame recoil. Or maybe there isn't enough recoil there to tame to begin with.

And just for the sake of curiosity, anyone want to weigh in on a Sig P238 vs Glock 42?

These aren't exactly cheap, especially in the .380 offerings. As I mentioned earlier, this would be for my daughter. So I am trying to get something that will work for her. She likes the look, feel and function. I just am concerned with how it shoots. And to honest, I'm kinda wanting one for myself too.

So, my experience, granted with rental guns, was not positive for the Glock 42. When I took my gf's daughter to PB, I first rented the G42, which was nice and had light recoil, but we had some type of jam with every single magazine we shot. We put 5 rounds in the mag and did that 5 times. Each time we had at least one malfunction and on the last magazine we had two. It could have been that the gun was dirty, or it could have been a bad magazine. Heck it could even been that the gun didn't like the Midwest reman ammo we were using. Dunno. All I do know is that we took it back and swapped it for the Sig P238 and it ran the rest of the box without a hiccup. Even with the price difference, I'll be buying a P238 and not a G42. Just my experience.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom