• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've been looking to buy a Sig 556R to review and to add to the collection. The 556R is the 7.62x39 version of the fairly well known 556 (5.56mm).

My dealer got two rifles in for me, but I refused them (I just wanted one) because the fit was really bad. The upper and lower receivers didn't just wobble, they wobbled wildly in circles, it felt as if they were broken. The pin holes were over sized and you could see lots of play in them.

So my dealer sent them back and requested two more.

I got the call today from my dealer, he got two more in. I went up and both of the rifles were far better fit than the previous two. I chose one of the two based on the finish differences. They both had minor issues.

Rifle #1 (the one I bought): It was ever so slightly more loose than Rifle #2 and the stock butt plate was hanging off with a spring sticking out. I looked it over, and popped the butt plate back on. Everything seemed to work ok. This rifle didn't have any major issues that I could see in terms of fit or finish outside of this. Ironically, the tag with the QC Inspectors approval was attached to the part of the stock that was boogered up. Since the butt plate is designed to be removed (it comes with an extended one in the box) I figured this wasn't too major.

Rifle #2: It was a little better fit, but the finish showed dings all over the lower. These dings were through the finish and into the metal. I counted 7 of the total.

So now I have the Sig 556R. I'll hopefully get a chance to review it this Sunday on video and I'll post my findings here.

1220194227_AEBao-L.jpg

1220194239_6jJkh-L.jpg

1220194137_2p8vm-L.jpg

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for the heads up on the Sig 556 Russian 7.62x39. I was waiting for this rifle to come out since last year, when the upcoming release was announced by Sig Arms.

But with SIG and their delays I become impatient and pulled the trigger on a PTR32 7.62x39 instead, please excuse the bad pun. lol

But I am going to wait and see if SIG can step up with better quality control.

I like the idea of this rifle in 7.62x39. So as you pointed out, it may take some serious shopping for now, to find a rifle of good fit.

Shades of some AR15s rifle fit and a good old acccu wedge. lol

Good job on the product heads up/review as always.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Have you heard why they are coming from the factory in non perfect condition? That seems crazy to me.

Well, unfortunately Sig USA and Sig Arms of Germany aren't the same entities. Sig USA has manufacturing here in the US and even designs and manufactures US only firearms. They also produce under license traditional Sig firearms like the popular P22x series of guns.

I noticed years ago even the Sig P226's and P220's made here in the US exhibited a general lower quality and more "slop" than their German made counterparts. I've actually owned two P220's that were US made that were unreliable. The German made Sigs I've owned have been of the highest quality and reliability.

I also jumped on the GSR bandwagon and got a lemon there too.

So I reluctantly bought my first Sig product in years after swearing them off about 6 years ago due to quality issues I've personally observed.

So the 556 being of dubious quality wasn't surprising really... I've heard others across the Internet warning the 556 quality was spotty.

But I want a 556, and it sucks I can't have a real Swiss one. This is as close as I'll likely ever get. Couple that with the 7.62x39 and I really couldn't help myself. I really want this rifle to work. So we shall see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Top Bottom