• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arsenal69

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    I love mine... very nice. But, it doesn't like the loose bulk pack of 22lr ammo because some of them are bent.... I only use CCI mini mag 40gr and never had any problems

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I hear they are finicky on ammo as arsenal stated, but overall a good feel of a full sized pistol in 22lr.

I decided to go the P22 route when I acquired mine, but in hind sight wished I wouldn't have let the fear of not running on bulk ammo scare me away. I love Sig.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I was torn between the Skeeter and the Walther P22. I went with the P22 because of so many reports of the Sig being so ammo picky. Haven't shot the P22 yet so I don't really know if I made the right choice.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As with any 22 round, you will need to keep your firearem clean. Some 22s are a little longer in the case and if your firearem is dirty, you will experience failure to eject. That will be your fault and not the firearm fault. I think CCI Stinger's case are longer than the mini-mag's case.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    DO NOT buy a sig mosquito.

Seriously. I've only ever seen people have problems with them. They were designed for German .22s which are loaded hotter than ours. They only function well with CCI high velocity stuff, and that ruins the point of a .22 since they're much more expensive. They're accurate, but mostly you'll use it to practice type 2 and 3 malfunction clearing!!! lol
    I spent forever working on my friend's mozzy and it only got marginally better. I felt really bad because SIG is usually such a good make, and I told her that buying a SIG is usually a good idea if you want quality. Unfortunately SIG really screwed the pooch on that one. I've heard the same story from a lot of other people who bought Mosquitos. Congrats to the guys on the thread who like theirs, perhaps not all of them are equal.

Last edited:

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I love mine. The only ammo I have had trouble with is Winchester bulk, shot federal just fine. I did not try changing the spring with the Winchester ammo. That may have fixed the problem??? Extra mags were a little pricey!

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    They did a test with the Mosquito in Gun-Tests.com and it failed. Here is an excerpt from their test:

Our field sessions began with some fits and starts during break-in period, which were disregarded in our results. When the official firing sessions began, our testers began to have multiple problems with failures to eject and to feed properly. We stopped our evaluation, field stripped the gun, cleaned and lubricated it. The Mosquito was then returned to service. It was still experiencing intermittent problems when a premature detonation occurred. The round went off with an open breech, creating a notable flash and popping sound. Smoke belched from the muzzle, breech, back of the slide, and the magazine well of the Mosquito. Our tester was hit with particles on his unprotected forehead but was uninjured. We retrieved the ruptured case along with a small brass fragment, reviewed the incident, and closed our evaluation according to Gun Tests review policy.

Later, we spoke with Eric Vonbosse, Product Manager for Sig Sauer, regarding our Mosquito’s malfunctions, and eventual catastrophic failure. He offered some insight into what might have caused some of our problems.

Apparently, the German-manufactured Mosquitos have had chambers that were manufactured to a 22 Match CIP specification. There is a tolerance difference with the SAAMI 22 Long Rifle specification that can cause an overly tight fit with 22 Long Rifle ammo. As a result, rounds fired in the gun could stick in the bore, causing failures to extract. Mr. Vonbosse explained that they had addressed the situation with their German factory, and that their Service Department now routinely checked the bore sizing in all Mosquito’s sent to them for repair. When an undersize condition is noted, a finishing reamer is used to bring the suspect chamber into specification.

Mr. Vonbosse could not provide a ready explanation for the catastrophic failure, however, instead directing us to send the gun in for their Service Department to examine. We’ll report the results in an upcoming issue.

Our Team Said: Don’t Buy it. We canceled any further testing of the Mosquito due to safety concerns.

BigSky85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    I've shot everything through mine, with very little trouble. I do prefer the Ruger Mk III though. We have 4-H kids shooting hundreds of rounds through those, with almost never an issue.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    I HAD a sig mosquito. I couldn't get through a magazine without a feeding issue. Also have a P22, great pistol! Shoots anything I put in it. Also any of the Ruger Mk series pistols are excellent.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    As with any 22 round, you will need to keep your firearem clean. Some 22s are a little longer in the case and if your firearem is dirty, you will experience failure to eject. That will be your fault and not the firearm fault. I think CCI Stinger's case are longer than the mini-mag's case.

Glad my MKIII and a friends Buckmark don't know that! My MKIII has over 2,000 rounds through it since it was last cleaned, is still going strong, and I have no idea how many rounds my friends Buckmark has through it, but he says it has been a couple of years since it has been cleaned. :dunno:

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I have one and have no issues with it since getting it broken in. They ship a lighter spring with them now which has apparently fixed their problems. I've got thousands of rounds through it bith CCI mini mags, federal bulk, Winchester dynapoints and Remington bucket. Had issues when brand new, but after about 500 rounds its been flawless.

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I had one, ran every ammo I could find thru it, even CCI's.. Nothing worked, I owned it less than a week and said, I don't need this frustration. Bought it used for $290, sold it 6 or 7 days after I bought it for $275. Glad to get rid of it. Now I exclusively shoot my Ruger 22/45 when I want to target shoot a 22. The Sig Mosquito was One of the worst .22 pistols I ever owned.

Last edited:

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Anyone have any experience with the GSG 1911-22? I've heard their reliability is as good/better than the P22 at about or slightly below the same price point.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    The one I have runs perfect on CCI.

I was told when I purchased it to break it in with CCI and then it would function with Fed and Win bulk pack. 500 CCI rounds later the sig still FTF and FTE bluk pack ammo.

If I shoot any bulk pack I use my Ruger, because the sig will not function with it. The trigger on the sig is the worst I have ever shot. I do like the feel of it because it has the feel of a full size pistol. My ruger is more accurate than the sig, even with bulk pack ammo. Another Con for the sig, it does not have a rear adjustable sight, it has replaceable front sights. I have found this front sight to be a joke compared to the Ruger rear adjustable sight.

I still have the sig but it pretty much just sits in the safe and takes up space.

Top Bottom