Sig MPX, .300BLK AR, or PS90 for a fun SBR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What say you SBR fanatics? None of them really have any practical advantage other than I could use a .308 can on the .300BLK. (I have another rifle in .308)

This would be a "fun" gun more than anything, and I do reload. Current long guns are a variety of 12ga shotguns, a .308 GSR, and a variety of .22s; to give you an idea of my taste.

The MPX would have the most practical ammo, the .300BLK probably the most practical ballistics, and I have always had a voyeuristic relationship with the PS90. I think the PS90 would be the cheapest as well, with the LE discount. (If they still offer it)

Thoughts?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    You've thought it out pretty well. They all have advantages and disadvantages.

I have considered a PS90 a couple of times, but the thought of stocking another caliber always brings me back to reality. Same for the .300. I went with the MPX. I like the pistol caliber SBRs though, as they are fun, cheap to shoot, and very quiet suppressed.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yeah, the idea of holding a stocking level of 5.7 doesn't excite me much either, but unless I can get a PCC in .40 I am looking at a new caliber no matter how I go.

I probably have a number of months (accruing funds) to find people willing to rent me a few minutes behind the rifle to aid my decision.

Please keep the discussion going, I really appreciate any and all feedback!:ingo:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    12509479_10105884581742948_4809182945912433756_n_zpsu6ag177w.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, the idea of holding a stocking level of 5.7 doesn't excite me much either, but unless I can get a PCC in .40 I am looking at a new caliber no matter how I go.

I probably have a number of months (accruing funds) to find people willing to rent me a few minutes behind the rifle to aid my decision.

Please keep the discussion going, I really appreciate any and all feedback!:ingo:

Sig mpx can be converted to 40. I don't know if they have the barrels yet.

If you get anywhere near Kokomo, you can shoot mine.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    From what I understand, if you have a gen1, you'll buy the kit with the gen2 upper. I could be wrong, but I haven't really paid attention since it doesn't interest me.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Interesting I haven't heard that before. Granted my info was from last year some time, I never looked into further. Like you, I have no interest in going away from 9mm.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Do you deer hunt? Ever think you might want to deer hunt?

Want the legal ability to deer hunt should you ever be pressed into it if your own personal situation gets bad enough?

I generally pooh-pooh the .300blk - but as a round that can also be used for hunting if need be... (Yes, I know that in IN that the .300blk isn't legal for taking deer, in season, out of a rifle).

And if you want something "fun" that'll still be fun out to 200 yards or so...

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Want the legal ability to deer hunt should you ever be pressed into it if your own personal situation gets bad enough?

I generally pooh-pooh the .300blk - but as a round that can also be used for hunting if need be... (Yes, I know that in IN that the .300blk isn't legal for taking deer, in season, out of a rifle).

I do deer hunt. . . I use my .308, 12ga, or bow though. ;) This was in KY this year:

It does bring the issue of ballistics to the front again though.

Does anyone know offhand what the comparative ballistics are going to be out of nominal SBR barrels?

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I do deer hunt. . . I use my .308, 12ga, or bow though. ;) This was in KY this year:

It does bring the issue of ballistics to the front again though.

Does anyone know offhand what the comparative ballistics are going to be out of nominal SBR barrels?

.300blk is designed for short barrels, so that's likely going to give it a leg up in the 10.5" or 12" barrel lengths.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Is it true that there is not much appreciable increase in velocity with a .300BLK in barrel lengths over nine or ten inches?

My understanding is this statement is true, WITH SUBSONIC AMMO. You will see increases with lighter bullets going to a longer barrel. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm looking at doing a .300 blackout build next. Too many advantages over pistol calibers as far as ballistics go. Plus the army left their permanent imprint of the AR manual of arms. Not that I can't learn something new, just that I am already so comfortable with what I know.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

300 blackout in a pistol is legal, and in a rifle with a barrel length of 16" or over, but not in a SBR.

I have a MPX, waiting on the stamp to come back, as a fun gun it's a freaking blast, one of my favorite fun guns. I have a 300blk pistol as well, I like it to play around with but no one makes cheap plated 30 cal bullets yet, yeah you get a lot more knockdown power over a 9mm but subsonic 9mm is a blast

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    300 blackout in a pistol is legal, and in a rifle with a barrel length of 16" or over, but not in a SBR.

I have a MPX, waiting on the stamp to come back, as a fun gun it's a freaking blast, one of my favorite fun guns. I have a 300blk pistol as well, I like it to play around with but no one makes cheap plated 30 cal bullets yet, yeah you get a lot more knockdown power over a 9mm but subsonic 9mm is a blast

Yes, the lack of practical utility vs. cost (even reloading) is the only hang up for me regarding the .300BLK. I REALLY like the MPX as i do more research, but dang, that's an expensive project too. . . Less for ammo, but more up front.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Yes, the lack of practical utility vs. cost (even reloading) is the only hang up for me regarding the .300BLK. I REALLY like the MPX as i do more research, but dang, that's an expensive project too. . . Less for ammo, but more up front.

I've got a AR SBR, and I've considered buying a 300 upper for it. They can be had relatively cheap, but I can't justify it. It's another caliber, and an expensive one at that.

The MPX was a no brainer for me, and I bought the first one available. My dream gun is a mp5sd. To buy one or build one is close to 5k. My MPX came in a whole lot cheaper than that. It has the adaptability of an AR. But the size of an mp5.

If they ever start releasing the barrels and other parts for the MPX, you can recreate just about any version of the mp5 made.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I've got a AR SBR, and I've considered buying a 300 upper for it. They can be had relatively cheap, but I can't justify it. It's another caliber, and an expensive one at that.

The MPX was a no brainer for me, and I bought the first one available. My dream gun is a mp5sd. To buy one or build one is close to 5k. My MPX came in a whole lot cheaper than that. It has the adaptability of an AR. But the size of an mp5.

If they ever start releasing the barrels and other parts for the MPX, you can recreate just about any version of the mp5 made.

I will say if they ever make a 10mm, I would be very interested in a MPX.

Top Bottom