• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I've been pondering picking up a 226 but I'm not sold over which variant to get. I'm looking at the Nitron with SRT and E2 grips or the Legion. The infamous reliability video has left me skeptical on the Legion despite all of the additional features. Do you Sig folk believe the standard Nitron would be more reliable than the Legion?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been pondering picking up a 226 but I'm not sold over which variant to get. I'm looking at the Nitron with SRT and E2 grips or the Legion. The infamous reliability video has left me skeptical on the Legion despite all of the additional features. Do you Sig folk believe the standard Nitron would be more reliable than the Legion?

There is no reason to believe that a standard P226 Nitron is any more or any less reliable than a Legion.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area

Which video are you speaking of? My Sig 229 Legion has been 100 percent.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    There is no reason to believe that a standard P226 Nitron is any more or any less reliable than a Legion.

Not true!!! My Legion goes to 11!!! :rockwoot:

The P226 is such a GREAT gun, you will love either one. For me, I love the GG trigger in the Legion, the undercut, etc., but there is nothing there that couldn't be added later via 3rd-party add-ons.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    Personally, I prefer the appearance of the Nitron-finished pistols and that finish seems to be more durable than the PVD gray finish of the Legions. I also prefer the full-size controls (slide release and decocker) of the Nitron pistols to the miniaturized Legion controls. The G10 grips and X-Ray sights on the Legions are nice, as is the SRT sear and safety lever and the Grayguns P-SAIT trigger, but those can be added to any Nitron pistol not so equipped.

The Legions have some frame work that the Nitrons lack including front slide serrations, some vertical checkering on the front strap, a bit of frame relief at the underside of the trigger guard, and some checkering on the underside of the trigger guard. If you really value those features, then you might choose to spring for the Legion.

I chose to buy a CPO Nitron P229 and add the P-SAIT trigger, X-Ray sights, SRT kit, and G10 grips. Buy shopping for sales I bought all of the necessary parts for $300 and installed them myself along with a reduced power 19 lb mainspring. Total investment came to around $800, much less than a new Legion and less than I have seen any used Legion go for thus far. I shot my pistol back-to-back with a Legion P229 and found that the frame relief features of the Legion made no practical difference in how I handled the pistol. But your mileage might vary.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Personally, I prefer the appearance of the Nitron-finished pistols and that finish seems to be more durable than the PVD gray finish of the Legions. I also prefer the full-size controls (slide release and decocker) of the Nitron pistols to the miniaturized Legion controls. The G10 grips and X-Ray sights on the Legions are nice, as is the SRT sear and safety lever and the Grayguns P-SAIT trigger, but those can be added to any Nitron pistol not so equipped.

The Legions have some frame work that the Nitrons lack including front slide serrations, some vertical checkering on the front strap, a bit of frame relief at the underside of the trigger guard, and some checkering on the underside of the trigger guard. If you really value those features, then you might choose to spring for the Legion.

I chose to buy a CPO Nitron P229 and add the P-SAIT trigger, X-Ray sights, SRT kit, and G10 grips. Buy shopping for sales I bought all of the necessary parts for $300 and installed them myself along with a reduced power 19 lb mainspring. Total investment came to around $800, much less than a new Legion and less than I have seen any used Legion go for thus far. I shot my pistol back-to-back with a Legion P229 and found that the frame relief features of the Legion made no practical difference in how I handled the pistol. But your mileage might vary.

Great post, pblanc ......you should post more often ! :yesway:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville

I have a 226 Legion sao and I have over a thousand rounds through without a malfunction, like any other mechanical device needs proper maintenance and care. In my opinion it is well build and fully trust it, there is a lot a variables that can impact the reliability of a weapon but under normal conditions my 226 has been great.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My best friend has a Legion 229 that has been his EDC for a few years. It's got near 10k rounds through it without issue. It's only a sample of one but I'd trust my life to a Sig DA/SA gun all day every day.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    My best friend has a Legion 229 that has been his EDC for a few years. It's got near 10k rounds through it without issue. It's only a sample of one but I'd trust my life to a Sig DA/SA gun all day every day.

Amen ! ..... I do frequently.

i-qFk7dTq-XL.jpg

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    you wont go wrong with either one, but let me ask you this, if you go buy a new car, do you buy the stripped down version with an am radio, no power steering, no ac, and no cruise control?

no you dress it up a little, and that's what a nitron vs a legion is!, my legion has the smoothest action on any gun I own!, spend a little more, get a LOT more! you wont be upset!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I carried standard Sig's for duty and have a legion 226 for personal use. All Sign series are good but I like the Legion a little more just because the refinements are well thought out (checkering even under the triggerguard,sights, reduced yet east to get controls (for that agressive thumb forward grip)

If the added cost are worth it to you only you can answer

Top Bottom