• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I had a 220 SAS. Very good gun. I also had a 220 Carry SAO. I didn't really like that one just because it was a Sig and it didn't feel right to have it in SAO. I'm searching for another 220 SAS but can't find one.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I had a 220 SAS. Very good gun. I also had a 220 Carry SAO. I didn't really like that one just because it was a Sig and it didn't feel right to have it in SAO. I'm searching for another 220 SAS but can't find one.
    I been wanting to get one of those cock-n-lock SIG P-220:D

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    The favorite of my handguns. Fits me perfectly, shoots like a dream. P-220R Carry SAO.

s5ifiq.jpg

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Here is my review of the full sized P220:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_real_world_reviews/243234-review_sig_p220r.html

The vast majority will hold true for the Carry, as well. I didn't see enough of a difference in concealability to go with the Carry and take the reduced velocity and shorter sight radius.

There is no loss in accuracy. Actually head over to SigForum and most people report better accuracy out of the Carry vs. the full size.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Sig Pistols

I have over 20 yrs experience shooting, carrying, instructing and working on Sigs. My agency issued the 228 for spec op's units ( which I was one) and post 9-11 I instructed a number of officer's with the Sig 229 in 357 sig. I own a 220, 245, 226, 228 and a couple of 229's.....Over the years I have shot them a lot, attended Sig's academy and their armorer's school. Nowadays when I carry one it is the 245 ( which was discontinued a few years back - but the 220 compact suffices for it now.) or the 229 in Sig 357 sig. I have shot thousands of rounds thru Sigs, and supervised the firing of thousands of rounds on the firing line. The Sigs that I have worked with are the DA/SA guns which like all DA/SA's are considered " training intensive" platforms, due to the need to learn to decock the piece before holstering, and how to make the transistion from DA to SA during and after the first round. I highly recommend Sig's, you can't go wrong with one, quality product. And the 220 being a 45 is even better.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette

I just got an email from buds this morning with the 220 sas for $679.00. That's a pretty good deal....

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've had a couple of P220s. The P220 carry makes me scratch my head. Doesn't make much sense to chop the barrel off and leave the grip full length, since for carry purposes, it's the grip that typically causes the more significant concealment problem. The other way around would be far better (i.e. decrease the grip length while leaving the barrel alone).

IMOH, the P220 compact, with the reduced grip length is truely the more suitable model for carry. I thought the older P245 compact models were pretty cool too. All are quality P-series pistols.

IMHO, the P-series 45s are flippier than, say, their Glock 30 and 36 counterparts. So, I enjoy shooting the G30 more than the full-size P220. Might be the higher bore axis of the SIG. Might be the dual/telescoping recoil spring and lower bore axis of the Glock. Might just be me and my hand, but that's my subjective experience with the recoil of them.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I've had a couple of P220s. The P220 carry makes me scratch my head. Doesn't make much sense to chop the barrel off and leave the grip full length, since for carry purposes, it's the grip that typically causes the more significant concealment problem. The other way around would be far better (i.e. decrease the grip length while leaving the barrel alone).

IMOH, the P220 compact, with the reduced grip length is truely the more suitable model for carry. I thought the older P245 compact models were pretty cool too. All are quality P-series pistols.

IMHO, the P-series 45s are flippier than, say, their Glock 30 and 36 counterparts. So, I enjoy shooting the G30 more than the full-size P220. Might be the higher bore axis of the SIG. Might be the dual/telescoping recoil spring and lower bore axis of the Glock. Might just be me and my hand, but that's my subjective experience with the recoil of them.

It is just like the 1911 being offered in Government and Commander sizes.

Actually, I had the 220 Compact and it was very hard to conceal especially having the stupid bottom rail. I don't know why you need that on a conceal carry. That is why I like the 245. I know they make some 220 Compacts without the rail but it perplexes me why you would ever put a rail on one.:dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There is no loss in accuracy. Actually head over to SigForum and most people report better accuracy out of the Carry vs. the full size.

There is certainly no loss in potential accuracy in anything reasonably considered handgun range, but in real life use a shorter sight radius will result in reduced accuracy or slower follow up shots. The shorter the sight radius, the more a misaligned sight picture moves the point of impact vs the point of aim.

Same reason that people shoot a 4" revolver better than a 2" revolver. Potential accuracy is the same, and if shot off of a ransom they will likely be the same at 15y or so, but let people shoot them free handed and the 2" will have larger groups.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    There is certainly no loss in potential accuracy in anything reasonably considered handgun range, but in real life use a shorter sight radius will result in reduced accuracy or slower follow up shots. The shorter the sight radius, the more a misaligned sight picture moves the point of impact vs the point of aim.

Same reason that people shoot a 4" revolver better than a 2" revolver. Potential accuracy is the same, and if shot off of a ransom they will likely be the same at 15y or so, but let people shoot them free handed and the 2" will have larger groups.

Trust me I understand the dynamics of a shorter sight radius.:ingo: You are only shaving off .5" of the barrel with the Carry 3.9" vs. Full-size 4.4". If .5" affects your groups that much then you should be concerned with something else. We are not talking 2" when you compare 2" vs. 4" revolvers.

Last edited:

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apparently, same dimensions as a 220 but with more capacity. All of my Sigs are 9mm. When it comes to .45, I like the 1911's. I wouldn't mind any Sig P2XX in .45 though, I just gravitate towards the 9MM models.

Not to derail the thread...I wish we could make an online petition for Sig to put on their big boy pants and make a 10MM. Now THAT would be something special!

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    I have one, I love the gun, the trigger is awsome, the accuracy is amazing, the practice is EXPENSIVE!!!

I tried to CC it but it is just too big/Heavy to do comfortably for me. :patriot:

Top Bottom