Sig P224: Thoughts / Where to find in LGS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I purchased a Sig P229 SAS this year and absolutely love the gun. I'm thinking about a P224 as a smaller carry gun. It would take the same mags as my 229 or a 226, so that's a good thing. I also like the idea of a gun that size that can be shot in SA.

Has anyone shot a p224? If so, what were your thoughts?

I also haven't been able to find one in a store yet. I'd like to at least hold the gun before I make a decision. Does any LGS that you know of have one in stock? I'm located in Bedford/Bloomington area and frequently go to Terre Haute.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Watch the Nutnfancy video on the P224. I'm with him on his thoughts. And not because I'm a fan of his. I agree with some of his stuff and others I don't

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    IIRC when first released they were DAO. Are they now DA/SA?
    P224-SAS-Hero-Detail.jpg

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just picked up a SA 1911 Loaded in 9mm. I got the standard 2 SS mags with it. I sent in the online form and uploaded the receipt and within two days they were delivered from SA in a plastic case. Inside was three SS 9 round mags and a single stack mag pouch. Does anybody have some advice on the factory mags? Aftermarket will only gain me one round so additional rounds aren't enough to get me to buy them unless the factory aren't any good.

I will be taking it to Midwest Gun and Range tomorrow after the gun show to try it out. I will follow up with my results.

jbz400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    United States
    I have the 229 like you said too. I also have the 224 and it is my edc and love it. Not only will it take the 229 mag but you can get an extended one for it at top gun supply.

topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p224-9mm-15rd-extended-magazine.html

The mag is the same price as the 229 and you can take the extended part off and use it in you 229.

As far as I know the 226 mag will not work in the 224.
    Last week bob at plainfield shooting supply had one in stock in the 40 cal, although I have the 9mm.

jbz400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    United States
    I just watched the Nutnfancy video on the P224. He said its "Its just a chopped down classic sig." Well yes he is right.
    Thats the point, to make it smaller. I think the 224 and 938 are both a win. In 2012 it was only in dak now its in da/sa also. When I decided to get it mine my thoughts where these.
    1. 12 round mag or ext 15 round mag.
    2. Its not a full size but not a pocket gun ether.
    3. Width did not bother me. It the length of the slide, that digs in your butt. and the length of handle, that prints on a t shirt.

So 224 fit the bill when carry in side the paints for me.

Also nothing against Nutnfancy but James Yeager said 1911s sucked. Last time I check you could be publicly hung for saying that.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    In my mind the P224 is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It's too big to pocket carry and other compact handguns will disappear just fine with the right rig

theboilermaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    F.W.
    I have a 226 in 40 and I am thinking about a 229 or 224 in 9mm to carry. Any of you guys carried both and have an opinion on one or the other. I know the 938 is supposed to be a great EDC gun, but the safety keeps making me think twice.

Top Bottom