• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatNinja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have been recently looking at getting a Sig 226 for a edc my question is are they worth the money not looking for a 1911 I like the double stack mag. Also how dose it compare to a CZ equivalent like the 75 ? I'm not a double action guy but I'm looking to venture into it. I just don't know if the Sig is worth the $800-$1200. And if the cz is a worthy advisory what is the starting price on those . also if there are any other suggestions for a good double action double stack mag please inform me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yes, they are worth it. Now, that said you can do pretty well with a Sig CPO (Certified Pre Owned) at a hefty discount, say $550: Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

The CZ is a very nice gun it its own respect. Out of the box, I believe the Sig has the better trigger. Those who know more than me on the custom end say the potential on the CZ is greater. They may very well be correct, but you must figure in the cost of top shelf gunsmithing to get there.

Again, comparing factory to factory I prefer the Sig sights and truly dislike the factory CZ sights. That's a personally preference.

I have a healthy respect for both brands, but I no longer own any CZs. I own several Sigs. Others will be along shortly to chime in and say the opposite. The important thing is neither is a Glock.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I would think you'd prefer the smaller P229 for your EDC. I have an older 40 and a newer 9mm with rail. Love the size of the P229!!! I've always stayed with Sig mags. You can sometimes get a really good deal on them thru CDNN. Check their website; and sometimes they have almost free shipping.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am with BBI, you may be better off to just find a more affordable SIG options... Both the 226 and the 229 are among some of my most favorite guns to shoot!

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    BBI is right on the CPO models, I bought one for under $500 and the finish looks brand new, it didn't look to be fired much either, little bluing wear on the barrel .
    If you want to go with EDC I'd consider the 229 as Lee11b suggested.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Take a look at the CZ P07 is a great gun for the money.
    Will have to agree the CZ P07 for dollars spent is really hard to beat. Really nice trigger stock but yes with some upgrades is unbelievable. I really like Sigs and the 226 is on my short list but at the 450.00 or so price point the P07 is just hard to beat!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I have been recently looking at getting a Sig 226 for a edc my question is are they worth the money not looking for a 1911 I like the double stack mag. Also how dose it compare to a CZ equivalent like the 75 ? I'm not a double action guy but I'm looking to venture into it. I just don't know if the Sig is worth the $800-$1200. And if the cz is a worthy advisory what is the starting price on those . also if there are any other suggestions for a good double action double stack mag please inform me.

is a ferrari worth the money?
    is a house in the bahamas worth the money?
    is a victorias secret model worth the money?(well the money it'd take to make her mine)

HELL'S YEAH!

you can NEVER go wrong with a sig sauer! as a owner of 5 yes they are worth every penny, i dont think you can find a better gun ,unless you buy a custom gunsmithed gun, but even then if i had the money to drop on a custom handgun, i'd look having bruce gray smith a sig sauer!

like others have said, if you look around, you can find a used one and get a good deal

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm fairly happy with my M11A1. Accurate, points well, and looks good.

Only thing with traditional Sig styles is your grip, the way I grip most other semi autos won't work on Sigs that great because my left thumb rests on the slide release. Change grip a bit, and no issues.

I like them.

Keep going back and forth on a P239 Tactical one day..

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have several Sigs including a P226 so here is what I think:

First, you need to shoot one. If you are new to DA/DA hammer guns, you will hate yourself for dropping $800+ on a gun you don't like if you don't shoot it first.

And I do not mean 50 rounds at the local indoor range. Put 200-500 rounds through if you can. Get a feel for how the grip fits and how you manage the recoil, reload, etc. This is pretty much true for any gun.

That said, if price is a concern, buy used or CPO if you really want a P226. As recommended above, also consider a used/CPO P228/229 if this will see carry duty. I carry my P226 and it is a big heavy gun fully loaded. I do use 18 round MecGar mags exclusively. The P228/P229 are much easier to carry concealed, especially if you ever carry IWB.

Another consideration to address the price issue, is take a hard look at the SP2022. I have one and it is about the same size as a P229. It is much less expensive and is every bit as accurate as my P226. Honestly. Take the savings and buy ammo, a quality belt and holster, several MecGar 17 round mags, and attend a defensive handgun class.

All that said, if you shoot it well and like it, it is absolutely worth it.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I have been recently looking at getting a Sig 226 for a edc my question is are they worth the money ...

OP, the answer to your question depends on what you mean by "worth it." It depends on what you "value." It depends on what you think you're getting for your money.

Are you buying status?

Are you throwing money at a SIG thinking, as the price would imply, that they're twice as accurate, durable, reliable, etc. as say, a good quality modern polymer pistol such as a Glock, M&P, or XD?

There's a lot wrapped up in how much something costs, and what people are willing to pay, that has nothing to do with how an item functions.

In strictly economic terms, yes SIGs are worth it because they are selling them at these prices.

Question is, is it worth it to you depending on your needs and desires?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Lot of good points here for you OP. I don't own one, but have shot some and my opinion(and that's all it is) is that the Sig is probably the best combat pistol of it's type out there.

I would buy one, but it really doesn't feel as good in my hand as I would like it to. Maybe if I tried some different grip options it would feel better, I don't know.

My point is, no matter what we say, it is ultimately up to you to choose a firearm that you like best. I have bought and sold a couple firearms that I thought would be perfect based on internet input. Now I buy based on what I want. Though I still do extensive research prior to buying as it helps guide me to look more closely at the stuff people like and dislike.

And this is why I sold my 1911 RO in .45 Auto and bought a RO in 9mm.:)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    To fans of them they are worth it. Who knows what you may think without really digging into one. When I was issued a 226, I never carried it off duty. I just have never cared for them. To me they always felt large and ungainly and didn't do anything better than a lot of other guns out there. Clearly this is not everyone's experience.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    To fans of them they are worth it. Who knows what you may think without really digging into one. When I was issued a 226, I never carried it off duty. I just have never cared for them. To me they always felt large and ungainly and didn't do anything better than a lot of other guns out there. Clearly this is not everyone's experience.

This was my feeling with them. I guess I don't have large hands and they felt like a handful compared to my 1911's.

CombatNinja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Lafayette
    Hey thanks guys I really appreciate all the in put really good advice. IM a big guy and have large hands I've palmed a few of the 226s and I love how it feels. I had just recently sold off my full size xdm 40. Great gun but it just sat because I don't care for the .40 cal my wife doesn't want to shoot it and I didn't like that I had to stock 2 different rounds that's it. It would be a range queen and my battle pistol and probably carry it every once in a while. So the size isn't a big factor. When I said is it worth it I meant could I get an equally good gun for less value for the dollar am I really gain ing that much more with the Sig. I carry a glock 19 now and love it I do carry iwb but I carried the xdm owb and it was pretty bulky but as stated earlier I'm 6'3" 230 it didn't stick out that bad . so size do sent matter that !much to me.

Top Bottom